It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible, Man's book or God's Word?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

My philosophy is that if an action wouldn't be justifiable if perpetrated by a human, it shouldn't be justifiable when perpetrated by a god. Old Yahweh shouldn't get a free pass in the morality department.

PP Thats a beatiful philosophy -very well said

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Most successful form of mind control ever implemented on the sheeple.

Victims still deny it because accepting that they've been fooled all these years would make him look even more of an idiot.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

I don't understand that. Are saying that God loves games so he made this huge complicated convoluted world, then had man write out a bunch of cryptograms and the ones that fine the answers in time wins and the rest will de destroyed? Is this Celestial Survivor? I wonder what the ratings are.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The reasoning for "smiting" anyone, from what I can tell, was initially based on something to do with genetics (i don't mean racial genetics between homo sapians). The issue appears to have been one regarding tampering with human DNA, that was so deadly to our species that were about to be snuffed out permanently. At one point, prior to the flood that wiped sumer and much of the civilization built along the nile, there were very few humans left anywhere. The planet was said to be heavily polluted, environmentally and genetically. This crime against humanity carried over to the post flood era with the first born tradition. An example of this is the hybrid god-man known as Gilgamesh, of the Epic of Gilgamesh, who insisted on impregnating the females in his kingdom on the eves of their weddings to other men, so that the couple's first born child was a hybrid as well.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by undo]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes

My philosophy is that if an action wouldn't be justifiable if perpetrated by a human, it shouldn't be justifiable when perpetrated by a god. Old Yahweh shouldn't get a free pass in the morality department.

My argument is usually along the lines of "What kind of God goes around violating his own commandments?", Old Testament God is killing people left and right and yet many Christians don't give it a second thought... The idea of Cognitive Dissonance springs to mind, how can these people actually believe this? How did I ever, even in my childhood, attempt to believe it?

Also, what kind of a narrow God would pick one group of people, one religion, one book and just be like "screw everyone else, if they don't believe it they can go to Hell." ?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

read my post above.
the answer is not as black and white as it appears in the texts.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Nice one karl 12, I was surprised by how high the body count was, I'd like to see the total once you add the deaths prophesied in Revelation, isn't it like one third of humanity that's supposed to be killed during our loving God's return?

I've actually heard people argue that mankind's morality and rules don't apply to God, I guess those people forgot that "Thou Shalt Not Kill" was God's rule, not man's (according to the Bible)

That T-Shirt was pretty great too, surprised they managed to fit all that on it

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

one argument on that subject is that the third is a reference to that portion of man's DNA that is faulty either due to interference or pollution. also, your dna has been spliced with a shut off code, a self destruct sequence, that when activated in its timed implementation, begins a cascade event in which each of your body systems begin to decay faster and faster.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

hehe are you quoting capitalist casualty lyrics or is it a coincidence? either way i gave you a star for it

The bible was written by some very clever people who convinced themselves they knew what was best for their tribe, they most likely did most the time but then they got carried away and the power turned to ego which soon become the massive catholic church controlling everyones every action.

if god was all knowing then why did he first give noah 7 commandments then later give mosses 10 diffrent laws before adding over 600 which he later sent his son to kill himself on earth to change again but he never really mentioned clearly which laws to take away and which to leave, can we now draw pictures of heaven and angels? is it a sin for man to lie to man? must we still stone our family for suggesting we worship a god other than that of the mountain?

if the bible was sensible it would have a single cohesive moral direction and stick to it from creation to now, changeing your mind or being wrong isn't very godly.

Also angels don't make any sence, none at all - they change nature dramatically throughout the book, the end times make no sense what so ever, most of the morals are nonsense, judas dies twice (once falling over once by hanging himself) oh and it's racist hate speech of the highest order its anti woman, antigay anti freedom of speach anti freedom of religion anti science and anti just about everything else we in the modern world hold dear.

why, oh why do people still follow it like it's..er....gospel.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

[sarcasm]
What gives you the right to talk bad about God?
Sure he committed worse acts than Hitler, but he's God - he gets a free pass (or two!).
We're not supposed to think about such things logicaly, because God should not be questioned because... well... because he's God![/sarcasm]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
You can make that question to God itself on judgement day and will see what happen?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
[edit on 14-1-2009 by CoffeeGeek]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Religion = man = failure

Christian = spirit filled = love

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The God described by any of the main religions, exists only insofar that the
people following these religions, created him. In the 'holy' scriptures, it is
quite obvious that the God it describes, was created in man's image, rather
than the other way around.

The God of Jews, Muslims and Christians has brought a terrible cancer onto
this world. The religious dictators that wrote the scriptures, have caused a
worldwide condition that caused people to think of God as a separate being.
This feeling of being separate from God, is the cause of almost all problems
that humanity faces today.

God exists of course, but He is not separate from us, we are one with Him,
and just as Him, we are divine ourselves. This divinity and this oneness has
been stolen from the human race on purpose, and turned us into slaves of
addiction. When we regain our oneness and divine nature through realization
of truth, helped by both true spiritual knowledge and quantum science, all
these horrible religions will completely dissolve, they will disappear forever.

