It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's an injustice to NOT marry girls aged 10, says Saudi cleric

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
10 year old girls? Really? Looks like they raised the age limit since last time I checked. Last I heard they could marry toddlers. You should check it out. And watch the video linked there. These guys are serious.

Muslims can marry toddlers and have sex with 9 year old girls?

This is a real eye opener for me , The world has some issues that are not gonna be solved any time soon , The Muslims are in charge of there women from start to finish, And the western world wants to change that , No wonder we fight all the time , its a moral issue not a religious issue

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by DisgustedOne

heh.. well yes. You seem not so much a Fundamentalist, per se, but someone interested in the fundamentals, if you get my drift.

I hadn't thought of it in quite that way, but yes, the fundamentals. And what are the fundamentals?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Love thy neighbor as thyself.

These are principles, that in my estimation, transcend any religion. If humanity as a whole could simply embrace these two concepts, we would not even be having this discussion.

I am, I suppose, a dreamer, but I have attempted these last few years of my life to live by this code. It has served me well so far.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DisgustedOne

Thats a great post

You're right that the world would be a better place if people just simply practised those benevolent guidelines.
Fundamentaly,I don't think moral integrity has any exclusivity with organised relgion but I would add
"do not think or feel you are superior to others -treat everybody with the same worth"
to your list.
As for fundamentalism,I suppose if it does not cause harm to others or incite bigotry,prejudice or delusions of grandeur then people should be free to beleive whatever they wish.

I think fanaticism is a different subject altogether though and very dangerous to society as a whole - especialy when its fuelled by organised religion like the extremist wahhabi mentality is.
I think Winston was right when he said:

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Winston Churchill

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by MacDonagh
Why do people continually bring in "but Christians did this!" when we argue about the immorality of what some Muslim guy preaches? In the end, it doesn't matter. Talk is cheap, and bitching about it doesn't change anything.

Quite simply, it is because threads like this are used to promote fear and hatred of 'The Other'. Christianity...the dominant religion on these shores... is invoked in response because it prompts one to look in the mirror. This kind of thread is used to dehumanize people so that it becomes ok to go there and kill them.

An edit to say that bitching does do something...it generates discourse. It's sitting around doing nothing that accomplishes precisely that.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

I didnt put this thread up to promote fear and hatred that was not the intent , but if it has that effect I welcome fear and hatred into a thread about the Raping of young girls by MUSLIN Clerics under the disguise of religious beliefs ,

PAKISTANI police raided a child marriage ceremony in the city of Karachi and arrested a cleric who was presiding over the wedding of a 4-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy, police and residents said.

Pakistani law says people must be 18 to marry but some Islamic laws allow girls to marry after puberty. Despite the laws, young girls are often given away in marriage to settle disputes or pay off debts.

Police said they raided a house on Thursday evening following complaints from residents, including a former district government official, Nazakat Hussain, who said the girl was being married off by her father for about 500,000 rupees ($6138).

"We had noticed some gatherings at this house for a couple of days. Last night I went there and saw that the little girl was actually getting married. So we called the police," Mr Hassan told Reuters.

Some other residents said the marriage was taking place to resolve a long-standing family dispute. Police said they had arrested the boy's father but the girl's father had run away.

This is ongoing in the Muslim world, People fear SHARIA law and will do crazy things

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Does anyone know if they are just 10 year-old GIRLS that are being given away for marriage, or if it is also BOYS?

Quite honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if it was just girls.

These girls haven't even gotten their period yet.

Maybe this would have to do with making sure she is a virgin before she gets married.

Sick sad little world.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

But catholic priests sexually abusing young boys is ok, right?

That is a completely different subject matter.

Everyone knows it wasn't okay. Even those men that did it knew it wasn't okay.

Obviously we have set rules here in the United States that other place that are marrying off 10 year old children do not.

Oh and might i mention that catholic priests aren't the only sexually abusing young boys; many people across the country are too.

NOT just catholic priests.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by lovelyn]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thank you for the comment.

You bring up a good point: Fanaticism vs. Fundamentalism. I think many people confuse the two. HunkaHunka's posts and now yours has helped me to flesh out my own thoughts on the subject. Blind fanaticism is most certainly the bane of our existence, the cause of much turmoil, hate and discontent in the world. I think many fanatics have given true Fundamentalists a bad name. I hope I haven't come off as sounding superior, for that was not my intent. I know where I came from and it was not pretty.

Back on topic - while I think that most Muslims are fundamentally good people (I work with several that are) I think the fanatics among them have given them a bad name as a whole, same as Christian fanatics have hindered Christ's message. I have had my own struggles looking past that. Will humanity ever truly mature past the adolescent level? I think not without divine help.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The injustice has been done too many times when innocence is taken away in this manner.

There is no justice that fosters fear in young children.

Fundamental rights to procreate has been grossly out of line on this one.

I am not happy to read about older farts marrying young children.

[edit on 2009-1-28 by pikypiky]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by arnold_vosloo

Originally posted by yenko13

Muslim clerics are having there way with young girls and the world turns a blind eye , No one want to be the one to say there are sick but I will this is too much when children this age are pawned off to get married
There are no statistics to show how many marriages involving children are performed in Saudi Arabia every year. And it's also not clear whether these unions are on the rise or whether people are hearing about them more now because of the prevalence of media outlets and easy access to the Internet.

www.dailymail .co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

But catholic priests sexually abusing young boys is ok, right?

Dude..... You misunderstand the point. I got no hidden message saying it was ok for Catholics to do it, unless i missed something. But obviously it would make more sense to get the word out and tell people some of the sickening and sinister actions that are goin on around the world! If it is such a bad thing to have this bought to your attention, then why did u tollerate it when the media did that for you when it was the Catholics turn to have their cupboards emptied of its skeletons.

And to give you something else to chew on........was it all the catholic priests together having sex with little boys? Or was it the occosional priest? Like the occasional average Joe that does too!

People like you are what ruins above top secret. One of the first replies is you giving the author of the post hassle. Sorry, when did he say he was the one who though him so go and put your angst elsewhere!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

You are not having a civil discussion with me, you are misquoting me, completely changing what I have said to something that fits your claims, and ignoring how your own sources prove you wrong. Why in the world would you assume that I would not find this insulting and offensive. You pretend people in Western nations approve of child molestation, when clearly they do not. The U.S. made it against the law for people to go over seas and have sex with children, even if it is legal in the country where they have gone, and yet you bring up this stuff as if everyone is fine with it.

The west clearly does not approve of child molestation, while there may be some disagreement at what age to draw that line when it comes to consensual sex, this is clearly a big issue in Western nations, and there is no reason why we shouldn't be loudly and publically denouncing the practice in Muslim nations. Muslims clearly have no problem denouncing Westerners when they don't respect their culture, even putting out death threats against cartoonists, and you take offense at Westerners condemning legal child molestation in Muslim countries.

How can anyone not see what is wrong with this level of double standard?

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join