It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama drops his plan to give businesses $3000 tax credit for jobs they create

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Is anybody keeping track of how many lies this guy has told?

Do you remember him saying (paraphrased) "If I am elected, I will give a tax credit of $3,000 to businesses for each new job they create".

Well, maybe you don't remember, since he promised the world to his followers to get elected.

But don't worry - he's gonna break it anyway:

Obama Shelves Jobs-Credit Proposal

Bowing to widespread Democratic skepticism, President-elect Barack Obama will drop his bid to include a business tax break he once touted in the economic stimulus bill now taking shape on Capitol Hill, aides said last night.

Obama suggested the $3,000-per-job credit last week as one of five individual and business tax incentives aimed at winning Republican support. He proposed $300 billion in tax relief in a bill that could reach $775 billion, and he resurrected the jobs-credit proposal from the campaign trail as one of his main provisions.

www.washingtonpost.com...

It seems that once he sat down and thought about it (or someone took him by the ear and schooled him) he realized that it would be easily abused.

Maybe this is just that "inexperienced" part of him showing itself?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Well, it wasn't really a lie. Keep in mind, his whole campaign was based on "hope". We got what he said, "hope" for awhile, but now reality!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Clearly you have not been appropriately programmed by the media. Do not question The One. The One knows what is right, you do not.

I do find it somewhat hilarious that many on the left spent the entire election season assuring us all that Barry was going to rule from the center and that he even had business tax cuts in his plan.

And look what was first to go. Not a surprise - everyone knew he was going to sweep all that silly economics and tax producers as soon as he got the chance.

Next up, Barry will wave his magic wand and that "no tax increases for anyone below $250,000" will magically drop to $100,000 or less. After all, we have to fund that $1 TRILLION DOLLAR PORK BARREL SPENDING PACKAGE hes pushing through.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
That bonus would only benefit those companies that NEED to hire someone anyway. Why would you want to hire someone just to get 3 grand if you didn't need the worker?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Hendu

That is the point. It does nothing to stimulate *new* job creation; those people would most likely have been hired anyway.

Also, what's to prevent an employer from laying off 200 workers, and then hiring them back to get the tax credit?

Not well thought out, not at all.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is an example of what's to come. Obama's ideas are just that - ideas. He still has to push them past Congress and this one died in the last Senate Finance Committee meeting.

Again, the Wall Street Journal said this would happen:

online.wsj.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Do you remember him saying (paraphrased) "If I am elected, I will give a tax credit of $3,000 to businesses for each new job they create".

You know, I really don't. Do you? Because I thought the$3000 tax incentive for businesses was a recent idea - a proposal for his economic stimulus package. I don't remember it being a campaign promise...

And from your source:

Obama suggested the $3,000-per-job credit last week as one of five individual and business tax incentives aimed at winning Republican support.

Could you present a source that talks about this campaign promise? I can't find it.

Obama's small business plan
Blueprint for Change
Obama Speeches

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon
reply to post by jsobecky

Well, it wasn't really a lie. Keep in mind, his whole campaign was based on "hope". We got what he said, "hope" for awhile, but now reality!

Uh. No it wasnt. It was based on "change".

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Gordon Brown is trying that very same tactic here in England.

Pay an employer two and a half grand (about a months reasonable wages) to hire someone for an unspecified duration of time, to perform a job that does not exist in the vain hope that throwing more money into an ever increasing hole will save his political career.

It won't work.

It is impossible to create a profit by forcing companies to do things that nobody wants.

A consumer society that relies on people buying and selling crap will never be self sustaining.

You have actually got to be able to MAKE useful things, and, seeing as our economy has been involved in making things that don't exist as real entities for the last twenty years, instead of real objects, it is hardly surprising that everything is turning into #. Because that is what it is. #.

There are not many engineers left any more.

School leavers can't write, speak or do basic math anymore.

They all think that selling # made by someone else is the way forward ... and it ain't.

They all think the world owes them a living and it most certainly does not.

They think that they can waltz into any job they desire and earn a living by doing nothing useful ... because that is what they have been taught to believe.

They can't.

