It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypocrisy and Double Standards of Some Americans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I must admit I think the hypocrisy and double standards of some Americans quite incredulous. Here we have a group of individuals who scream and rant about their right to bear arms and the right to defend themselves either at home or abroad but yet deny those same rights to others.

What is their problem, are they just too stupid ignorant and arogant or is it something else. How can one have the viewpoint of stating that if they were attacked by their Government, military police or from external forces they would fight back. These proud and patriotic Americans constantly talk about all their guns how big they are and all the rest of it and what they would do come sit x but yet when others do the same they are wrong.

Why is it other people be they Palestinians, Iraqis or Afganis when they decide to exercise their rights they are wrong. Oh and there just not wrong, they are fanatics, terrrorists, insurgents, rag heads, sub human, wise words indeed from the knuckle dragging classes of America. So why the double standard? Why is it that some Americans think its proud to stand up for your rights freedom and liberty but then state otherwi+se to others.

I know education standards are falling in the US and most of the people don't travel abroad but there must be some reason for this attitude. Could it just be the media and brainwashing works, no it cannot be that as these people know about rights etc. so what could it be, superiority over others possibly.

Or maybe these people are just plain ignorant knuckle dragging morons but whatever there must be a reason, an answer to this hypocrisy and double standard. Perhaps if such people could explain their views and stance then the rest of us could understand.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I dont think its nice to use such a wide brush to paint a picture of America/Americans...sure we all know *those* americans here on ATS who are both ignorant and stupid at the same time(you know who you are),but many others are open minded and down to earth people,who are not blinded by meaningless patriotic America is the best mentality..although admittedly there is a higher percentage in America than the rest of the world but thats quickly spreading around the world,especially here in the uk.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
I must admit I think the hypocrisy and double standards of some Americans quite incredulous. Here we have a group of individuals who scream and rant about their right to bear arms and the right to defend themselves either at home or abroad but yet deny those same rights to others.

What is their problem, are they just too stupid ignorant and arogant or is it something else. How can one have the viewpoint of stating that if they were attacked by their Government, military police or from external forces they would fight back. These proud and patriotic Americans constantly talk about all their guns how big they are and all the rest of it and what they would do come sit x but yet when others do the same they are wrong.

Why is it other people be they Palestinians, Iraqis or Afganis when they decide to exercise their rights they are wrong. Oh and there just not wrong, they are fanatics, terrrorists, insurgents, rag heads, sub human, wise words indeed from the knuckle dragging classes of America. So why the double standard? Why is it that some Americans think its proud to stand up for your rights freedom and liberty but then state otherwi+se to others.

I know education standards are falling in the US and most of the people don't travel abroad but there must be some reason for this attitude. Could it just be the media and brainwashing works, no it cannot be that as these people know about rights etc. so what could it be, superiority over others possibly.

Or maybe these people are just plain ignorant knuckle dragging morons but whatever there must be a reason, an answer to this hypocrisy and double standard. Perhaps if such people could explain their views and stance then the rest of us could understand.

Good afternoon to you Mr. Loveable...

I have never seen such a rambling, shrill, mindless, hate filled chant like this before. Congratulations!

You say American are name callers...Wow...you are definitely American then.

When your actions interfere with others ability to live safely and freely, you must pay the price.

Before you rant on that is what Americans do save it.

Palestinians started the intifada because Sharon walked on The Dome of the Rock.

Iraq invaded Kuwait and gassed its own people and built a nuclear program.

Afghanistan was the petrie dish for 9/11.

Please take a deep breath before responding. You are embarrasing yourself.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

There is the kernel of an interesting topic contained in your post , but you buried it with phrases like "ignorant" "knuckle dragging" "morons" ....... not exactly the best way to engage those you wish to discuss with. I.M.H.O

Perhaps you should try again .

P.S. stereotypes are just plain lazy. Be specific if you have a genuine gripe.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I think that it is a western problem in general, not an American issue.
It really is not fair to say "all Americans" of even generalize most Americans... i believe the word is xenophobic!!

