It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible, Man's book or God's Word?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
This thread is primarily directed at Christians, specifically the ones who believe the Bible is the actual “Word of God” but I welcome the opinions of anyone else who cares to join in…

I’ve been involved in many religious debates, some more heated than others, but no Christian has yet successfully defended from the following:

If God is good, righteous, and holy than why does he smite the first-born Egyptians. Many Christians believe that children were among those Egyptian’s killed. What justification can there be for this? There is no justification, in my mind, for God to kill innocent Egyptian civilians as opposed to, say, Pharaoh himself. It was Pharaoh’s hard heart, if I’m not mistaken, that kept the Hebrews enslaved. A good God would not slaughter children.

There are some who believe the Great Flood actually took place the way the Bible says, surely some innocent children must have drown unless all the sinners were sterile.

In Job, once again, God is killing children (or allowing them to be killed), seemingly just to settle a bet with Satan…In fact Job 42:11 says,
"11Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been of his acquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one an earring of gold."
If the Bible is the word of God than God is not as All-Loving as we’ve been led to believe. Here the Bible itself is saying God is capable of EVIL and these terrible things are brought upon Job, a righteous man.

Many times the Israelites would lay siege to a city, kill ALL the men and take the women and children as slaves.

Certainly you can not, with a clear conscious, and a mind free of Cognitive Dissonance, believe in a God who kills, or condones the killing of, innocent people and yet is equated with Love and Righteousness and Mercy.

The Bible contradicts itself a hundred different ways, God is merciful one minute, and condemning human beings to eternal torment the next. Clearly, then, the Bible is not the work of God but of MAN, a true loving God would not do these things.

I welcome any and all opinions

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
I welcome any and all opinions.

If one were to contemplate the vastness and downright incomprehensibility of a superpowerful, infinite and omniscient being, responsible for creating the entire physical universe with its vast waves of multi-dimensional time and space...

... doesn't it seem a little silly that anything even close to that could be contained in one tiny little book?

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Of course the Bible is the work of man. There's no other way that it could be in existence. The book didn't just fall out of the sky. When people tell me that the Bible is the word of God, I really do have to ask every one of them how they can say that.

The Bible is a collection of stories written by MEN. It's contradictory and makes no sense in too many cases to count.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
if the bible is the word of god who gave man the right to censor the bible when it was rewritten.

what right does man then have not to show us the original words?

if god was so powerful to do what the bible says why does he not write a follow up to his book so we know how he feels, he has done it before according to the bible.

i think the people who say that you cannot question an all powerful being like god, are just using that as an excuse to hide the fact that they are getting good money to say these things.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

The Bible is the work of men as is the Torah and the Qu'ran. All three religions are rubbish! More people have been killed in the name of someone else's dog... I mean 'god' due to blind faith, hatred, fear, elitism, xenophobia and fanaticism than anything else. All three books are equally as poisonous!

History has passed it's own unbiased judgment!

Religion = Failure!

IRM

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Mans Book also called "The doctrines of men"

Gods word spirit and truth. Spirit because it comes out of Mans mouth and truth because it is accomplished.

Any words spoken, yet not fulfilled is not true and not of God, but if the word is spoken and performed it is spoken by God.

Peace

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
Of course the Bible is the work of man. There's no other way that it could be in existence. The book didn't just fall out of the sky. When people tell me that the Bible is the word of God, I really do have to ask every one of them how they can say that.

The Bible is a collection of stories written by MEN. It's contradictory and makes no sense in too many cases to count.

No contradiction and makes perfect sense, but only in the languages penned in. This is called "sealing" the book. Without the original language, it might as well be snoopy talking.

But no doubt written by Men. I can tell you it is written by God. Who do you think God is, is the question? Perhaps what you see as contradictions, were never contradictions at all, but are concealed in plain view by language, as a treasure for those searching the map, which X marks the spot on.

Remember the Goonies? "Sloth love chunk"

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Thanks for sharing. I would have branched out to the other books as well but I was trying to stay neatly on topic.

originally posted by lethereaderunderstandBut no doubt written by Men. I can tell you it is written by God.

