It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drudge reports sudden collapse of Mexico possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Here's the El Paso story linked via the Drudge Report...

www.elpasotimes.com...

Interesting report. Reading between the lines, it sounds like things are worse in Mexico than people realize and that China might be interested in intervention of some sort. Story says that if Mexico collapses, the US military would have to act as a safeguard of "homeland security".

Strangely, they attribute a possible collapse to drug lords.

Something about this story doesn't make sense. They're not talking about an economic collapse, but it sounds like they're saying the drug cartels may win a civil war with the Mexican government, in which case the US military would need to go to war with them and then before the article is done, China gets involved to secure Mexico's oil for themselves.

Am I reading this wrong? It doesn't make much sense unless they are really meaning something else might be the real cause of a collapse.

It's unnerving when mainstream media come up with these warnings of impending meltdown. Where there's smoke, there's fire?

What do you think?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The U.S. military report, which also analyzed economic situations in other countries, also noted that China has increased its influence in places where oil fields are present.

That is the whole mention of China in the article. Not exactly damming. I would at North Korea to the list of Pakistan and Mexico as far as sudden collapse. For major international players anyway.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Also today, on NPR's "The Diane Rhem Show"...

"Mexican Security and the U.S.
Violence from Mexico's drug wars continues to spin out of control and the FBI now says Mexican cartels pose the biggest organized crime threat to the United States. A look at U.S.-Mexican cooperation on crimefighting, trade, and immigration, and what may change under the Obama administration."

O.K., so maybe the China mention in the first report had nothing to do with Mexico, even though we, in Texas, have heard rumors for years of border sightings of Chinese military units engaged in "exercises" with the Mexican army. Well, allright, just rumors.

It's interesting that they're saying the drug cartels could destabilize Mexico to the point of "sudden collapse".

I think what is more likely is an economic collapse and they're just using the drug lords as an excuse for the real reason for concern.

The surprising thing, to me, is that drug cartels have had a lock on Mexico for decades and the country's people are used to poverty, so I would think that Mexico is somewhat immune to "collapse".

If it did collapse, I could envision an emerging superpower like China wanting to step in and unload a lot of money to enter into a situation with the drug lords for natural resources. I think China would love a permanent military base in Mexico as a forward base near the USA, just as the USA has created a forward military base in Iraq, at the back door of both Russia and China.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

Chinese Corporations for the most part make up the bulk of Chinese international ventures. From paper makers, iron miners, gold producers, oil drillers etc, they invaded Africa and put the people to work ..

The size of actual Chinese military presence is limited essentially to several thousand (mostly in Sudan) .. and a few economic and military advisers..

China it's self does not typically send military ventures out far away from home.. while China has a huge population and an incredible economic GROWTH rate, they actually are not "that big" as far as military powers go..

To put it into perspective, China's economy grew 11% last year, however India's grew by 9% and Russia by 8% .. emerging economies always have higher growth rates then established economies. It does NOT point to a growing power of any kind..

Technically any ways, the EU has the largest economy in the world, followed by America, Germany, Japan, and then China.

Mexico might have better odds of being invaded by Guatemala then China.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The US would never allow another country to take over Mexico! Are you kidding??? If it gets that bad I am sure our military will be stretched even thinner and have to go "police" them. Sad, we should have already done something, but nooo, we had to go and attack Iraq! Our governments officials heads are sure way up their a _ _ es!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
There was an article not too long ago that the US gov't is nervously watching Mexico and may have to deploy military if the drug cartels come into the US.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Joint Command fears collapse of Mexico

If this happens, will Mexican nationals come streaming across the border at unprecedented rates, prompting the start of "REX84" and FEMA camps?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Follow the money here...

The 'War on Drugs' is just like the 'War on Terror'. Never ending amount of enemies to support an ever increasing war budget to fight a war that can never be won.

This could be an excuse to step up the War on Drugs, of course benefiting specific corporations and causing further inflation of dollar for a broader set of goals.

There must also be a more specific set of goals seen here by the TPTB.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Big Oil would love the collapse. See, Mexico conned US oil companies a long time ago to come on down and develop their oil fields for them. Then, once everything was built and in place, the Mexican government booted them out. And thats basically how PEMEX came to be.

And Big Oil has not forgotten this, as far as they are concerned, its theirs.
They did all the hard work, they want it back.

Drug Lord coupe? US military intervention? Smells oily crafty to me...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Here is an article from our local paper. The government is part of the drug trade themselves, so there is no aiding them to help fix the situation.

www.zwire.com...

new topics

top topics

join