It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothesis of what will happen on 2012: the earth will expand once again

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

And then I thought of the Mayan calendar. The Mayans were extremely accurate at predicting celestial events on a very, very large scale. In 380,000 years, their calendar will need to be adjusted by just one second. They also predicted events on earth, based on this calendar.

the Mayas only knew of stars visible to the naked eye. They didnt know of other galaxies, nor of the structure of our own galaxy.

I completely agree with this as well. The Mayans did not know that the universe was expanding. I think that even 380,000 years needs to be ajusted by more than one second. As well, it was done by the naked eye(again, agreed). There is way too much stuff going on out there to be reliable as "clockwork". Take the Uranus and Neptune switch for example(very plausable explanation for their orbits). Not clockwork.
edit on 15-3-2011 by oneshineylady because: fixing quotes

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I was thinking that maybe the earth expanded in "fits and starts" in relation to the earth's planetary alignments. Why? Well, if you think of the evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould, he won a nobel prize because he showed that evolution happens in "fits and starts" or "leaps and bounds" as opposed to a slow constant rate over millions of years.

This sentiment I agree with wholeheartedly.

The one part about the theory, that I agree with ... is that if one looks closely, it answers all the questions we have about history.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

The expanding earth theory was discarded by real geologists ages ago. It makes no sense. There is no way to add sufficient mass to expand the earth.

When considering that Hiroshima was destroyed when 6 grams of matter, a little more than the weight of a nickel, was converted to energy it really begins to seem silly that people think that the Sun transfers energy tot he Earth to expand it. It would take millions of Hiroshimas every day over every square kilometer to expand the Earth as claimed. Influx from space does not work either since a quick check of Moon videos shows the astronauts in a few centimeters of material accumulated over billions of years.

The expanding Earth claims do not match geology and they do not account for all of the added mass.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I wonder how the "Growing Earth"-Hypothesis fits with the idea of the "Hollow Earth. Any suggestions anyone?

2nd line ...
edit on 7-5-2012 by Nobot because: typo

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by squiz

It's fairly obvious the Maya were measuring the precession cycle, there's significant evidence to suggest that catastrophic events occurred around 13 thousand years ago, half of the cycle.

The ancient Maya did not understand precession. They certainly did not measure it. They were aware that after a century or so their astronomical tables were off, but they do not seem to have understood what was happening.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Thalassa Noel

Go ahead and keep your mind in its little box. It's a theory. It used to be fact that the world was flat. You don't catch anyone saying that anymore. Without those who know how to see what others do not we would still be on that flat earth.

This flat Earth claim is quite false. The idea of a flat Earth was a reasonable assumption. It was never a theory. By the time science was invented the Earth was known to be a ball. Still today surveyors laying out buildings assume that the earth is flat. It's a valid assumption in terms of the work and measurements being done.

I also found DreamDeceiver comments on paleomagnetic data to be a good counter to the theory, but that doesn’t mean that those facts are set in stone. We are constantly changing what we know to be fact as we learn more about the world we live in.

It's an excellent argument against the idea of the expanding Earth. That evidence does not go away just as the fact that the star positions no longer matched when people began to travel distances. The previous notion that the Earth was flat was seen to be wrong.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobot

I wonder how the "Growing Earth"-Hypothesis fits with the idea of the "Hollow Earth. Any suggestions anyone?

The hollow Earth is impossible for a number of reasons:
1. seismic evidence
2. mass of the Earth
3. structural stability of a hollow planet

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Well, a few people survived the last event 13000 years ago and a few people survived the one 26000 years ago. There was an advanced race that also survived, not quite human but not that different. I think they taught humans and may have harbored them during these events. I think the flood was actually about 13000 years ago. I don't think the earth is going to expand because of this though. I think there is going to be extreme seismic activity and volcanoes galore. Lots of quicksand, landslides, and sinkholes to come. I think the frequencies created will cause panic and pestilence. The Bacteria man has evolved is going to kill most humans and is not part of this. There is no way to know the exact date this will happen either. It's just a general time frame. There is a chance that during solstice or planetary alignments that things could get worse.

Maybe you're hypothesis will have some bearing on future events and maybe not. It's always fun to try to figure things out and it hurts noone as long as nobody panics or gets crazy over it. If something like what you say happens there isn't much we can do anyway so why worry about it. I'll settle for trying to get people to respect mother nature more and to start trying to help the earth and it's other creatures instead of hurting them.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Well, a few people survived the last event 13000 years ago and a few people survived the one 26000 years ago.

By that time there were people spread all over the globe. How do you explain that? You know what I mean right? How could a global cataclysm strike down people all over the world without leaving a trace?

I think the flood was actually about 13000 years ago.

There is no evidence of a global flood. What flood are you referring to?

There is a chance that during solstice or planetary alignments that things could get worse.

Planetary alignments have no effect on anything.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Great videos. As a person who has studied Geology on a University level, I can vouch for your expanding earth theory. While I am not a Geologist, and only took 1 course on the subject, Toronto experienced tremors around a year ago that nobody predicted. Once these tremors occur then scientists can start measuring the data but until then anything could happen if enough pressure builds up.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

I think you should have taken more than an intro course in geology. The expandin earth theory is a miserable failure. There is no way to increase mass. The continents do not reflect a single super continent in the past. Look up Rodinia if you skipped that lecture.
en.wikipedia.org...