Excuse me? Your words, in and of themselves need a bit more explaining. This reads just ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand

No contradiction and makes perfect sense, but only in the languages penned in. This is called "sealing" the book. Without the original language, it might as well be snoopy talking.

But no doubt written by Men. I can tell you it is written by God. Who do you think God is, is the question? Perhaps what you see as contradictions, were never contradictions at all, but are concealed in plain view by language, as a treasure for those searching the map, which X marks the spot on.

No book called The Bible exists in the original languages does it? As far as I know the books were written on individual scrolls in their original form and aren't really a book, it was the Romans and Catholics that formed the book, tossing some scrolls out while adding in who knows what...

So the Bible is a treasure map, and these glaring contradictions I've found are some sort of treasure? While I'll admit some wisdom can be found in its pages...

Why do you say there is no doubt it was written by men, then in the next sentence claim its written by God?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

This thread is primarily directed at Christians, specifically the ones who believe the Bible is the actual “Word of God” but I welcome the opinions of anyone else who cares to join in…

I’ve been involved in many religious debates, some more heated than others, but no Christian has yet successfully defended from the following:

If God is good, righteous, and holy than why does he smite the first-born Egyptians. Many Christians believe that children were among those Egyptian’s killed. What justification can there be for this? There is no justification, in my mind, for God to kill innocent Egyptian civilians as opposed to, say, Pharaoh himself. It was Pharaoh’s hard heart, if I’m not mistaken, that kept the Hebrews enslaved. A good God would not slaughter children.

There are some who believe the Great Flood actually took place the way the Bible says, surely some innocent children must have drown unless all the sinners were sterile.

In Job, once again, God is killing children (or allowing them to be killed), seemingly just to settle a bet with Satan…In fact Job 42:11 says,
"11Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been of his acquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one an earring of gold."
If the Bible is the word of God than God is not as All-Loving as we’ve been led to believe. Here the Bible itself is saying God is capable of EVIL and these terrible things are brought upon Job, a righteous man.

Many times the Israelites would lay siege to a city, kill ALL the men and take the women and children as slaves.

Certainly you can not, with a clear conscious, and a mind free of Cognitive Dissonance, believe in a God who kills, or condones the killing of, innocent people and yet is equated with Love and Righteousness and Mercy.

The Bible contradicts itself a hundred different ways, God is merciful one minute, and condemning human beings to eternal torment the next. Clearly, then, the Bible is not the work of God but of MAN, a true loving God would not do these things.

I welcome any and all opinions

God creates Evil and Forms light. Do you not do this? Righteous means even, same as true. God is good because he goes past even or we would all not be.

The true and Living God is OF the living...Just like the constitution is OF the people, not for the people. God is OF the living and is why God "Saw that it was Good". He had to judge between right and wrong, meaning he had to perform right and wrong to determine the best course for life, which the living God is constituted OF.

If you don't care about religion, neither does God. I'm pretty sure, I hate it.

People don't even know God means "Good luck", another thing I hate. We have names and that title is one I hate, made by men who would place themselves at our head, but will end up being under our feet.

The earth is our footstool, and we reign from heaven, the place your head inhabits on a daily basis. Have fear of no man, for we are not A man. We are the LIVING, and we judge perfectly. Time takes care of the rest.

Peace

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Agreed Nohup,

If there is a God He's too big a concept for one book (or one religion) to grasp, reminds me of a story about Buddha I heard in Philosophy class.

Priests from all sorts of religions come running to Buddha making claims about the nature of God. Buddha blindfolds them and sends them into a room with an elephant, they are supposed to study what is in the room, but are not told its an elephant.

One of the Priests comes out and says "it has rough skin". Another says "it has large horns or tusks" so and on and so forth... the lesson is that we all only have a piece of the picture and that if we spent more time united and less time arguing we might actually discover the true nature of God and the Universe...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   

No book called The Bible exists in the original languages does it? As far as I know the books were written on individual scrolls in their original form and aren't really a book, it was the Romans and Catholics that formed the book, tossing some scrolls out while adding in who knows what...

So the Bible is a treasure map, and these glaring contradictions I've found are some sort of treasure? While I'll admit some wisdom can be found in its pages...

