It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Declares State Of Emergency In D.C.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. Let Obama or the DNC pay the tab for his lavish coronation as "The One".

Do we really need to spend so much money on this foolishness when people are losing their jobs and their homes?

Why should the taxpayers have to pick up the tab?

WASHINGTON (AP) ― President George W. Bush has declared an emergency in the District of Columbia that will let the nation's capital tap deeper into federal coffers for Barack Obama's inauguration.

Bush said Tuesday that an emergency exists and ordered federal aid to supplement the $15 million in federal funds already appropriated for the event.

White House spokesman Scott Stanzel says District of Columbia Mayor Adrian M. Fenty requested the emergency declaration last week because he decided that the crowds expected for the inauguration of Obama will exceed the city's ability to protect the public.

If the extra money is needed, it will come from the Federal Emergency and Management Agency budget.

cbs13.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Wow, that's stupid.
But in retrospect, they get a parade and all sorts of cool stuff... I wish I could go. It's like how NYC has to tap into their resources for things like New Year's Eve and things.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
hmmmm according to the bill passed all bush needs to stay in office is a natural disaster or something where he has to declare a state of emergency.

im not saying he will stay in office but kind of convenient dont ya think.
the rules of the bill are met. legally if he wanted there would be nothing we could do

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I agree this is extravagant and over the top as was pointed out four years ago:

Over $35 million for Bush Coronation - Not Counting Security!
The Inauguration - by the numbers

How much are they spending this year?

BTW I don't recall your protestations 4 years ago... In fact I remember quite the opposite:

Originally posted by jsobecky
Party on, George!

I'm guessing that the bulk of the party expenses are still privately funded and thus acceptable to you?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Why can't they just save taxpayers money and have a transfer of power on a military base and broadcast it all over the world for all of those interested?

Like I said, this inauguration speaks volumes of how much the incoming party really cares about our current economy. Maybe they will start thinking twice before bashing CEO's for doing the same thing they are doing.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Consider it an investment. Whatever is spent on the Inauguration a percentage will be paid back in CHOPE.

I wonder at what percentage my CHOPE returns will be taxed? I guess it depends on how much the Inauguration costs.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think that in general, inaugurations should be simple affairs. For example, the new president coupld rip out the beating heart of the old president, Aztec-style, with an obsidian knife and hold it up to the sun before devouring it in ritual ecstasy.

Buyt that's just me.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

And, you omitted Bley's response:

Important to note that the 35 million is NOT being paid by taxpayers.

The inauguration is estimated to cost $30 million to $40 million, which private donations will cover. Link

Personally I don't care if it costs 100 hundred or 100 million dollars so long as the donations come from private sources and not from the federal treasury.

B.

To answer how much this will cost:

COST OF INAUGURATION TO EXCEED $75 MILLION

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Nice attempt to be partisan there Gools! You even linked to your extremely partisan and biased "Bush Coronation" spam/political rant. But I'm afraid you just reality shoved in your face.

Four years ago we were in a economic boom, now Obama has self-declared things are about to be worse than the great depression. Yet, he is planning a super-extravagant inauguration. It would be one thing if Obama had declared the good times were ahead and was spending like it, but the exact opposite has happened.

This is the problem with Obama - he says one thing, and then does something completely different. If he really thought the Great Depression II was right around the corner, the right thing to do would be to save taxpayers money and cancel the inauguration or scale it down.

I await your outrage that your personal God Obama is spending like British Royalty, Gools. Somehow I don't think it will ever come

God save himself! All hail the Messiah Obama and his royal coronation!

[edit on 13-1-2009 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If you have a man-made event that causes a state of emergency for that area, you don't call for a state of emergency....you scale back the event as to not cause a state of emergency.

Calling for a state of emergency in this case is a slap in the face to the hundreds of thousands of people every year that get caught up in real natural disasters that effect the United States every year.

I don't have a good feeling about this inauguration. I don't want to go into details...but I am sensing some sort of tragedy coming.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
What? These guys will drop trillions to banks to bail them out of their screwups and not care what we think. They won't tell us what they even did with it because we are so shortsighted and easily distracted as a nation that they will get away with it.
Do you think these same folks won't throw around a measly 30 or 40 million to get the 'success' propaganda out? They know most Americans will watch this circus and buy into it just like they did with Bush.
This is going to be the production of the century. We'll get to see fireworks and hear the glory speeches and everybody will stand there to honor the office of president and the flag. Pomp and Circumstance.
The majority of the country will see it as the start of a new era.
The next morning the whole dirty bunch of criminals on capitol hill will be right back at it but they will have a new face to put on the presidential puppet.

State of emergency? How could anybody possibly be surprised?
These guys would sell their grandmothers for the money to put on this show.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The last I heard there were over 600 motel rooms available! I am from D.C. and let me tell you thats alot of rooms left.I believe it's alot of msm hype going on and a good sign that people are begining to see the only change going on is Obama.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
And all of you thought that he wasn't going to do it!

I knew all along that he would stage something before he left office so he could retain some political power.

He is just trying to retain as much power as he can.

That's all.

He doesn't want to give up his post.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
From the viewpoint of the Park Police, the extra Police & security personnel from the adjoining states on TDY to DC...
it will be a welcome bonus payday and even considered a working
vacation stint.

the ballooned $75 million is mostly the cost for the men & women to
provide for the public safety... i'm sure that muggings & pickpockets
and robberies away from the crowds & security forces will be very high
on that historical day...
Foggy bottom and Georgetown will be prime target areas, with the well-to-do residents lining Pennsylvania Avenue instead of protecting their homes
and sanctuaries.