It is not possible to run a modern economy with people who think that pop stars and 'celebrity' and all the #e broadcast in the popular media is a sustainable way to make a living.

It isn't.

And our youth are not qualified to anything else other than to watch the telly and think that the world owes them a living.

It doesn't, never did and never will.

Gordon Brown has wrecked England. He should be tried for treason.

And then hung.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
If a business needs an employee they hire one. If a business hires a bunch of people for the $3K, if they dont need the people, the new hires will just be let go. In case Obama didnt know people even burger flippers get more than $3K annual salary. I wouldnt be surprised if Obama didnt know that.

So what do the businesses do? Hire a bunch of people they dont need for the $3K then go bankrupt paying for employees they cant afford or just constantly hire people to work for a couple of days and fire them?

This is right up there with screen doors on submarines for good ideas.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
A tax cut like that would not help businesses ... considering it costs companies 10x that amount to hire and properly train someone. You don't need a 'Law / Business' degree to know that.

You know .. its funny, The die hard Obamanauts littering this site pre election, but nowhere to be found now.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I believe that the "idea" was not so bright as it would have been a waste of tax payer money.

But the money will be included with the proposed tax brakes to businesses.

We all know that due to the economy woes small businesses are the biggest losers and they need help and fast before more millions of jobs are lost before the proposed stimulus hit the main street America.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

You know, I really don't. Do you? Because I thought the$3000 tax incentive for businesses was a recent idea - a proposal for his economic stimulus package. I don't remember it being a campaign promise...

And from your source:

Obama suggested the $3,000-per-job credit last week as one of five individual and business tax incentives aimed at winning Republican support.

Could you present a source that talks about this campaign promise? I can't find it.

From the same paragraph you cited:

Obama suggested the $3,000-per-job credit last week as one of five individual and business tax incentives aimed at winning Republican support. He proposed $300 billion in tax relief in a bill that could reach $775 billion, and he resurrected the jobs-credit proposal from the campaign trail as one of his main provisions.

Plus, a video showing him proclaiming it has been showed all day long. Not sure if it was during the campaign, but it sure seems like it was.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

And from your source:

Plus, a video showing him proclaiming it has been showed all day long. Not sure if it was during the campaign, but it sure seems like it was.

You are going to be a very busy person if you start a post for every broken campaign promise.

I hope you have an ergonomic keyboard.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I'm not really interested in what a journalist said Obama did, I'm interested in the campaign promise you paraphrased in your first post... He did promise a small business HEALTH tax credit, but that's not this $3000 thing you say he promised. I'm not saying he didn't. I just don't remember it and can't find it.

I haven't been watching TV all day.

If you could provide a link to back up what you claim, that would be nice.

Originally posted by jjkenobi
You are going to be a very busy person if you start a post for every broken campaign promise.

Yeah, especially if they're made up...

Look, I'm not saying he's not going to break campaign promises. He will. But I think we should at least be honest about it and not say he's lying when he's not.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I am amazed how people are now complaining about Obama campaign promises broken or not, when we have bush that crapped on everything he promised to the American citizens and more and on the American nation.

So what you people expect? this are politicians they do what they are told to do as long as is about kissing everybody's butt but the American people.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It was used extensively during his campaign. It came out as a counter to the republicans accusing his plan as a stifle to small business, and so he started to preach this tax incentive to the masses. Now the fact that educated people all said BS…it cannot work, went unnoticed.

It’s like taxing the Obama rich (250k plus) 38% to pay for a few extra trillion in spending he is looking at doing. By saying that he only lost like 2% of the vote, but now when reality kicks in and he needs to tax the top 25% to 35% and Obama rich gets lowered to 100k or lower. That would not have gone over very well during his campaign.

He did preach change, and I always said before "there will be change, but it might not be what you were hoping for"….

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm not defending Obama but, the original article source did mention that the proposal for the tax credit was made the week prior as part of the stimulus package. Which of course was after the election.

Obama still needs to be riding one of these:

www.chariotaku.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

[edit on 14-1-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Pardon the last post link mishap

Obama's new ride

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

This is something he mentioned on the campaign trail. In fact, he brought this up during one of the debates with McCain.

I'll see if I can find the video.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join