Why do you say there is no doubt it was written by men, then in the next sentence claim its written by God?

This is why you see contradiction. I meant exactly what I said. I am here now, you are here now. We Are as I AM. Do you see? Dog's love IAM's, they are chasing there own tales, they call books. You need not a book nor to chase your tale. History is not your story. Your story is living, his is dead. DO YOU SEE?

I am going to the store, He went to the store, We are at the store. What are we buying? Separation is necessary to imagine life, but life is not Separated because it is alive not an image. There is alive only. Do you see?

What is wisdom is not knowledge. Wisdom is the wielding of Knowledge, yet children have more wisdom then any adult could dream of having. Do you see?

No riddles, no myths, no joke. "Besides me there is no savior, I know not one". "I, even I, am the Lord"....say it with me. Do you see?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

or that it can be understud by our tiny minds..!!!

The bible was wrote by man to keep other men in there place using paramaters..

called the ten commandments "or atleast" some basic game rules

Why? fkn knows lol its just how it is... thats why we all still question "it" ie being alive..

But sad is the case im sorry to say GOD with a capital G did not make or write the bible men did..

tho me being crazy n all you could say god made men think of it...

i always get that lol but thats a fun aspect becouse there for if god did infact make the bible "or got men to pen down some rules" then why do i need to worry im off to the pearly gates.. ; )

man wrote the bible imo//

but i still belive in god... god to me is just being alive and thankfull for being able to post on here.. nothing more nothing less..

have a good day! and I hope my post helped you on your quest

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

reply to post by Nohup

Agreed Nohup,

If there is a God He's too big a concept for one book (or one religion) to grasp, reminds me of a story about Buddha I heard in Philosophy class.

Priests from all sorts of religions come running to Buddha making claims about the nature of God. Buddha blindfolds them and sends them into a room with an elephant, they are supposed to study what is in the room, but are not told its an elephant.

One of the Priests comes out and says "it has rough skin". Another says "it has large horns or tusks" so and on and so forth... the lesson is that we all only have a piece of the picture and that if we spent more time united and less time arguing we might actually discover the true nature of God and the Universe...

You SEE!!!

No one knows our name, but they know we take rest, this is why we command everyone to be circumsized of the flesh on the 8th day, so that the left doesn't know what the right is doing and we can forget our shame.

Who's shame did Adam meaning (mankind) uncover? They had no shame, but they uncovered our shame. The murder of our own. They followed invisible gods that do not exist and have been given life in an image that can not hear nor save and are coaxing our sexual form to bear seed of "men of the name" Giants, Nephilim.

The stories are all running simultaneously, not one after another, one in side of another, like Japanese doll in doll. Finer details of the same story inside of every story. Adam to Eve is complete. That story is the full story of all time, more detail Cain and Able which is Spear and Arrogant, next generation, more detail, same story.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Hey i know its hard to read some posts but i realy liked the "you are alive thing"...

Some people seek the truth via differnet means but all come to the same point in time.. being dead! lol

I kinda look at life very pragmatic.. I am alive.. so now what? who cares who made me??? who cares what comes after me.. thats not my point in being here is it?? to worry and question WHY? i though the point of being here IS being here or did i miss something??

I try to say this understanding math and why we see loops in life and pattens..

And the simple answer is just what you said "its becouse we are alive"

Some dont understand how simple it is but how very mindbending it can become

Im glad man undertands and writes txt books "math" for one is my bible ; )

and i even question math so the bible has no chance

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
reply to post by Nohup

or that it can be understud by our tiny minds..!!!

The bible was wrote by man to keep other men in there place using paramaters..

called the ten commandments "or atleast" some basic game rules

Why? fkn knows lol its just how it is... thats why we all still question "it" ie being alive..

But sad is the case im sorry to say GOD with a capital G did not make or write the bible men did..

tho me being crazy n all you could say god made men think of it...

i always get that lol but thats a fun aspect becouse there for if god did infact make the bible "or got men to pen down some rules" then why do i need to worry im off to the pearly gates.. ; )

man wrote the bible imo//

but i still belive in god... god to me is just being alive and thankfull for being able to post on here.. nothing more nothing less..

have a good day! and I hope my post helped you on your quest

You see!!

