It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drink coffee, see dead people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Drink coffee, see dead people

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

HEAVY coffee drinkers are more likely to have hallucinations or feel "the presence of dead people", according to new research.

A UK-based study quizzed 200 students on their caffeine intake and found those with the highest consumption were also more prone to report seeing, or hearing, things that were not there.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Awesome, I'm not drinking enough coffee. All I can think of when I see this is Fry in Futurama when he hits a heightened state of consciousness after drinking a hundred coffees.

Those who consumed a daily equivalent of seven cups of instant coffee or more - high caffeine users - were three times more likely to have extra-sensory experiences than low users, who had less than one cup daily.

The Durham University study took in all caffeine consumption including coffee but also tea, caffeinated energy drinks or chocolate bars and caffeine pills.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Hm.

So that explains some of my experiences? Coffee?

I know that too much coffee makes me feel like crap, but I did not know it would make me see ghosts.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Yeah. Well, I've now got to relay this information to all the creeps hanging around looking mighty dead.

How about Tennessee sipping whiskey?

Any report on that?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I see ghost hunters/most haunted/ghost adventures/paranormal state and a few mediums going out of business now!!!

"Damn recession, coffee is on sale and people are losing jobs, again!!!"

Got ot love the finding's, we are such a "Smart" species, we can now look into the nether-lands of the paranormal and other worldly...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I spend a considerable amount of my time in the local cafes, and let me tell you something...there's some truth to this.

I'm still amazed at how many "dead" people I see on a daily basis ordering their espresso beverages and then suddenly becoming reanimated after a few sips.

It's freaky.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

How about Tennessee sipping whiskey? Any report on that?

Apparently they get droopy on it.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

That's the first thing that came to my mind. I remember that episode too.

If the effects of the caffeine cause this type of hallucinations, the use of coc aine must be much worse.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Say what?? Coffee is my drink from 6PM - 1AM...365 days a year for maybe 30 years. I should own stock

So as far as this so called study goes, coffee don't do it for me. What a load of you know what.
What else are they swallowing....

BTW, This is perked pure coffee, not decaff or instant junk. The real deal is make it fresh.
This study is
....IMO

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
There was an episode of daily planet on the discovery channel where they briefly spoke of how some people that consume mass amounts of caffeine are more prone to hear voices that may not be there now this could either mean that coffee makes you see and hear things that are truly not there(hallucinations) or it actually makes people see and hear dead people.

then again maybe the voices and hallucinations are just your bodies way of saying "Lay off the caffeine or you gonna die"
I personally hate coffee
I'm a tea man Woo!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I think this study is a crock, just another way to say that people experiencing paranormal events are crazies or coffee nuts.

I know people who don't drink coffee that experience the same things. What a stupid study.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I cry foul. I drink enough coffee for 5 people some times and never see anything of the sort. It's nearly 10 PM. I think I'll go have another cup or two before bed.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

I reckon this has less to do with the coffee, and more to do with the state of mind you're in when you're tired enough to drink some as a pick me up.

Once when I was so tired, I shook a ketchup bottle and got some on my arm, but for a moment I thought the drop of ketchup had bounced off my kitchen table and hit me.

It's just the effects of exhaustion imo

Interesting tidbit for tea and coffee drinkers alike. Tea has more caffeine in it per pound than coffee does.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
As science progresses I find the argument that since we cannot see it, it is not there, to be holding less and less water. It is a very "full of ourselves" attitude and outlook.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Seeing things that don't exist?

How judgmental!

And, I agree, quite the crock...

It's one of those ridiculous 'normal' perspectives.

Anyone with an IOTA of cognizance recognizes that the 'normal's are rather clueless.

'There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'

There is a bard in my living room right now that finds that quite amusing.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The reason behind this is that caffeine, like other stimulants increases dopamine in the brain. People with scizophrenia (sp) have excess dopamine in their brains.

Caffeine is bad, it can cause heart problems, and apparently scizo symptoms.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well - I for one, am going to start drinking more coffee.
This sounds like fun.
I hope one of those voices informs me as to how that damn bailout plan went through -
and how all of our rights have been systematically taken away.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
People,

Take the time to look up the beneficial effects of coffee (tobacco and alcohol too, while you are at it.)

It might surprise you.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
People,

Take the time to look up the beneficial effects of coffee (tobacco and alcohol too, while you are at it.)

It might surprise you.

You are absolutely correct. Great antioxidant benefits - if it is drunk within 15 minutes of brewing. Also read a study as to how it benefits our ability to focus - if it we drink it only 2 times a day - 6 hours apart. I'll look for a link. : )
I love coffee -

[edit on 13-1-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Personally, I don't think people CAN see the benefits because they are so hidden behind the media that loves to say how everything is just so awful for you. I'm not going to stop drinking coffee and I doubt other coffee drinkers will either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join