It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would happen if say 1 million people refused to file taxes on basis of govt waste

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I've been on disability for over 5 years and last year they expected me to file just to possibly get 300 bucks. I was mad about the gas hike and felt it was peanuts as a kick back, so I refused to do it. I haven't had to file in over 3 years and wasn't about to now. Many elderly who hadn't had to file were also expected to and were left out.

I'm now worried about losing my SSDI if you people don't pay your taxes........so? Besides, many of you may get money back and not filing would than be stupid.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

Aleon, My father is old enough, that he was working before the social security tax was implimented.. But more to the point, back then your taxes were not "automatically" TAKEN from your paycheck.

Every 3 months you had to actually send (IE pay your taxes) the government your taxes.

Just think about if you had to do that now.. If you are single and claim 0 each week, most likely you pay in about 30% of your gross..

so every 3 months you would be writing a check to the gov. for almost a whole months pay..

If we still had to do that, I'm sure that the taxes would have never gotten as outrageous as they are now..

not too many people notice a dollar per week increase in thier taxes, but over a 20yr span, it adds up..

and if we had to pay a lump sum every 3 months, people would notice a bit more..

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SideWynder

It sure is odd that people are collecting SSI and paying quarterly taxes. It's my understanding these people paying quarterly taxes before retirement were usually self employed?

My family also does this still, long after retirement with 'what's left' of the estate after the recent heavy losses. At least now after these losses, the quarterly payments have shrunk down quite a bit.

Many retired people were wiped out. Property values going way down should also reflect on the property taxes they pay. How can people who were retired and lost their retirement even able to sell their homes now?

Besides, how can people wiped out afford to pay taxes now anyway?

There will be more than likely more than a million who can't afford to pay at all.

At least there wiil be many homes out there to buy for a dollar at auctions.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

With all respect the whole point is that the government has out grown its fiscal responsibility (it has 0).
If people stopped paying taxes then they would literally have more money in their pockets to live with, people are their own best judge of how to spend money, not the government who now has gotten the mentality and culture that they can spend the money on anything regardless of the publics best interest.

Why should 90% of the population pay taxes to manage the 10%?

I don't get unemployment i don't have anything subsidized it didn't give a senator a new wing on their house to get an inflated contract. Take away the huge amounts of money and size of the federal government and automatically the fraud and corruption would leave with it.

Think about it if people were able to keep that 30% they dish out for federal taxes and only had to give 10% wich is a much more reasonable amount how much better the quality of life for the vast majority would be.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Voters are dumb as it is and government playing little hidey games doesnt help. In fact, I'm pretty sure is intensely unethical. How can you make an informed decision as a voter when you cant see whats going around you?

Stop withholding and there would be drastic changes.

Maybe when getting a refund people will stop saying "I didnt have to pay anything this year. I got a refund!" Morons. Evey one of them. And they vote.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I have little respect for the system and the way they manage money like social security which has been robbed. Ironically the same system that was somehow directly responsible for me ending up on disability in 2001 and pays me support through SSDI, also expects me to pay it back when and if I ever go back to work? Right now, there's little I can do but get angry and disgusted and watch my own retirement and inheritance disappear also.

I think they already had a plan by breaking the system to change to a new one. Martial law may be their next step when they push us too far intentionally? I'm watching to see what they do next to piss us off.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If I was to create a Facebook group as a first step to getting more people aboard, would anyone here join? I ask because I would be horribly embarrassed if i did such a thing and got no members, it would be even better if there are other here who would like to be an administrator of th group with me.

I know its just facebook but i view it as a start.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

There are already lots of tax protester and anti-income tax groups.
I suggest joining with one of them rather than continue to splinter the cause further.

The We the People Foundation is a pretty big one: www.givemeliberty.org...

While you're at it read all about why the ADL hates you for not wanting to be a sharecropper the rest of your life. www.adl.org...

It's interesting to note the ADL lumps you in with the KKK. The ADL also labels all militia groups as white supremacists and anti-Semites.

Gotta love the ADL.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I agree that splintering the cause further is a bad idea, but none of these groups have a decent presence on facebook, which i think is an extremely simple way to gain traction, and to tap into a whole new slew of potential people that would be interested in the cause.

That is why i specifically mentioned that outlet, I would want to link to the larger groups so that they are all connected in the cause and dont squable over leadership.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
If big movie stars and well known entertainers with all their money and fame can not get away with not paying their taxes then where is the hope for the little guy?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Those people are ones they make examples out of because they are so public.... Hope for the little guy is in this case sheer numbers. Thats why it will not work if only one thousand did it but if a quarter million people did or better yet one million then we have something.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

You might be right. Heck I think it is our duty to do this. It is a win win situation. If we win we win and unfair taxation is abolished. If we lose we win because we would have done our share for the economy by putting millions of people to work for the IRS to collect those taxes and spending money in billions of peoples pockets for ratting on their friends, family and neighbors.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018

It sure is odd that people are collecting SSI and paying quarterly taxes. It's my understanding these people paying quarterly taxes before retirement were usually self employed?

Actually, when my father joined the workforce in the 1920's, everyone paid thier taxes quarterly, the automatic withholding of your taxes did not start untill later..

When the social security tax started, it was optional for him, because he worked for the railroad, and back then the railroad union employees were exempt. this was changed in the early 60s.(rough guestimate)

that being said, even though my father did eventually pay into S.S.I. he has never collected from it..