Why are so many seeing? Because a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years are as a day. Today, is the third day, and we are ascending to the father (farther). We are remembering our title and being called by name..."self existent salvation".

I am so happy to see all of you re-membering!!!

For that I give you praise.!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Hey i know its hard to read some posts but i realy liked the "you are alive thing"...

Some people seek the truth via differnet means but all come to the same point in time.. being dead! lol

I kinda look at life very pragmatic.. I am alive.. so now what? who cares who made me??? who cares what comes after me.. thats not my point in being here is it?? to worry and question WHY? i though the point of being here IS being here or did i miss something??

I try to say this understanding math and why we see loops in life and pattens..

And the simple answer is just what you said "its becouse we are alive"

Some dont understand how simple it is but how very mindbending it can become

Im glad man undertands and writes txt books "math" for one is my bible ; )

and i even question math so the bible has no chance

I told you before theresult, your signature always had the answer.

Good to see you friend...much love to you.

Do you see how the dead are raised to life? It was never a new one, but a resurrection of the current. We are Alive....blessings to you and yours.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
haha :p ur so funny
btw ur avatar rocks

But on topic i would say that i got to this point using mathmatics.. i know that sounds realy odd to many but for me having my feet on the ground ment alot to me and still does.

The bible is a good book dont geet me wrong flawed yes ! but it atleasts tells men to work as a team, well thats what it told me..

Now with that in hand we still have the question of god and who or what is he??

well tbh you can ask untill a cow flys over and snips on you! becouse thats one thing we wont ever find out..

Now we come to the harsh reality of being "alive".. what is this??? im alive!!!

now we can see ALLL things in the universe and its crazy madness!

If god did infact give us a gift, i shall tell you what it is

BEING ALIVE.. to witness it

Very pragmatic i know but, understanding is not the same thing as questioning something...

Its like reading a book.. do you question what you read or do you want to get to the end of the book??

Humans are very stupid
we question things we dont even understand and that leads into infinity...

Lets question things we do unerstand! that way we can understand them better.. like this thread.

I can prove math is your so called third eye becouse being alive shows it "in nature"

pattens / symmerty / any loop is the result of you being here to see it..
Its life in all its glory..

For me the important part of life is being alive.. not asking things i dont understand or will never get the answer too..

Do we as humans have a goal? Nope we dont.. why? we keep asking the wrong question..

untill we stop asking pointless things we will never understand wtf it means infact to BE alive...and not dead becouse thats the end of my "loop"

Everything is possible becouse im alive, when im not alive.. well who cares lol my loop just ended and so did the universe and everything inside outside above and below.. "infiintiy".. we are in affect infinitys YANG and it is our YING

sorry the post was so long its hard trying to put it down "im crap at english" ; p

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
It's written by humans FOR humans. It's a collection of stories explaining the unexplainable (of the time) and collated into a single work. Others can argue as to the end purpose. Personally I see it as originally intended as a primitive historical record though horribly inaccurate
And since has become an instrument for propagating hate, segregation and deception to millions

As an atheist, I don't believe in a 'God' -- such as generally depicted wearing a toga and throwing lightning bolts or any such nonsense. For me, it's all about energy and life and how the two are the same - constant and neverending, etc.

And if someone believes that 'God' is this, river of energy that forever flows through the universe then to me, what letthereaderunderstand wrote makes sense :

So, in that respect, sure, if the eternal energy is God (my words), and the we're all part of that eternal energy/life force, then sure -- I can accept that 'God' wrote it. Though this is now down to semantics, of course

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
lol you said it better than me, i more or less joke about that

its all relitive.. im much like you my god is "being alive" ect.. none of the toga stuff.. lol

But still god is a concept right? something that made us we just have differnt takes on why ect..

He did or It did for some reason and that part i dont question..

I just know IT / Him did and im here to do just what he asked it asked.. be alive!!!

right or wrong im alive!! that is my constant we better all wake up and understand what it / him is asking...

Stay alive at all costs - stay in the loop

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join