It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible, Man's book or God's Word?

page: 56
<< 53  54  55   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by zachi

Those who experienced physical death were not punished spiritually.

How does that forgive the deed? How does that make the act of killing a child any less evil? I've said this before and I'll say it again if a child murderer used this defense in court I think it would rightfully get him a longer sentence.

Being a first born does not imply youth. Many senior citizens are first born.

I'm aware that not all the first born were children. Some of them were. The punishment was meant as revenge for what Pharaoh did the Hebrew first born, a genocide that Moses managed to escape, as I'm sure you are aware, by being sent down the Nile in a basket. God's deed strikes me as an act of cold vengeance. The fact that the Hebrews had indeed be wronged does not, however, give anyone, God or not, the right to kill the innocent. If it was wrong when Pharaoh did it than it should be equally wrong when a God does it and is made only worse when the followers of said God say he is righteous and Holy despite his evil deed in the story.

Have you seen the movie The Dark Knight? The newest batman. If you have good. There's a part in the movie where a previously good man, Harvey Dent, becomes a villain. His family (namely his bride to be) is killed. He feels everything has been taken from him. At the end of the movie, rather than punish the men he deems responsible (Commissioner Gordon) for the death of his lover he decides to kill Gordon's son. He is punishing the child for the sins of the Father. Even if Gordon is responsible for the death of Dent's girlfriend Dent does not become justified in committing murder especially when it is the murder of Gordon's innocent son. God's actions aren't different in the Exodus story. He is punishing the children for the sins of the parents. Yet we're supposed to believe God is the hero of the story.

Neither were Jobs children young. Each had his own house, implying they were all adults.

Fair enough but they were still Job's CHILDREN. He loved them enough to offer God sacrifices on their behalf just in case they had turned away. Put yourself in Job's shoes for only a moment and you will understand why God's actions are disgustingly unjust. He allows Satan, for no reason, to kill Job's kids.

You can doubt the Book all you want, but modern newspapers can't keep up with the pace of prophecy fulfillment contained within it's pages.

Most Biblical prophecy is exceedingly vague and makes heavy use of infinitely re-interpretable imagery, just as most prophecy in general does. This leaves it open to interpretation. I noticed this back when I was a Christian, every headline that talked about disaster was lined up beside scriptures and prophecies and stretched to make it fit. When a new disaster or hardship came along believers would stretch many of the SAME prophecies to fit DIFFERENT headlines. This is what allows people like Pat Robertson to claim the world is going to end in the early 80s and claim the Bible supports him. Prophecies about dragons with ten heads, vaguely described nations and kings, a giant Beast rising in the ocean, etc, all unimpressive. In the end Bible prophecy is no more valid than Nostradamus or the morning horoscope.

Now of course there's Messianic prophecy but even the Jews don't think that Jesus fulfilled those, I tend to agree with them in that regard.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Are you saying that the bible was written by men who knew it was a lie ?

They wrote all that stuff as a form over "power and control" and tricked their fellow brothers and sisters ?!

If the bible is false and was written as a way to trick and control then it could only have been written by one type of person - an ATHEIST !!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by imjustlikeyou

No-one knows the reasons why the bible was created, possibly it was a help more than a hinderance at the time. But in today's modern democratic societies - much of the ideology is morally reprehensible.

The bible, whether intentional or unintentional, is an attempt to polarize morality -

A big all good, all knowing, supreme owner of the universe - do everything he says and you will be a "good" person. Do anything against this "being" then you are a sinner, the spawn of the devil, a bad person.

Heaven and Hell are untrue metaphysical claims, they are conjurings of what man doesn't know. To teach these things to a child is incredibly deceptive and evil. I won't stand for it, whether it comes with the tag or religion or not. I despise fortune tellers and "psycics" just as much.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by imjustlikeyou

Are you any older than twelve? You have made no valid points in this discussion. You have simply left the impression that you have been totally indoctrinated in a bible cult. Can you please re-read this whole thread?
Seriously, the bible is just a book that has been created to control people!

The Old Testament and New Testament are just books that have been created and used to control people and, more importantly, get money from people. The people who have done this are treated as 'holy' and 'venerable' humans but, in truth, are just conning people on a massive scale.

The phrase 'blind faith' always makes me smile.......the greatest con in the history of mankind - if you have this blind faith then it makes you even stronger in God's mind............

new topics

top topics

<< 53  54  55   >>

join