It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Secure is Your Job in 2009?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
I am sorry to hear about others being laid off.

I wanted to post that we finally heard from his employer, and he wont be laid off this time around. Thank God! We are blessed this time around. I just hope with Obama in office, our country will regain confidence in the economy and no one else will have to lose their jobs!

In hard times companies get rid of the dead wood first and keep the best people often even if not needed. Now is a good time for people who are concerned to make yourselves indispensable to the company.

Good luck and I hope you come through this in good condition. Remember the glass in 92% full as that is how many of the workers in the US are still employed at their jobs earning the same. That may drop to 88% I think, but a glass 88% full is still not spilled glass.

[edit on 1/21/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

In my opinion a job is never secure. I live life like i am a temp although i'm not, i try my best and never take my position forgranted. I refuse to worry over job security or anything else for that matter. What will be will be, i just use my own judgement to guide me through. I am not materialistic and although i take pleasure i the luxuries i have around me i try not to take them forgranted and try not t attach myself to anything material. This way if i have to part with the material i will not feel the hit so hard. As long as i have 'a' roof over my head and able to eat i will be fine. I may have to work a little harder to obtain this but as long as i can obtain it i will be fine.

What i will say is if you have the opportunity to grown your own veg ect. do so, do little things now so that if you need food later you have some. Make sure you have enough clothes/blankets to keep warm. Just little things that when you do feel the pinch you are not totally caught short.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

In hard times companies get rid of the dead wood first and keep the best people often even if not needed. Now is a good time for people who are concerned to make yourselves indispensable to the company.

**ouch!** I know, I know...I'm a grown up and should take it, but maybe you're not known for your tact, eh? That's not the most considerate thing you could have added in a thread about job losses, is it?

Cait

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Hi

I live in Cyprus in the Med. Ihave just been laid off as a mortgage advisor for people buying home shere.

Cyprus is crashing too,,,, banks have stopped lending, developers are going bust, and laying off staff.

The Brits that have come to retire here,,, have no money to manage as their incomes have dropped 30-40% because of the fall in the pound to the Euro.

Worse still they cant go back because they can afford too or are tied tohouse here they cannot sell.

As they stop spending it affects all restaurants etc,,, the Cypriots are struggling too.

For those Brits that came to work out here, and raise children,, they also have lost jobs,, and cant sell to go back .

And if the do go back..... is it any better?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Work in advertising. Our boss told us times are 'ok', they're foreseeing an average year like last year instead of growing. We're lucky to have some 'big' clients that are unlikely to stop spending money.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Now is a good time for people who are concerned to make yourselves indispensable to the company.

NOBODY is indispensable to a company, even in good economic times.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
My company just announced some site closures and layoffs of approximately 6000 people. I heard it on the news since it is my weekend. I am assuming that I am not one of the unlucky ones facing "redeployment".

I think that my job is "safe" through 2009. Beyond that though.... not so much.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Don't feel bad just prepared for the worst and go on with your lives.

My husband also work with one of the top three biggest defense contracting companies in the nation.

Before Obama he was safe secure and making a killing.

Now the future is unclear, if Obama targets the defense budget he may find himself in a precarious situation.

That means that at least we got a year (rather than 3) to sort things out fish for a civil service job (more secure) and be lucky enough that he will not have to take a pay cut.

Trust me having to even think that due to the mess our government has created in this nation and to us we have to settler for less standards of living is just unthinkable when my husband and me are already middle age.

What a way to be spending our golden years down the line.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by speed_demon

What Squadron are you with?

Many pluses and minus' with being in the Military, at least youll have a roof over your head even if you have a family.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by 38181]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I've just lost my job as speech writer for george bush,to be quite honest my heart was'nt really in it,most the time i just scribbled any old crap down.
Anyone out there know of any vacancies.....

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by speed_demon

Semper Fi Speeddemon - do your best to keep Johnny's in business when you get back.

I work for an airline - so I understand the lack of security some of you are feeling. My solution is to work on cutting my overhead, live cheap, become independent. Ross Perot once said "I'd mow alot of lawns to feed my family" - and that rings true with me. I may lose my job, but I won't be defeated and I will find a way to get by.......

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have see layoffs left and right, I have a friend in Madison, Wisconsin
that got his layoff notice in december and cant find work anywhere. NO JOBS around to be found.
Plus my daughter-in-law just got fired for asking for a raise! Where are the jobs if more layoffs are still coming? beats me!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Good luck and I hope you come through this in good condition. Remember the glass in 92% full as that is how many of the workers in the US are still employed at their jobs earning the same. That may drop to 88% I think, but a glass 88% full is still not spilled glass.

Man Blaine, I hate to disagree with what was an attempt at being positive, but I gotta do it. There are a lot of workers in this country who have seen their hours and wages cut over the past 6 months who don't appear on any government lists. Assuming the current 7.2% unemployed number is correct (and we all know it is a 'tweaked' number which excludes at least several percent of unemployed people due to various reasons), the glas is still well below 92% full.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join