I think that the majority of any nation/country are idiots or are too comfortable in their own lives/ideals to want to know the truth or think critically about serious issues..
I get just as mad with people and their ignorance in the Uk...

Not a good way to engage people or have a serious discussion about ignorance or double standards... when you have displayed both yourself.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Oh I forgot to add Americans who cannot read properly, I said SOME Americans I did not say all. And I have called no one I am merely posing questions for those Americans who do have this double standard to explain it to all of us.

So if there are any Americans out there who think that way perhaps they could explain their position, reasoning and attitude for that line of thinking I would like to hear from you as its important.

I must admit the replies thus far are not encouraging as some cannot see the difference between asking pertinnent questions and turning it into a hate rant. perhaps thats an early indication of why some Americans think the way they do.

The first thing you are hit with by some is how dare you speak about us or our country and it is just that kind of attitude as to why I posted this thread.

CRMANAGER, if you are having problems understanding this thread is about what I posted, its not about any of the things you mentioned its not about America or Americans trying to justify the crimes they have committed merely why do they think the way they do and the double standard.

BLUP, read again, not all Americans, not most Americans, SOME Americans.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The truly ignorant are the anti-Americans who still believe it's nation vs nation and race vs race, what they need to realize is that it's never been that case.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
1. its an "us and them" thing
2. if you are big and powerful you don't have to understand the little guy - he has to understand you! (at least its easy for them to think that way)

I don't think the Americans have a monopoly on this kind of hubris. Every powerful country has spawned such arrogance and ignorance amongst its population. I'm sure its in the human genome somewhere.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by wayno]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
WAYNO, I quite agree, I am a memeber of the BE and when I was growing up we were the best and only inteligent race on the Planet. But then I grew a brain and started thinking for myself. What I don't understand is that many people understand the concept of standing up for yourself yet quite a number of Ameicans here have this double standard that none Americans don't.

The way I see it if your an American and you believe in the constitution, liberty and freedom and you really do uphold those values how can the same person deny it others. The mindset is to fight for what is right so why the complete turn around?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Oh I forgot to add Americans who cannot read properly, I said SOME Americans I did not say all. And I have called no one I am merely posing questions for those Americans who do have this double standard to explain it to all of us.

So if there are any Americans out there who think that way perhaps they could explain their position, reasoning and attitude for that line of thinking I would like to hear from you as its important.

I must admit the replies thus far are not encouraging as some cannot see the difference between asking pertinnent questions and turning it into a hate rant. perhaps thats an early indication of why some Americans think the way they do.

The first thing you are hit with by some is how dare you speak about us or our country and it is just that kind of attitude as to why I posted this thread.

CRMANAGER, if you are having problems understanding this thread is about what I posted, its not about any of the things you mentioned its not about America or Americans trying to justify the crimes they have committed merely why do they think the way they do and the double standard.

What pertinant question did you ask? You are all over the place.

You start spaeking about the right to bear arms. No one I can find said that Arabs don't have the right.It goes to attacks by the governement then it goes to Middle eastern Nations that have attacked others being able to defend themselves.

I see nothing about Americans justifying the "crimes" they commit.

Slow down and try again Happy Boy.

Slow down, take a breath and retstate your thoughts.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Why not Brits?

As i said, i find my fellow countrymen/women as ignorant as Americans or anybody else for that matter?

I just think you have targeted a nation/people unfairly.

Just my 2 cents, or should i say pence?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Speaking for those who want to keep their guns and feel that the "Radical" "Fundamentalist" "Terrorist" Arab shouldn't be allowed to have their guns. The rest of them can have what ever gun they want to protect life home and property. But if they are living in a terrorist camp, planning to take out Americans, yeah, they shouldn't have guns. And really it doesn't stop there. If you plan to commit a crime, or have committed a crime with a gun here in the good old USA, the punishment should be harsher because implication a far greater crime you are showing you are willing to do with that gun. Guns aren't for all, just those responsible to use them.

