It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media sharing on ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I believe the proposed media service to be a good idea especially for the uploading of video and PDF files.

I believe that a "YouTube" style media player for videos would be best (unless you plan on making an app for members to download before they can use video) as that is the one I find works the best compared to the video players on sites such as bebo.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Couple things for your uploading properties.
(Im sure you know already, but I will type it out regardless)

Im sure as a site owner you are quite aware of privacy and redistribution/copyright laws when it comes to letting members of your site
upload audio/video files on their own(esp if they dont own that right for certain audio/video files). Just something you might want to check out before getting involved in that, because im sure you have to have staff members screen for such things.
Like I said, Im sure you already know, just a heads up.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Sounds like a good thing for the members.

I've never used the one we have now but probably will use in the future.

Go for it.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Not something I have thought about, but if you are after a robust platform (and I dont know or work for these guys) then may I suggest drop.io... as they handle media and conversions, an API for you to link in this forum and the ability to handle paid content. Perfect. It's the easiest file handling site I have ever come across.

Honestly worth trying and exploring.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I'm new and got sucked into the Yellowstone saga as it was unfolding so haven't utilized it. Would be a shame not to have all those capabilities you've listed, considering all the great work I've seen in the thread so far. It sounds great - I'm all for it.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I'll chime in on this as both a site administrator and as a general user.

Simply put, video, sound and pictures do NOT equal content, and in fact, every time I've ever seen it introduced to a site, or brought to one of my sites, the amount of actual CONTENT (ie, news, stories, replies, etc) as well as the quality of the remaining content takes a nosedive.

I know already I see too m any news articles on the main pages that just have a video and a one liner blurb that effectively says "watch this!" and leaves nothing for discussion, description, etc. Any kind of research behind it is also usually omitted since it seems the old 'its on tv so it must be gospel truth' applies.

Now, I don't always get along with most people here, ok, rarely get along is more precise, but at the same time, one of the reasons I keep coming back is the usual amount of actual research done on some of these topics, which range from "pretty adequate" to "damn fine". Videos and the like preclude this and often seem to inhibit it.

I'm all for innovation, originality and pushing the envelope and at the same time, i'd hate to see this place fall to the 'shiny bits and useless crap' syndrome that has killed so many other sites.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Sounds good!!

As someone else mentioned minimum requirements for video posting...if it could be set similar to the Breaking News, that would eliminate a lot of repeat postings of vids, weed out spam type videos, and require video posters to expand on their thoughts and reasons for posting the vid(s). Too often there is simply a link to a tube vid and little or no comment relative to it.

Unlimited upload space for members is awesome and many would use it.

Premium videos do need a bit more promotion - I have seen all of them so far but not via ATS.

I think the proposed changes would be great!! They could be initialized on a trial basis to measure the value of them as well...no doubt if some weren't useful the additional space on servers could be used for something else

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
So we're now considering the addition of a more robust media hosting environment that would completely replace both our premium video channel and our member upload space. The services would include:

3) Unrestricted (for members) upload space for images

Please, yes! I for one really wish this would happen, as I find myself triaging my member space, and constantly trying to get file sizes down at the expense of quality. In fact, I might even suggest that an auto resizer be included to generate 3 preconstrained sizes, maybe as an option: 1- Thumbnail, 1- Display ready for posts, and 1- max resolution, unchanged from upload. That way, all I gotta do is provide the big image, and the auto sizer does the rest, leaving me with three usable images I can link to and embed in posts.

4) Semi-restricted (for members) upload space for audio files

Semi-restricted? Can you elaborate on this a bit more? You have an idea of the upper limit on file size yet? Are you going to raise it so that we can improve the quality of podcasts? Obviously music podcasts could benefit, especially just from encoding mp3's at higher bit and sample rates.

5) Unrestricted (for members) upload space for other media (such as PDF files)

Not sure I understand why the restrictions on some some files while not on others, just based on type.
Isn't file size more the issue, except for copyright and usage concerns (which is a related but separate issue.) ?

6) Integrated tools to embed your uploaded media into ATS threads

Yes! While we have some already for images and videos, I agree there could be better integration of new tools to embed these things into posts.

The goal is to have a dedicated ATS media upload/sharing environment where our members can contribute media that is in line with the topics covered here.

That's a good goal. And while we have it to a degree already, overall what you are considering here will keep ATS on the cutting edge of website/forum technology. I am all for it!

