It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media sharing on ATS?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I just suggested an idea over at this thread about ATS having its own news channel and having members be the "out in the field" type reporters making news clips.

From other thread.

Maybe for future possibility, and with the move for ATS to have its own media outlet and video/audio channels as discussed in the other thread, ATS could have its own version of a news program and channel..ATSNews.

I think it would be a huge success! Have members submit news stories, be the "out in the field" style reporters making their own news clips on video and submitting them to run on the news channel, everything just like the majors, except not the major's biased and controlled method of reporting news.

I think it would be a great addition to this endeavor!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

The simple posting of a video with no commentary or explanation as to why it was interesting/posted in the first place never has been acceptable here at ATS. Does it happen? Yes, and it will continue to happen unless the membership help the staff by using the ALERT button. We average over 6,000 new posts a day here, the staff simply can't check them all.

That's one of the main things that I like about the work done here on ATS that sets it apart from a lot of other sites out there.

The MOD's often do a wonderful job of keeping things on topic but I agree that the amount of material that has to be sifted through can be a daunting task.

Personally I don't have a problem following embedded links to videos or outside sources but I do like the idea of higher quality, and easier to post material that can help support a given topic and clarify ideas.

Thanks for the continued improvements. It shows dedication to an idea that has helped many people take part in subjects that are often overlooked or dismissed by more "mainstream" outlets.

Keep up the good work and thanks for allowing the users to offer their input.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
My major concerns would be off-topic videos and copyright issues, but that's really all. I think it would be a good add to the site but I hope it doesn't detract from the boards.

I personally probably wouldn't use it, but we do post many videos in the UFO and Crypto forums, and now maybe we could post more news segments and things, it might be a good idea.

Go for it. If it pulls on ATS' resources too much, we could always take it off.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I doubt I'd be uploading anything personally, but I could definitely see myself watching videos that others put up there. I did watch some of the premium videos that were shared already by ATS, and if members put up some interesting ones, I'd probably take a look at them.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I was wondering when 'debating threads' or 'debating heads'
is coming out to this forum. This comes in youtube as 'video response'.

I know that 'agents' can triangulate your face and boom - heres your
ID... and thats the whole purpose of an alias and stuff.

BUT

I think could be amazing to watch and contribute... imagine that
instead of monotuos text.... you know, face expression and
body languague adds WAY more subjectivy than letters to any
con versation..

thats just me... im not afraid of cams...

BUT

there could be nudity issues... hehe.. moderators could have a
hard time...

[]´s
RP

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I say we should go for it.

I can only see this as an improvement for the ATS community. I think it would even put us at yet another level higher than all the similar websites.

Go for it!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I would love ATS to host that type of content. I can't get to YouTube from my work, and I'm missing out on a lot of video's posted from users.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Yes! Yes! Yes!
It's part of progress. In today's competitive world, one has to keep running just to stand still! Remember, the aim is to make ATS the best.

So bash on. We're with you!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I think once established, i would use this service quite often.

There have been many times while reading threads on ATS, that someone has mentioned a photo or video and i have gone off site to hunt for the file.

It would be a lot easier and more integrated if it was all in one place as it were.

spikey

[edit on 15-1-2009 by spikey]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

often, occasionally, or not-at-all? And if you'd use it, are there any specific features that you'd like to see that would make ATS-centric media sharing more convenient for you?

I would use this feature, Often.

Now as for convenient, As you well know.. You can't please them all.
I would try to work on what is good for you and the site.. And what is convenient for you. As a member, I can say I don't mind putting forth a little extra work when its for a good reason.
I think having a level that makes it a little harder is a good thing..
Forces people to use their minds, and thats a good thing, IMO.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
1) Premium video channels with revenue-share for expert contributors
2) Basic video channels for user-generated/uploaded videos
3) Unrestricted (for members) upload space for images
4) Semi-restricted (for members) upload space for audio files
5) Unrestricted (for members) upload space for other media (such as PDF files)
6) Integrated tools to embed your uploaded media into ATS threads
7) Ability to create your own video/photo channels like Flickr and share with friends
... first, is this a service you would use often, occasionally, or not-at-all?

1) not-at-all (due to crap bandwidth in South Africa)
2) not-at-all (due to crap bandwidth in South Africa)
3) occasionally/often (great idea)
4) not-at-all (due to crap bandwidth in South Africa)
5) occasionally/often (great idea)
6) occasionally/often (great idea)
7) occassionally

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'd love to see a management-run historical section, where every video available about important and troublesome events is collected together.

This could be a valuable resource for future generations.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Great ideas and improvements.

2nd line added to appease the gods. lol

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I would be interested in viewing high quality videos but with some restrictions. I would suggest that the video follow some particular topic line or guide. I don't want to be looking at a U.F.O video and have to watch someones video of them playing air guitar. Thats what You Tube is unfortunately for. If you are looking for your 15 minutes of fame at least put it under a topic headline so that the quality of the video feed isn't wasted on me. I'm also hoping that when you say high quality video you don't mean You Tube "quality".

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I vote Affirmative. It is where it all is going. Go there now! Video in higher formats is the natural path for media, so push that as you can. Great for UFO area. Good direction to develop to now.

The external links process for media on ATS has been hard for many to master, and you also have varied qualities. At least for the exclusive video here it will be perfect. I haven't seen the supported formats and codecs. I know you guys have a handle on that.

Exclusive video could draw some attention to ATS, so marketing points for that. I would avoid pushing the envelope of moral and extreme limits until well thought out. At least until the security and oversight is seasoned and alert.

I'm all for the concept, but need to peruse the spec for my own application. Keeping the user interface simple, intuitive, and with a ubiquitous formats, generated by common software, inexpensive and available to all will expand users naturally. Well,... members anyway.

Wheres the play button???

ZG

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I am not entirely sure what people are complaining about when they mention YouTube quality. If they mean the quality of video picture then I don't see what they are complaining about. I think that that level of video quality would be fine as it would mainly be for people hosting videos of themselves explaining there theories so picture quality does not need to be overwhelming.

However it would be difficult to moderate video content quality which might be what some people are getting at and I can understand there problem with that.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Great idea! I had so many problems trying to get the recording of Edgar Mitchell up, then linking back to this site.

I look forward to uploading more stuff.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It's a great idea i would like to see a more varied selection of video to watch. More UFO related, certainly. I've never been unhappy with the service you lot have provided anyway, im sure whatever you decide it will be pretty damn good.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Before we take the plunge with something like this... first, is this a service you would use often, occasionally, or not-at-all? And if you'd use it, are there any specific features that you'd like to see that would make ATS-centric media sharing more convenient for you?

Thanks.

I don't count myself amongst the most active members of this forum but even I could say I would use this feature occasionally.

I like that ATS would have full control and ownership of the content. This could end up being very important in the future.

Good thinking ahead and good work all.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
one ` application ` of your services that would be wel received would be hosting the origional full res footage of UFO / cryptid encounters etc - heck even members footage of breaking news events and contrevertial occurances

as , to put it bluntly - the compression of youtube / google etc SUCKS - and often people get reduced to arguing over compression artefacts

once you offer the service - the only thing we have to worry about = getting people that took the footage to send it to you :p

Absolutely, that's what I was thinking, and if was downloadable to view offline would be awesome. That would be a great resource for video collectors.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join