All the radio equipment, personnel carriers, a sizeable national-Guard
waiting in the shadows, and the 40-50,000 badged personnel with
boots on the ground providing 24 hr security for the 1-2 million which
are expected to swell the city streets .... a price of $75Mil is a very good investment

besides, someone also has to scoop up all the road-apples the park police horses leave on the National Mall grounds.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I betcha Ron Paul wouldn't have allowed that if he was elected.

And I think Gools owes you an applause.

jso, I know we're on different ends of the spectrum politically, but I could not agree more, and you said it perfectly.

Extravagance at a time like this. PUBLIC FUNDED no less. :shk:

They play with us like a cat does before he kills a mouse, rob us, overtax us to death, then waste the fricken money on the most absurd things possible.

Yep. Change. Big change. As in millions.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
By the way, for all those flailing about over the "state of emergency" declaration, this isn't unusual. ANY large event that requires a significantly higher than normal amount of government resources causes declarations - even state governor inaugurations if they are popular enough. All it does is free up more federal resources. Bush had to issue it because of the wierd government situation with who is in control in DC - it has its own local governments but the federal government effectively acts as DC's state government. Normally a governor issues such declarations, but DC doesn't have one.

However, this does result in spending more money - which is unsurprising, as the media is hyping this as if it were the enthronement of America's God.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
hmmmm according to the bill passed all bush needs to stay in office is a natural disaster or something where he has to declare a state of emergency.

im not saying he will stay in office but kind of convenient dont ya think.
the rules of the bill are met. legally if he wanted there would be nothing we could do

If that happened the people would be like a giant tidal wave splashing onto a little barbie house.
I am sure we would do more than nothing if that happened.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Consider this as an economic stimulus package for Washington DC. At least the money is going to ordinary citizens ie security, catering etc. Also, imagine how much money visitors to Washington are going to be spending.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Q&A: MALCOLM WILEY ( Secret Service Special Agent and Spkes person for the Agency)
Secret Service Gears Up For Inauguration
Agent Says The Event's Chief Law Enforcement Agency Is Ready For All Eventualities

Wiley: This event has been designated a National Special Security Event; that's a designation given by the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security. And basically what that designation means is that the Secret Service assumes its mandated role as the lead agency responsible for the design and implementation of the operational security plan. It's something that we do, however, with lots of partners

Wiley: Absolutely. Any time we have a National Special Security Event, we have to rely on the expertise of our partner agencies. That's how you get such a large number. It's because of those partnerships that we're able to make our plan as strong as it possibly can be.
Certainly people hear our name and they understand our mission, but there are 57 other agencies outside of the Secret Service who are working on putting this together. The security of this event is as important for them as it is for us. And we can't do our job without them. Without the help of the Metropolitan Police Department and Capitol Police and Park Police and the FBI and FEMA and the military and all of the D.C. public safety and law enforcement agencies, we would not be able to put as comprehensive a plan together.

Wiley: We have a template in place.... One of the first things we do is to create a steering committee. That steering committee is made up of command-level folks from the different agencies who are going to have a hand in putting together the plan. What's done after that is we create a set of subcommittees. For this particular event, there are 23 different subcommittees, each who have a piece of the security puzzle. So for instance, we have subcommittees that are responsible for air space security, for civil disturbance, for prisoner processing, for credentialing.[/ex]

Wiley: Not specifically. Some of those things, I don't want to get into the means and methods of how we do things. But for instance, one threat would be a gunman. That's a threat that we always look at when you're in a security environment. Another threat could potentially be biochem hazards.... We think about it as a 360-degree plan, which means that we want to protect everything around us, everything above us and everything below us. So, if you think in those terms, we're thinking about anything that could approach us from any of those directions.

Wiley: The fact that Barack Obama is an African-American is something that's not lost on us as an agency. We understand the historic nature of this event.... But again, what that means is that we look at it as just a part of our larger security puzzle. There are several things that we look at, and several things that we consider when putting together a plan. Him being an African-American and factors related to that are just a piece of that larger puzzle

NJ: Will you require people attending only the parade to go through security?

Wiley: Absolutely, yes. Anyone attending an inaugural event should expect to go through some level of screening. That's true of the swearing-in ceremony, and that's true of the parade, and that's true of any of the NSSE-designated inaugural balls. But folks who are standing along the parade route should expect to go though screening to include magnetometers, metal detectors and other screening to stand there on Pennsylvania Avenue and watch the parade go by.

NJ: Do you acknowledge that there have been hate-group threats against Obama?

Wiley: Do I acknowledge that we have received threats that are based on his race? Yes, I'll acknowledge that, but I won't speak specifically to any particular groups

A very interesting and informative interview which makes it just common sense on many levels to be as Wiley put it, on level 10 security for this event. With upwards of 4 million people expected to attend, they not only have the safety of the President to contend with, but also the lives of millions of Americans and visitors alike.

Calling for State of emergency is one of the wisest choices to be made. Read the full page interview at National Journal Online, well worth the read.

www.nationaljournal.com...
Edit:

[edit on 13-1-2009 by antar]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Celebrities To Flock To Inauguration For Obama

The gig of 2009 will take place Jan. 20 on a wintry field in Washington.

"January 20 is going to be ground zero for everyone who wants to be part of this celebration, and that's going to include boldface names and A-listers from Oprah on down," said Roxanne Roberts, co-author of the Washington Post's column "The Reliable Source." "On that particular weekend, this is where the action is."

Another good reason for the mulititudes of security is that the inaguration promises to be one of the most starstudded events in recent political history. There are already huge lists of Performers offering to do any thing they can to participate.

This in and of its self leads me to think that "everylittlething is going to be alright..."

cbs13.com...

[edit on 13-1-2009 by antar]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join