In addition, I have asked before for ATS to consider making all member avatars mandatory to be hosted on ATS servers instead of from some questionable sites, for many reasons. A post you never responded to SO. I know you're busy, but would have really liked your feedback in there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The more ATS can reduce its dependency on outside servers to host content, the better, more secure and faster I believe ATS will function. And that includes ad servers too.

Thanks for keeping ATS the best!

TA

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Before we take the plunge with something like this... first, is this a service you would use often, occasionally, or not-at-all? And if you'd use it, are there any specific features that you'd like to see that would make ATS-centric media sharing more convenient for you?

I've tried over the past months to load the video channel. But it won't load for me-on the computer I plan to keep. I did get it to load on another, and it was a real treat to watch a member's video conspiracy. Especially haunting. That sort of message wouldn't have come out any other way.

I wonder if you do this, SkepticOverlord, the revamped video channel with the new provider, if there would/could be a way to load the video page at a bandwidth choice, like many of my internet radios have. 36k. 126k. Broadband light. Broadband heavy. Hear the tune, but not neccesarily in on stage 3-D surround sound, in other words-but have that option too.

I don't feel alone with the memory or bytes issue. I feel about level with any 'non gamer' with a predisposition of photo and article collecting. Things that slow the hardware. I'll upgrade, but not anytime soon. I can put my laptop in a backpack-but not everything I want to keep with it in other words.

I couldn't make use of the channel. I feel that it was built by a gamer, with a gamer's mind, and a gamer's environment and expectation of the status quo. But, I saw it once, and it seemed like it could really go places in the realm of user documentaries, better placed here for their audience than on YouTube.

The only luck I have with video and ATS is the user embedded YouTubes. Can you do something like that with ATS? The application of embedding clips from the ATS video channel into the forum posts, maybe with a minute limitation for size and a weblink to the channel-or no limitation. That would be interesting. Even though I can't access it-it would be interesting.

Bye, thanks for the query and opportunity to 'feedback'.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by HugmyRek]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Bravo, Bravo!

This is wonderful Bill!

With the current censorship of videos on certain topics on sites like YouTube & Google Video, this is not just a good alternative but a very much needed alternative. The people need a good alternative, free of censorship to get the word out and educate others about the REAL stuff that is happening out there in the world as suppose to the spins and lies the MSM & government officials spits out at everyone.

The internet as we know it is under attack and threatened to be replaced by a heavily regulated and censored Internet2, but they will never be able to fully take it all away. We need multiple solid platforms (like this one) to use on the current system if we are going to succeed.

Will I use it?

Yes of course I will, as soon as I am able to get my lazy but off of things like (World Of Warcraft) and do something productive.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This is a totally awesome and great way to revolutionize this web forum and elevate it to a media source. As long as we adhere to legal and copyright issues, I see this being a stepping stone to perhaps having our own servers dedicated to media and eventually to may be a mini youtube or googlevideo just for, monitored and content provided by those who want to Deny Ignorance. It may be a few years down the road but why not look ahead and perhaps plan for something like that.

Anyways Cheers to the Team and to the all the members who have posted awesome videos and pictures i have enjoyed, pondered, and debated.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
1) Premium video channels with revenue-share for expert contributors

Excellent - though I would contribute RARELY, I'd view material OFTEN.

2) Basic video channels for user-generated/uploaded videos

I'd contribute OCCASIONALLY but use the feature OFTEN.

3) Unrestricted (for members) upload space for images

I'd use this OFTEN.

4) Semi-restricted (for members) upload space for audio files

I'd use this OCCASIONALLY.

5) Unrestricted (for members) upload space for other media (such as PDF files)

OCCASIONALLY.

6) Integrated tools to embed your uploaded media into ATS threads

OFTEN.

7) Ability to create your own video/photo channels like Flickr and share with friends

OFTEN.

And with number 7, it sounds like implementing a member blog wouldn't be too hard, eh? (Which I would use OFTEN by the way.)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
My vote is "GO FOR IT!" - with, of course, some of the prudent caveats already posted.

Yes, I would take advantage of it, especially the access to the ever-richer content and multi-media unavailable otherwise.

Tastefully done, diligently executed, professionally monitored, these features would certainly elevate ATS up to the 'next step' - and I for one am grateful for being invited to go along for the ride.

If planned and implemented with the same expert focus on quality that I've come to appreciate ATS for thus far, then, well, I can hardly wait...

Carry on!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I haven't really been a participant in any of the services brightcove offered, but with this new description which you provided seems like I very much would.