[edit on 1/14/2009 by bigvig316]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Well first I think you assume that if a person is willing to defend themselves they must also agree with everyone else’s reasons too or be a hypocrite. In the case of Israel and Hamas, a person can make a choice as to who they think is the one defending, and who is the aggressor, or you can say both are wrong on many levels.

I’m not sure your point in all this. Yes, Hamas can attack Israel if they want, but then no one should complain when Israel brings overwhelming force back at them. Personally I feel since Hamas cannot win a direct confrontation with Israel they are taking the wrong and very dangerous approach to their issues. For me to think this am I a hypocrite, or a knuckle dragger? I see that both sides are wrong, but I also see Hamas continually push for aggression from Israel. Do I think the Palestinians are fanatical? No, but do I think Hamas is fanatical? Yes.

Am I fanatical in my own way? Maybe.....

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

The way I see it if your an American and you believe in the constitution, liberty and freedom and you really do uphold those values how can the same person deny it others. The mindset is to fight for what is right so why the complete turn around?

I think you're assuming all Americans share the exact same set of values. I think that would be a poor assumption. You're probably also assuming it's correct to project those values on others. That, would be a huge problem.

It would be extremely unlikely to find any two people that share the same value set.....not entirely impossible, but improbable enough that the attempt may be fruitless. Different values of different cultures would more than likely make the attempt impossible.

It's entirely possible that you're engaging in discourse with people that don't project their personal values on other cultures, that can see issues without filtering the details through those values, and attempt to make reason of things in a "value-less" way. That ain't easy....for one, it tends to make the results seem to lack any sympathy or empathy; and sometimes events occur that are so strongly against one's values that separating them is impossible. But that, I think, is the right strategy for digging into what are problems that appear to come from differing values.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

if your an American and you believe in the constitution, liberty and freedom

I would say you have a good point on this one. The typical American sees these things applying only to Americans. They could care less whether countries in Central and South America are led by dictators or warlords, or whether or not there is or isn't freedom in other countries.
If they are getting their constant supply of oil, food, goods and resources from them that is all that matters.
It is an inconsistency. And it is true!
In spite of the rhetoric from the White house, spreading democracy, justice and civil rights to the rest of the world is of little concern to the typical American. But they do bleat on about those rights in terms of their own lives to be sure.

Now before I get hammered here let me be the first to acknowledge that not every American is like this - just the majority of them.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigvig316
Speaking for those who want to keep their guns and feel that the "Radical" "Fundamentalist" "Terrorist" Arab shouldn't be allowed to have their guns.

Thats another point

Apparently arabs and terrorists have no right to use weapons unless they are fighting a war against the Israelis

Whats with that?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What I am trying to find out is that by reading comments from certain Americans here on ATS being proud of their own identity, country and rights who condem others for doing the same.

For example if an American states that they dont agree with the imigration of say Mexicans into the US and feels that people should stand up to this why do they then say some thing different when it relates to others. Such as the indigenous peoples of the ME being shunted around and persecuted.

Its not about Brits or anyone else becuse in the main when it comes to talking about guns, rights etc. it is usally American members who are the most voiciferous. There is nothing wrong in that and we cannot use the Brits as such as a model as we don't have a constitutaion and we don't have the right to bear ams.

But its more of a case of that is a person feels very strongly about such matters why do those views change when its about some one else. Thats what I'm trying to find out as normally people would identify wih the plight and struggle of others if they are patriotic themselves and have such strong feelings about freedom liberty and justice. It would be like a Frenchman saying those who stand up for themselves are wrong, that just does not happen does it because the French stand up for themselves and others.

If one holds such strong and important values why do they change when applied to different people? Again I am ony referring to the comments I have read here on ATS which I know is not representative of the American people but then I was not asking that but why these people have a double standard.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wayno, well thats an honest reply and it is that mindset that I am trying to understand and get answers to.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Well I suppose everybody has a right to defend themselves but if you want double standards and hypocrisy just go try building a church in Saudi Arabia.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join