It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US tortured Guantanamo Bay detainee, says Pentagon official

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

US tortured Guantanamo Bay detainee, says Pentagon official

www.news.com.au

THE Pentagon official overseeing the tribunals for Guantanamo Bay detainees has concluded that the US military tortured a Saudi national who allegedly planned to participate in the September 11, 2001 attacks, The Washington Post reported today.

"We tortured (Mohammed al-) Qahtani," Susan Crawford said in an interview with the newspaper.

"His treatment met the legal definition of torture. And that's why I did not refer the case" for prosecution.

Ms Crawford, a retired judge who also worked in the Reagan Administration, is the first senior
Bush Administration official responsible for reviewing practices at Guantanamo to publicly state that a detainee was tortured.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Not that there was ever much doubt about this - but this is confirmation from a senior official.

The American government has reached a new low.......torturing people, and such acts denied by both the president and vice president.

This may well just be confirmation of what everyone suspected. This, in my eyes, makes the US no different to those they say they are trying to stop.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Doesn't seem to matter how civilized we as humans try to get, underneath it all, we're all still the same savages.
The US is only just learning how quickly a country becomes the "bad guys" when faced with danger.

That's really the true test of a civilization, can it endure hard times and still stick to the moral principles it was founded on. Most have failed this test. Very few have passed. The US is just the latest to fail it.

And there will be plenty more nations in the future to fail it as well.

As for the article, this first will likely open the floodgates. We'll see plenty more torture evidence come forth now... there always is.

Oh well... so who's next to try to wield the moral torch?

[edit on 14-1-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
OH MY GOD

I am somehow not surprised by this...

I wonder why?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Lol Yeah, this isn't exactly a revolutionary finding, or earth-shattering, here.

I guess at this point it's funny seeing THE PENTAGON admitting to it, in a way that makes it sound like they think the world didn't already know what was going on there.
--Maybe everyone knew, except them?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It seems that G.W. and friends had many in the US government scared to speak out against him.

Once GW is out of office the flood gates of info on this and other subjects may open.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by deepred

I sure as in the hell doubt that.

Obama is nothing more than another puppet on strings to the real overlords. He doesn't listen, he ends up like our favorite JFK. Oswold did it. Incase you didn't know.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by the titor experience

Do you think that Australia might be complicit in the same tactics of torture?

Torture fear for POWs captured by Australians

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Do you think that Australia might be complicit in the same tactics of torture?

Why don't you start your own thread about Aussie torture and stop deflecting this thread about the admitted American torture, jsobecky?

Where will the flag-waving stars'n'stripes Bush loyalists run to now that the torture has been confirmed?

top topics

join