Christianity, Islam, Judaism are the main causes of diseased humanity, they
will completely disappear into the chapter of dark human history, this will
mark the age of a new dawn, of love, compassion and the creative power
people will discover in themselves to finally take control again over their
own destiny.. rather than the slavery of the present and the past.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hello? Do you read anything besides anti christian material?
Try reading the ancient texts for a change. If man created
Enki and Enlil, I'm awaiting your proof. Proceed when ready.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grandma
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Religion = man = failure

Christian = spirit filled = love

Peace,
Grandma

What role does the Bible play in your life? I realize that you see a dividing line between religion and Christianity (ostensibly, correct me if I've misinterpreted), but would you care to comment on the topic of discussion--the veracity of the Bible?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
why, oh why do people still follow it like it's..er....gospel.

Because people are addicted to the lack of individual responsibility
offered by religion. When they have to give up their religion, they
have to come to the realization that they are responsible for their
life, and no one else. That frightens people, the idea that they are
responsible for their lives, frightens people terribly, so they prefer
to stick with the drug called religion.

Religion is as synthetic as heroine, coc aine, alcohol or nicotine,
entirely created by man, religion has got nothing to do with God,
even though it claims the opposite. The contradicting nonsense
you find in the bible, the old testament and the koran, is evidence
of this, because do you really think a divine entity would contradict
itself on every page, writing down drivel that no one understands?

Believing in God is important, but believing in your own divinity,
and connection with everything around you, believing in having the
power to be master over your own life, is far more important.

Truly having God in your heart is almost impossible when locked
in religious belief. Even as a child I felt that it was imperative that
I do everything in my power to prevent being poisoned by religion,
especially christianity can have a devastatingly destructive effect
on the mind.

Just look at the bible belt in the United States, these people are
become complete lunatics! Islam is causing similar insanities in the
Middle East, and Judaism is currently causing people to support the
horrible murders of thousands of people in Gaza.

[edit on (14/1/09) by Wehali]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The bible has many versions, all of them differ from the original bible. If the Bible wasn't modified there should only be one bible. I am a Christian but with common sense applied to alot of things. There is a god whether you like it or not, god may have not created humans but surely the first atom in the universe had a starting point. Its amazing that you people can believe in government cover ups, aliens, and bigfoot but not a book that has predicted quite a few events.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
The reasoning for "smiting" anyone, from what I can tell, was initially based on something to do with genetics (i don't mean racial genetics between homo sapians). The issue appears to have been one regarding tampering with human DNA, that was so deadly to our species that were about to be snuffed out permanently. At one point, prior to the flood that wiped sumer and much of the civilization built along the nile, there were very few humans left anywhere. The planet was said to be heavily polluted, environmentally and genetically. This crime against humanity carried over to the post flood era with the first born tradition. An example of this is the hybrid god-man known as Gilgamesh, of the Epic of Gilgamesh, who insisted on impregnating the females in his kingdom on the eves of their weddings to other men, so that the couple's first born child was a hybrid as well.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by undo]

How would the Earth grow polluted before the invention of modern machinery? Who said the Earth was polluted environmentally or genetically? Are you tying it in to the idea of Nephilim or alien-human hybrids? Please explain and/or elaborate so I can get an idea of where you're coming from and where it ties into what my original post is about...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Titen-Sxull:

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been CLEARLY SEEN, being understood from what has been made, so that men are WITHOUT excuse." (Romans 1:20)

I am a Chrisitan, follower of Christ. That being said it is my opinion that the OT was not the work of God. The Gnostics had another version of who Yawah may have been and I kind of agree with it. God had given the earth to either an angel or another one of power under him to be caregiver and co-creator of the earth. The enity got a little power hunger and decided to try to create a man in their image and things didn't work out so well. I believe it was this power who did all the killing in the OT and divided the land amoung the Hebrews. the Father does not kill, but as the scripture says God has through nature been clearly seen men did not get it.

At that time in history the sacrifices would have made sense to the Hebrews. All other religions were doing sacrifices. They understood the life was the blood and this was a object lesson about atonement for their sins. Which of course Christ took care of once and for all for all mankind.

It the bible flawed? Yes, I think it is. That being said though it has get history that can't be found anywhere else. And there is a lot ot truth in that old book if you have eyes that are spiritually open to see it.

I do believe that the Lord does use the scriptures to help guide us and teach us his ways. One must have a humbled heart, mind, body, and soul to see the wisdom and enlightenment that comes from both books of the bible. Christ showed us God when he was here on earth with us for a short time. The person he showed us was one who was loving, full of mercy, faithfull, and forgiving. Not angry, jealous, or a murderer.

The main truth of the bible still rings true today as it has for over 2,000 years. That is the love of Christ to love our brothers and sisters as he did and to love God with all our heart, mind, body, and soul.

A Christian is always working to become more Christlike everyday and crucify our worldly desires to seek heavenly ones. I got that from my bible and from the help of the Holy Spirit who helps keep my spirit one with the Lord's

It is truly a love so amazing that one just cannot explain it. It goes beyond the love that a man and a woman have for each other. It is a deeper love that lights up your soul and puts a song in your heart that only you can hear.

Peace in his name,
Grandma

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join