It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: 61 ex-Guantanamo inmates return to terrorism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Pentagon: 61 ex-Guantanamo inmates return to terrorism

www.reuters.com

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said 18 former detainees are confirmed as "returning to the fight" and 43 are suspected of having done in a report issued late in December by the Defense Intelligence Agency.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Obama to order Guantanamo Bay prison closed

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
We have heard about Obama's plan to close Gitmo once he takes office. I am challenging the intelligence of this decision with the rate of recidivism among terrorists so high.

Also take into consideration that the real "bad eggs" have not been released, only ones with weak cases.

So - what should be done with the terrorists in Gitmo once it is closed knowing they will most likely become quickly reaquainted with terrorist ties?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Yes and you also fell for the bs, hook, line and sinker.

The whole point of such a bs report is to sway public opinion against Obama shutting Guantanimo down!

Now considering 99% the people held in Guantanimo were/are innocent, never charged with anything, never had any evidence against them! It would not suprise me one bit if anyone of them, when released, decided to take up arms in Iraq or Afghanistan. They simply wish to get some revenge on those who held them, tortured them (mentally and physically) and treated them as sub-human, the USA (USA troops are a valid target for such angry people).

But given 90% of those released will never wish to experience the same hell hole again, they would never actually take up arms against the USA, just on the off chance they get captured again and shipped back there!

Plus I am sure Obama will offer citizenship to many of those inmates when he shuts the place down, maybe cash incentives, maybe property, any number of possible compensation incentives to keep a wave of legal cases against the USA government (most of which will be succesful if ever tried outside the military kangaroo courts, resulting in bad press for the USA) from ever materialising.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
If somebody opposes you in arms upon the field of battle, you kill them. Taking prisoners that you will torture for years and then not know what to do with is silly and pointless.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saf85
Now considering 99% the people held in Guantanimo were/are innocent, never charged with anything, never had any evidence against them! It would not suprise me one bit if anyone of them, when released, decided to take up arms in Iraq or Afghanistan. They simply wish to get some revenge on those who held them, tortured them (mentally and physically) and treated them as sub-human, the USA (USA troops are a valid target for such angry people).

True, sadly. I know if I'd been kept in Guantanamo for 5 or 6 years, being innocent, by the time I'd got out I'd have an insane grudge against the US. What better place to be to do something about it, than with the enemy the US is trying to fight.

Don't think Obama will give them the right to settle in the US though. I mean, that would be letting people with a potentially giant grudge against the States into it. Though, they'd probably be monitored, make sure they wern't making any connections with radicals, peopel they shouldn't. On the other hand, you can imagine, if, in absolute work case scenario one of them settled in the US, then committed some kind of terror attack. They'd be able to give a whole new case for places like Guantanamo, saying "Ohh, see, we let him out and he killed XX amount of people. If only he'd have stayed in there..." Etc, etc, conveniently forgetting the fact they most likely made him into what he was after the years of torture.

My bet, is they'll try shipping them off to other countries like Australia, far enoug away that they won't be a threat to the US, but not their home countries because they're scared of them connecting with extremists.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I agree to a degree. Prisoners can be beneficial in a war effort as info can be gotten from them. But it makes no sense to turn them loose while the war is still on. And yes, the war is on, thats why they are taking up arms.

My idea - no more Gitmo - no more prisoners. Terrorists belong in the ground.

As for bringing them into the states and giving them citizenship - well dumber things have happened. Thats not as good of idea as a leaky ship headed east. Maybe the Brits will take them?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon

We have heard about Obama's plan to close Gitmo once he takes office. I am challenging the intelligence of this decision with the rate of recidivism among terrorists so high.

I am challenging the intelligence of whoever released these 61 terrorists

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
If I was a family man, a farmer..
And was kidnapped in the night, held hostage for years, waterboarded, starved, put in stress positions.... then released with a ' sorry, my bad. God bless America and go on your way '

I too would join up.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal

I am challenging the intelligence of whoever released these 61 terrorists

Exactly.

We're too stupid to know who to release and who to keep, so you've gotta keep all of 'em!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

If I were a farmer. And the other stuff. BUT if I was taken prisoner while fighting an enemy I would probably expect what I got at Gitmo.