I am extremly tech savvy, being an IT guy, but I would like to get a good grasp once this is implemented on how to use it.

I think one of the biggest challenges here would be information architecture. How to teach the users to use these features.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I haven't read the whole thread but would like to mention that it would be awesome if, when the service is up and running, somehow all links to the present material - if it's currently hosted on the original service - be redirected to the new location.

I would hate to see a whole lot of threads with dead links for this reason... [grin]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think its all a good idea. It will allow exclusiveness to video and photo content from contributing members and ease of management of those files. Why shouldnt ATS/BTS have its own media outlet?!

Just hope the bandwidth utilizations are also realized and some form of balance is maintained. Hate to see a great idea get canned because of bandwidth issues.

Also dispite this is 2009, there are members who still rely on dialup access. So there has to be a minimum and maximum standards established to accomodate both the broadband and dialup issues.

Also there would need to be content management. Last thing you need here at ATS/BTS is to become a clone of youtube and those other video sites that are littered with nonsense and totally rediculous, useless content. Let all that sillyness stay over there, and let this new endeavor here contain actual content that is usefull and meaningfull.

Overall, an excellent concept and it definatley should be implemented!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Rest assured we will strictly enforce the requirement for original thought (commentary and introduction/reason for interest) to accompany any video uploaded to the new service.

The simple posting of a video with no commentary or explanation as to why it was interesting/posted in the first place never has been acceptable here at ATS. Does it happen? Yes, and it will continue to happen unless the membership help the staff by using the ALERT button. We average over 6,000 new posts a day here, the staff simply can't check them all.

Bandwidth is no problem for us. We have LOTS of bandwidth available and can easily add more if needed.

This new feature can be something really special that should inspire much new discussion and hopefully create an outlet for the members who have the desire to venture into multi media production that will give them a huge audience right off the bat.

It's all about our community, if we work together to make sure this is used in accordance with the high standards we have here at AboveTopSecret.com it will be a very valuable tool for us all.

Springer...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Rest assured we will strictly enforce the requirement for original thought (commentary and introduction/reason for interest) to accompany any video uploaded to the new service.

Most excellent! It should reflect a level of professionalism and be something to be proud of to submit!

Bandwidth is no problem for us. We have LOTS of bandwidth available and can easily add more if needed.

Well..lets get the show on the road!! Ive got a bunch of video and audio hardware just sitting idle waiting to be put to some use!

This new feature can be something really special that should inspire much new discussion and hopefully create an outlet for the members who have the desire to venture into multi media production that will give them a huge audience right off the bat.

It's all about our community, if we work together to make sure this is used in accordance with the high standards we have here at AboveTopSecret.com it will be a very valuable tool for us all.

Springer...

It has my full support! Speaking of video channels, will there be an option for members if they are able to stream through their channels or will it just be limited to file on demand?

I suggested in the ATSMix 2009 suggestion thread that the shows be live, have live call in's and stream across the net, syndicate the show for other online stations to sign up and carry it, and build a huge internet network of the shows. Perhaps members with original content and ability to do live stuff can also do this via ATS? Just a thought.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I would like to suggest an active adult section that will be a venue for graphic crime scenes and the photo evidence associated with it. There is a tremendous amount of evidence that is denied ATSer's because of blood and nudity. I quit posting my photo's and video's on ATS because of these constraints. I was advised i couldn't show black dahlia crime scene photo's on ATS. Gentlemen there is a plethora of unsolved murders and missing people, nearly a million a year that can't be addressed because someone might be upset seeing a little blood and nudity. Google runs everything i make, literally thousands of pages just google debris765nju. Disclosetv is currently showing my uncensored black dahlia crime scene which i have updated using modern technology. ATS need a better host for their videos, youtube just doesn't get the job done for you. I upload my videos to disclosetv without a go between or the problems of uploading from my pc to youtube than from youtube to ats. I hope you get something worked out because ats has really been going downhill with all the paranoia and war mongering. good luck debris765nju

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I agree with Nerbot that some common-sense user rules would help all of us get the most out ouf ATS media sharing.

Also, please do as much as possible to provide access to any needed format changes for users wanting to upload materials in various formats.

And make it searchable, please. An advanced search function is really crucial when users are trying to combs through tons of videos.

Can you support browsing of the videos by topic and by date?

Thanks, people. This will be a great feature that I will use frequently, mostly as a viewer, but I might find video to upload from time to time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join