The expanding Earth theory was an alternative to plate tectonics. It fails on paleomagnetic evidence. It fails on adding mass. It fails on the length of a day. It fails and fails and fails.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

As much as I admired your witty writing style in suggesting I missed a lecture I will admit that perhaps I should have clarified this one aspect. You cannot make something from nothing. An expanding earth is an illusion. I do not believe it is separate from plate tectonics but rather the result of plate tectonics shifting and thus reorganizing the surface of the planet in most extreme cases. Ultimately, I can vouch for the Earth changing the way it currently looks, that is a no brainer. It is bound to happen. As for "expanding" the illusion can still occur as new mountains pop up in some areas. Yet, this process takes time. Earthquakes however, can also literally reshape the Earth and that part of my previous response I stand by as in the example of Toronto, the tremors could only be measured after they occurred.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Those mid plate quakes are certainly interesting.
You must be on the edge of the Canadian shield?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

Those mid plate quakes are certainly interesting.
You must be on the edge of the Canadian shield?

Actually, just in Toronto. The tremors are rare but we had two unexpected ones in two years. With that said, I'm not on the ground floor of a building but basically 23 storeys up and I could still feel the tremors. Apparently the last one in 2011 originated from Quebec if I recall correctly. I might need to check and see if there is a vault line around there but it might have just been a random pressure buildup.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

A few could be a half million humans, and the event doesn't appear to be global, just near low lying areas all around the planet.

Not many people challenge the writings of a big flood, it is found in many ancient texts around the world. Why would someone discount this evidence? Now why would a sane individual say these were wrong without having evidence that positively showed that something multiple far separated cultures perceived to have happened. Scientists studying this have said there appears to be a high water event at many places in the world that happened at about the same time. They couldn't tell how long ago but could tell the creation time was similar.

Planet alignment has a lot to do with pull on the earth. Everyone who has studied astronomy knows that. It's not going to expand the earth or anything, it will have an effect on seismic activity though and tides. Move weight around on the earth from the moons tides and that will effect seismic activity greatly. Thunderstorms and flooding can even effect seismic activity. A passing large comet or asteroid could also cause lines of force to be created. Everything is related, the fact that we have not documented precise evidence YET doesn't mean anything. These may be small forces but the mass of a one inch pound force per square mile over a hunderd thousand square miles is a lot of force.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

A few could be a half million humans, and the event doesn't appear to be global, just near low lying areas all around the planet.

Ancient populations are estimated to have been stable for tens of thousands of years. Where do you get the idea that there was a drop?
en.wikipedia.org...

Not many people challenge the writings of a big flood, it is found in many ancient texts around the world. Why would someone discount this evidence? Now why would a sane individual say these were wrong without having evidence that positively showed that something multiple far separated cultures perceived to have happened. Scientists studying this have said there appears to be a high water event at many places in the world that happened at about the same time. They couldn't tell how long ago but could tell the creation time was similar.

Actually, almost every geologist discounts any possibility of a global flood. Only creationists who call themselves scientists claim a global flood existed. Ancients described local events IF and I say IF these myths are history. No scientists are showing high water marks that happened at the same time. That is false. There are wave cut terraces in many places, but these are NOT from the same time period.

So how do you suppose someone states they can't tell when, but they can state that they were done around the same time? Exactly, how are they going to use a relative time scale to do this?

Planet alignment has a lot to do with pull on the earth. Everyone who has studied astronomy knows that. It's not going to expand the earth or anything, it will have an effect on seismic activity though and tides. Move weight around on the earth from the moons tides and that will effect seismic activity greatly. Thunderstorms and flooding can even effect seismic activity. A passing large comet or asteroid could also cause lines of force to be created. Everything is related, the fact that we have not documented precise evidence YET doesn't mean anything.

Anyone who has studied astronomy and seismic activity knows that only the Moon is correlated with seismic activity. This is not cause-effect, but some rare/uncommon low intensity quakes are correlated with the Moon. The Sun is not correlated, nor is anything else int he solar system. Large quakes are definitely not correlated with another celestial body.

Thunderstorms have no affect on seismic activity. Flooding has no affect.

A large comet or asteroid is causing lines of force to be created. The gravitational effect is basically undetectable due to the small size of these objects.

These may be small forces but the mass of a one inch pound force per square mile over a hunderd thousand square miles is a lot of force.

You've garbled force, pressure, and units here.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

Anyone who has studied astronomy and seismic activity knows that only the Moon is correlated with seismic activity.

Regarding the hypothesis that other planets could be affecting seismic activity on Earth I dare say stereologist is correct unless those other celestial objects came into an orbit that was equivalent to that of our Moon or greater. With that said, planets coming into an orbit close to Earth is a large part of the whole "Nibiru" hypothesis propagated by people like Sitchin among others. However, if such a thing were to happen astronomers around the Earth monitoring the sky above would be able to detect the presence of a new celestial body getting closer to us and my guess is they would have done that a long time ago as in... 1980s or 1990s. Feel free to supply any evidence to the contrary. I'm interested in seeing it even if I believe the chances are slim.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The following USGS page discusses the Moon and quakes.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Many studies in the past have shown no significant correlations between the rate of earthquake occurrence and the semi-diurnal tides when using large earthquake catalogs.

Several recent studies, however, have found a correlation between earth tides (caused by the position of the moon relative to the earth) and some types of earthquakes.

When tests were done between quakes in general and the Moon nothing was detected. But when certain types of quakes and in certain instances were checked something was found. The big quakes were not correlated. That had already been checked.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The expanding earth theory was discarded by real geologists ages ago. It makes no sense. There is no way to add sufficient mass to expand the earth.

I think that's a bit misleading Stereo !

Obviously it does make some sense.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I think that's a bit misleading Stereo !

Actually it makes no sense.

Can you please explain why I should watch the video? You've given zero introduction to this video made by a comic book author. Isn't this the guy with the electron-positron tall tale. He wants to create more matter through a process which does not appear to happen. His claim is based on a misunderstanding of plate tectonics.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join