It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Man sold teen daughter into marriage for cash, beer, meat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Police: Man sold teen daughter into marriage for cash, beer, meat

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- A California man sold his 14-year-old daughter to an 18-year-old man for cash, beer and meat -- then called police when the prospective bridegroom didn't live up to his end of the deal, authorities said Tuesday.

Marcelino de Jesus Martinez, 36, of Greenfield, California, was arrested Monday and booked into the Monterey County Jail, Greenfield police said in a statement. He faces felony charges of receiving money for causing a person to cohabitate, police said.

Martinez had arranged through a third party to have his daughter marry the older teenager, identified by authorities as Margarito de Jesus Galindo, of Gonzales, California. In exchange, Galindo was to pay Martinez $16,000 and provide him with 160 cases of beer, 100 cases of soda, 50 cases of Gatorade, two cases of wine, and six cases of meat, Greenfield Police Chief Joe Grebmeier told CNN.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Now.... at first glance I felt like ...

"What in the world? Does this man even care about his daughter? The poor thing!"

Then I read this...

All those involved in the case are from the western Mexican state of Oaxaca, the police chief said. In the Oaxacan community, such an agreement is "normal and honorable," he said. "In California, it's against the law."

In Oaxacan culture, the food and beverages are provided by a prospective bridegroom for the wedding, Grebmeier said.

Authorities believe the young girl went with Galindo willingly, and no coercion was involved, he said. However, the girl is four years younger than California's age of consent, although the law does allow 16-year-olds to marry with parental consent.

First I think it is mighty standup of the Police Chief in this situation to explain that the father is not a Monster. The Father is acting according to his culture, and the daughter went willingly. However, as the chief points out... it is against the law here in the states.

I'm just happy to see that not only was justice served according to our laws, but that the Police Chief was outwardly stating that this type of arrangement was noble in the suspects culture so as inform the public that, although illegal, and to most of us suprising, the act was done in the spirit of honor.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join