It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media sharing on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Hello members...

Our "Premium Video" experiment is about to expire through no fault of our own -- our video hosting provider, Brightcove, is discontinuing the hosting service for which we subscribe.

However... it was intended as a short-term effort to gauge the need for our own technology to host and video and other high-bandwidth media files such as high-resolution photos and audio. While the overall interest hasn't been stellar, it wasn't bad either.

So we're now considering the addition of a more robust media hosting environment that would completely replace both our premium video channel and our member upload space. The services would include:
1) Premium video channels with revenue-share for expert contributors
2) Basic video channels for user-generated/uploaded videos
3) Unrestricted (for members) upload space for images
4) Semi-restricted (for members) upload space for audio files
5) Unrestricted (for members) upload space for other media (such as PDF files)
6) Integrated tools to embed your uploaded media into ATS threads
7) Ability to create your own video/photo channels like Flickr and share with friends

The goal is to have a dedicated ATS media upload/sharing environment where our members can contribute media that is in line with the topics covered here.

Before we take the plunge with something like this... first, is this a service you would use often, occasionally, or not-at-all? And if you'd use it, are there any specific features that you'd like to see that would make ATS-centric media sharing more convenient for you?

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
7) Ability to create your own video/photo channels like Flickr and share with friends

1) Sound fantastic. This could be a great way to get some good investigative stuff out of our members. Revenue-share is always a good incentive.

2) A necessity. This is being used a lot right now to some very good ends.

3) Awesome!
I for one know I would make great use of the increased upload space for images.

4) A fantastic addition. I think there is a lot of possibility here for things that could really help contribute to discussion.

5) This is a wonderful idea. With as many members as we have that claim they have documents and other "classified" materials, this would be a perfect avenue for them to share.

6) Wonderful. I know a lot of members (especially newer members) have a hard time getting media uploaded onto the site. Some new tools would make things a lot easier for a lot of members.

7) I think you would see a TON of use out of this. Members are always looking for avenues to express themselves and share with other members here at ATS.

Overall I think this sounds fantastic. This is something I think we'll see a lot of interest for. Another great step for ATS!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The idea of being able to access and share high grade video as well as audio fits well with this site. Most of those I have observed in the ATS family seem to be very techy with the exception of a few.

Although those who do not or have not taught themselves to take advantage of all the bells and whistles on this website do seem to enjoy a well presented thread complete with photos and such.

Video/audio/web is a great menage' a trois.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I for one you like to say thank you for the excellent content and free availability in the Premium Video section.

I have taken full advantage of this and watched every video on there and was very impressed with everything about it!

So I would hate to see it go, and would even be happy to contribute a (reasonable) yearly / monthly access fee to keep it going.

ATS is one of the very few places that offer such an excellent service to it's members, and again I would like to congratulate you all for a job well done!

Please, please, please go ahead with your new plans!!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Absolutely.

If there was a 'dedicated to ATS/BTS' feature such as this it would make sharing videos,pics and music MUCH easier.
(If the 'project podcasts' were redirected to BTS would be the icing on the cake)

I know there's a few people showed interest in a shared music project,but were not so keen on sharing personal emails to forward the tracks.

What kind of bandwidth are you guys considering?

For this purpose,as long as the server accepted stereo *WAV files to '16 bit' even,it would provide audio pretty close to professional results.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
sounds like an awesome idea, a lot of work for u guys, but worth it
I would be a consumer/viewer of other's vids more than a poster most likely
the expanded space for pics would be of benefit probably to any user, me for sure
I was thinking this might draw even more people to the site; including non members to view vids posted here.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I think it's a good idea for ATS and its members.

I personally wouldn't use it.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
one ` application ` of your services that would be wel received would be hosting the origional full res footage of UFO / cryptid encounters etc - heck even members footage of breaking news events and contrevertial occurances

as , to put it bluntly - the compression of youtube / google etc SUCKS - and often people get reduced to arguing over compression artefacts

once you offer the service - the only thing we have to worry about = getting people that took the footage to send it to you :p

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well, the year is 2009, we have made major technological advances, and this is an online community. Awesome idea, I would utilize this. There is only so much words can describe and even YouTube likes to remove video they decide to censor.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I have watched a few of the premium videos, but wasn't aware it even existed until quite recently.

More prominent advertising and easier navigation (to the videos) would really help.
I think it's an excellent feature and you guys should try to keep it if possible

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think it's a great idea.

The only problems I see are the bandwidth cost and the monitoring of copy-righted material.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I have watched only a couple of the premium videos, although I enjoyed them and thought they were well made with good points.

As for unlimited space for image uploads, that would be great. They say an image is worth a thousand words. Although some blurry pics of UFOs might only be worth 20 words, its nice to be able to easily share images with fellow members to help illustrate your message while posting. Using photobucket (and like services) just isn't quite as handy, and I have personally experienced trouble once or twice which forced me to upload the image to the ATS server anyways.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I would use it to put up twenty videos I have made. I saved the originals that I used to put on youtube and would be happy to have them on here too, especialy if people could download the better quality versions. The last one I made was 16:9 for 1080p format playback. It did not work right on you tube so I had to make another version. I have some PDF files of some documents (over 500 pages) I have created that I could make available here for people to read.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I love the premium video section. It may have been underutilized because unless you're really looking for it, it's not easy to find. Like the ATS Gear section. I've watched a couple of them and they're very well done. Had I known they were going away, I would've probably watched more of them.

I'd definitely be a viewer and not a contributor.

So, sure if there's a feasible way to keep a section of available professionally done videos along with member generated content, I'm strongly in favor.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Sounds great BUT...could you please add some conditions to things like Video-posting to avoid a barrage of threads containing clips with little or no discussion or opinion from the OPs.

There's enough "tubes" out there that contain stuff like that eh?

A simple minimum text requirement (similar to the "breaking news" forums) would do the trick.

My only other concern is the complete security of our files and the file-base. Can this be guaranteed. Would anyone else be entitled to access other than the member & ATS network? I presume "posted" files would be freely available and copyable and could not be made secure but it's the member "store" of content I was concerned about.

Otherwise, great stuff.

Recommendation: Automatic "watermarking" of all posted material, especially videos for FREE ADVERTISING when shown on sh*tboxes like "youtube". l

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
The idea of being able to access and share high grade video as well as audio fits well with this site. Most of those I have observed in the ATS family seem to be very techy with the exception of a few.

I think this is a great idea I for one would like the ability to analyze Higher resolution images and videos of some of the more questionable "Evidence" presented in some of the threads posted.

And as mentioned in the above statement I agree that some would be lacking in the basics so maybe a simple in plain English explanation of the how’s and why certain things are done the way they are.

I have had to help other members learn some of the basics and although threads that explain certain aspects of previous Audio/Video abilities here at ATS, even though they are well thought out they are not for the less tech savvy.
Maybe a basic step by step tutorial with screenshots?

Again I think this would be great guys!

[edit on 14-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
as with everything, it is content, rather then the medium used to view it. but it is a step in the right direction SO and i support it 110%...uhhmm...
hopefully no pop-ups for adverts

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
S.O If i may respectively ask.Is this going to effect the podcasting area of ats?.

Or atleast the way we upload?.Or are you reffering to the member upload space area of the memcenter?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Sounds like a lot of work! I will report that I too have visited and used the premium video you have had hosted elsewhere, but the content seemed rather static and once you have seen what you were interested in there was no point to go back to it.

I hope that you can maintain the quality standards as above posters mentioned.

I wish you success and offer any assistance a plain old 'user' can provide.

MM

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think it's a good idea for ATS and its members.

I personally wouldn't use it.

Seconded...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join