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
First, you incorrectly state that 90% of people are paying for 10% of the population which is incorrect to begin with. In 2007 it was closer to 17% of Americans who were getting some form of Social Security benefit and the majority of that – 63% - were retirees who far from not contributing, have been paying into the system their whole lives. It’s not a freeloader assistance system. And if you don’t believe me just see what happens if you become disabled – or perhaps more effectively if your parent or child becomes disabled and dependent on you. Do you think that you could provide for you and a disabled child for the rest of both of your lives? Few people are so fortunate. Most rely on disability or survivor benefits to help out and makes this possible. It’s fine to say that people could just save up their money instead of it being taxed but there’s a reason that Americans have a negative savings rate. No matter how much money they get, their needs always rise to meet that level. Someone here spoke of the time prior to social security. It might help for some of you to go back and look at how senior citizens made ends meet prior to that. Social Security was not a system invented for no reason. It was a response to a crisis in this country that saw the aged and disabled living in – literally – the street, shacks, sheds and tenements. This all for people who had been hard workers for years. The few people who receive benefits who have not paid into the system generally fall into two categories: children and people disabled from birth. Are you seriously going to tell me that people who are born with Down’s Syndrome or severe autism should just be out on their own and if they can’t hack it then tough luck? Come on. If I get killed I know Survivor SS benefits won’t be raising my kids because it really doesn’t provide that much money but it will provide a little money to make sure their basic needs are provided for which is the purpose of the program – to avoid critical poverty for children the elderly and disabled.

Oh and don’t start taking the “the federal income tax is illegal” thing seriously. If you buy that then I have an exiled Nigerian prince who would like your email address.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

actually fica, (fed tax) and SSI are supposed to be two differant taxes that go for differant purposes, (check out your pay stub, seperate withholdings) If they were used that way instead of SSI going into the general fund. I would not "bitch"..

I believe what the point here is.. Most people do not mind paying thier fair share of taxes As long as it is used and spent responsibly.. which unfortunately it has not been..

When the gov. needs more money instead of cutting waste it just takes more out of our pockets..(I know it is a simplified annalogy) trying not to get too bogged down on a complicated matter.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by SideWynder]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SideWynder
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

actually fica, (fed tax) and SSI are supposed to be two differant taxes that go for differant purposes, (check out your pay stub, seperate withholdings) If they were used that way instead of SSI going into the general fund. I would not "bitch"..

I believe what the point here is.. Most people do not mind paying thier fair share of taxes As long as it is used and spent responsibly.. which unfortunately it has not been..

When the gov. needs more money instead of cutting waste it just takes more out of our pockets..(I know it is a simplified analogy) trying not to get too bogged down on a complicated matter.

Thank you, I agree exactly. My desire is not to not pay any taxes, but rather to force the federal government to dramatically cut its budget and size. SS is a noble thing when its not being used as a piggy bank for special groups.

My sole desire to get the govt to be more responsible with the money and take out the corruption (which can be done, i refuse to believe that corruption will always exist).

Take a lot of the money out and diminish the size and the corruption will leave with it.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
In 1999 it was reported on average 67 million inhabitants of the US did not pay or file their taxes. How much greater do you suppose that number is today? Nevermind the FACT that there is no law requiring the average American to even pay or file. How do you suppose they are dealing with those types of numbers when they cry tax evasion. Don't be suckered - they're not as powerful as they would have you believe. The people have been and will continue to be the Power in this country if not only through our sheer numbers.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by KMFNWO
In 1999 it was reported on average 67 million inhabitants of the US did not pay or file their taxes. How much greater do you suppose that number is today? Nevermind the FACT that there is no law requiring the average American to even pay or file. How do you suppose they are dealing with those types of numbers when they cry tax evasion. Don't be suckered - they're not as powerful as they would have you believe. The people have been and will continue to be the Power in this country if not only through our sheer numbers.

Thats not much help, when the federal reserve has the power to print money out of thin air. So whether people dont file or not the Federal Reserve wil continue its practice of trying to destroy the dollar. The point of the protest would be to make it vocal that the people no longer want the fed reserve who has failed so miserably in charge.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
good question,,, however

there aren't 1 million americans with the backbone to do it,,,, imagine 3 or 5 mill or 10

even that should be possible,,, but isn't

i hate to say it,,, but we americans are to comfortable,,,
we forget the founders said,,, if you can keep it,,,,,,,we ain't and not even close

we're to busy!!!!!

although young people do encourage me,,, they're getting involved in politics and have the umph and maybe the gumption to do something

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
In the UK we had a poll tax in the 1980's, where you had to pay a fee set by your local authority, which was the same for everyone regardless of income. There were two ways out, don't pay and face court, or forfeit your right to vote. Hence this 'Community Charge' was called a Poll Tax, Margaret Thatcher whilst fighting communism took away the universal right to vote. 1m people are though to have stopped registering to vote (the poor) and 1m more registrered to vote and refused to pay for this right. Many were fined, many went to prison or were credit black listed, many paid up to avoid prison, and Thatcher was kicked out of office by Heseltine who was to pay for this by being permanently hated by the Conservative Party, because he stood up for the right to vote.
We still have people who will not register to vote because of this.

In your scenario, I suspect that your government would call in transparent auditors, take out the most serious cases and dependant on the result of the audit, everyone would stump up or leaders would be voted out. It's a pretty silly question really, it's the tax type that winds people up, we all know there is an ongoing battle between the corrupt (or imaginative policy that needs time to demonstrate itself) types and the accountants.

[edit on 24/1/2009 by redled]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join