These prisoners were not rounded up by the "secret police" they were fighting against the US. Agree with the war or not - those are the facts.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

...But it makes no sense to turn them loose while the war is still on. And yes, the war is on, thats why they are taking up arms.

If there really is a war on, WHY AREN'T OUR BORDERS CLOSED?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

...But it makes no sense to turn them loose while the war is still on. And yes, the war is on, thats why they are taking up arms.

If there really is a war on, WHY AREN'T OUR BORDERS CLOSED?

Wow, I am fighting with you in another thread, but here I agree 1000%.

I can not beleive that the feds are serious about the "War on Terror" when they turn a blind eye to the problems along our southern border.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Of course they will return to the religious fight. Why not? With all of the terrible things done to them we gave them just more reason to think that they are fighting on the right side.

I would have done it much differently. I would have treated them with respect as a fellow human being. Then I would have piped in music that was positive, like Christian music. I would have made a reward system for them too. Like if they would just listen to what the Christian faith is about and listen to the gospel, they would get a nice reward. I would have tried to show them that America was founded on real Christian principles, and not hatred.

I would have worked on trying to befriend them, then showing them why they are fighting on the wrong side in religious debates. Instead, we acted like dogs, ie Abu Ghraib, and showed them just how evil some in America can be.

Our leaders failed miserably because the restraint and captivity was based on trying to get info from them and torturing them. It is shameful, and I think they have a very good reason now to hate us even more.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
Of course they will return to the religious fight. Why not? With all of the terrible things done to them we gave them just more reason to think that they are fighting on the right side.

I would have done it much differently. I would have treated them with respect as a fellow human being. Then I would have piped in music that was positive, like Christian music. I would have made a reward system for them too. Like if they would just listen to what the Christian faith is about and listen to the gospel, they would get a nice reward. I would have tried to show them that America was founded on real Christian principles, and not hatred.

I would have worked on trying to befriend them, then showing them why they are fighting on the wrong side in religious debates. Instead, we acted like dogs, ie Abu Ghraib, and showed them just how evil some in America can be.

Ah yes, turn those evil soldiers of Allah into Jesus Warriors.

They'd be perfect abortion clinic bobmers. Lots of practice under their belts.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
If I was a family man, a farmer..
And was kidnapped in the night, held hostage for years, waterboarded, starved, put in stress positions.... then released with a ' sorry, my bad. God bless America and go on your way '

I too would join up.

You are so right. If I was an innocent farmer that was kidnapped, waterboarded and forced to sit in uncomfortable positions ( like front row in a Cher concert) I would hold a grudge also.

It is super that you hate America SO much that you think we do that.

Did you become so loveable all on your own or did you take a "I hate America class at the local tech school?"

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

So you think the majority of Christians are abortion clinic bombers...huh?

You are deluded, and show your true colors of discrimination, and preconceived ideas that fit your own beliefs.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

No, that was a sarcastic comment about the absurdity of changing fanatics of one religion into fanatics of another.

But you're right. I am biased against organized religion of all types. I fly those colors proudly.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by TH3ON3

No, that was a sarcastic comment about the absurdity of changing fanatics of one religion into fanatics of another.

But you're right. I am biased against organized religion of all types. I fly those colors proudly.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by asmeone2]

Yes, well let me tell you I don't really worry about a Christian trying to convert my soul...No it's the Muslim trying to get to Heaven by converting my body to dead according to their own holy book.

In any case, you added nothing to the conversation except to attack my suggestion as absurd, and then imply all Christians are extremist radicals...good discourse.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
What kind of policy is forcing people who are admitadly against one religion to accept it?

That isn't goign to make them change suddenly, it's going to give all the more strength to their beleif that they were right all along.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Funny how the ignorant racists have began to change this into a race thread. Sure the guys held in Guantanimo are mostly muslim, but not all of them are (probly many more aethiests in there than when they started, maybe those weak enough decided to become another religion just to get less torture by guards etc?).

As for this claim of anti US crmanager, anyone in the US, seems to be deluded that the whole world likes them or something similar... The fact is, not even we Brits, one of your close allies, likes you lol. Neither does Israel who are just milking you dry for weapons and contracts for their companies etc lol (plus your their war dog rofl, they say bite, you say who?).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join