It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird. Humming sound with ears closed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Ok, I've had this problem a few times using this Acer Generic brand computer. But I've yet to put it to the test.

I hear a light humming noise when I'm using the computer, I have fairly sensitive ears. I just figured I was picking up some kind of electronic feedback.

So just now I said, damn that noise really ticks me off. So I closed my ears, hands over them. Continued hearing it, not as high of a level but heard it very clearly. Then I plugged my ears, and could still hear it.

Is it just because it's a high frequency noise? I am going to see if any of my accomplices can testify to hearing the noise as I do.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
OK, maybe I am missing something here, your computer makes noise and...?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
If your surroundings calm without any noise at all?

If so, then you might hear a humming sound due to the air moving inside the ear, this is similar to how, you hear a wind like sound when you hold a sea shell near your ears.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
No no no no no no. It's only in the room with my computer.

It occurs as soon as the computer as turned on.

And I can hear it with my ears plugged, like it's in my head.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Is that room large, and try hearing for that sound when the computer is off. Because, it might such a simple thing like this. And also, if what I said earlier was correct, you will hear it more loudly when you plug your ears.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Errr, I don't know if you're understanding.

The sound most definetly is being generated by the computer, I walk away from it the sound dims, I come closer it gets louder, I plug my ears it dims a tad bit.

I'm just wondering if it's because of a high frequency electronic feedback, or if I for some reason can hear electricity. =\

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Revolution-2012]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Ok, if you are sure that it is from your computer, then touch the CPU and see if it is vibrating with very high frequency.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Ahahaha I would do that but it's not actually my computer so I can't disassemble it which I very easily could I know how to build them from the ground up, so I'll just perform an easier test and have the owner of the PC verify there is a weird high frequency sound that they can also hear, and if they can that'll be the end of that....

If not I am the magical electrical hearing man.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I'd check out whats inside make sure everything is in proper order fans, wires nothing touching the motherboard that isn't supposed to or ask an expert to look at it but chances are that's the sound it will always make, unless it's just a noisy fan, or noisy cd/dvd player? my computer has 2 fans, well 3 fans and it's as loud as a car from 100ft away at all times, it's common.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingunknown

Old computer or really high RPM fans? Got a gaming system? PCI-Express Dual SLI? That usually makes your comp sound like a bohemoth.

Nah I think it's just the sound the computer makes. It is interesting I can hear it with my ears plugged though.

x_O

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Ok, I've had this problem a few times using this Acer Generic brand computer. But I've yet to put it to the test.

I hear a light humming noise when I'm using the computer, I have fairly sensitive ears. I just figured I was picking up some kind of electronic feedback.

So just now I said, damn that noise really ticks me off. So I closed my ears, hands over them. Continued hearing it, not as high of a level but heard it very clearly. Then I plugged my ears, and could still hear it.

Is it just because it's a high frequency noise? I am going to see if any of my accomplices can testify to hearing the noise as I do.

Wait until you start making out talking....you are in for a ride, buckle up.

Do you live under power lines?
Do you have any hearing damage?
Do you trim your ear hair (inside canal)?

Fans are the worst....be careful. You start making out words or music...anything that isn't normal. Put ear plugs in immediately and do not listen any more for the sounds. That is my advice...best of luck.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

I dont live under any main powerlines....

I don't live under them in general I think, and it only is associated with the computer....

I don't think I'll be hearing anything talking. And if I do.... I'm going to pack my bags and go to Canada. Cos I'm already sick of America.

No hearing damage,

Although i've shanked my self with a q-tip once or twice.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

reply to post by flyingunknown

Old computer or really high RPM fans? Got a gaming system? PCI-Express Dual SLI? That usually makes your comp sound like a bohemoth.

Nah I think it's just the sound the computer makes. It is interesting I can hear it with my ears plugged though.

x_O

Can you hear it when you are not in that room even?

High frequencies shouldn't penetrate to bad. You start getting down to 200hz-50hz range it is going to hum at longer distances, the longer the wave as you go down. Hearing isn't going to pick up much lower then 30hz-20hz, if not higher depending on the health of your ears.

Peace

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

I dont live under any main powerlines....

I don't live under them in general I think, and it only is associated with the computer....

I don't think I'll be hearing anything talking. And if I do.... I'm going to pack my bags and go to Canada. Cos I'm already sick of America.

No hearing damage,

Although i've shanked my self with a q-tip once or twice.

That sucks. You know what works great to clean out your ears and it feels crazy.

Hydrogen Peroxide...couple drops...especially if you are getting a throat or ear infection. It will kill it immediately and it feels like smurfs are dancing in your head. Don't worry, they don't talk...lol

Best of luck.

Peace

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Really it just depends on the wave pattern of the sound extreme wave patterns one way or the other can easily pass through solid objects.

Take a bass speaker for example if you have the right equipment and you produce a low frequency well I'll give you an example might be easier to understand.

I had a car with a huge speaker in it to produce bass. The speaker took up the entire hatch back portion of my car and used the back portion of the hatch back as a box built around the sub woofer.

Had crazy bass and one day I pull up to the gas station and left the car running and ran in.

When I left the car barely any noticeable bass only thing I noticed was the car frame was vibrating.

However when going into the gas station I could hear my bass as if I was still in my car. The waves were leaving the car and hitting the gas stations windows and after passing through the windows the sound became hear-able again.

It has a lot to do with waves length, strength, reverberation, etc.

So basically what is happening is quite normal but it can be very annoying depending on the waves intensity and the length or lack of. If it is caused by something mechanical you can't change it without changing the mechanic causing it. Therefor if you can narrow it down to 1 thing you should just be able to replace it for relatively cheap. If it's actually coming from something electronic like a circuit board, although I've never personally seen that happen, that could potentially be a bad sign.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Argh!!!

New problem has arose.

Last night after being on the computer for a substantial amount of time, and turning the computer off, the sound persisted?

And when I woke up it was gone... Now it's back.

I think they're sending cancerous waves into my brain....

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Let me know if you hear something similar to this link here

www.youtube.com...

If this is what you are hearing then u2u me as I have this.

I hear this constantly and it will drive you insane unless you control it.

Still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end when it gets louder.

No need to worry ill try and explain as best as I can.

Just make sure that you listen to this as its the closest thing I have found to it yet and if its not it then so be it lol.

This starts off with what you are describing or can which is my reason for asking on topic.

Cheers

[edit on 15-1-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I hear a similar sound as the one in the link and I thought it was cuz I'm pregnant and the baby was bumping some nerve in my back. But if other people are hearing it too then maybe there's something wrong. How do I get rid of it? And is it harmful?
It's giving me a headache and I hear it all throughout my apartment even with ear plugs. Only in one ear though.

new topics

top topics

join