It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Treasury Secretary Pick In Hot Seat Over Taxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Here we go again. Still another Obama appointee under probe for misdeeds, before he is even sworn in:

Senators Probe Geithner in Discussion On Capitol Hill

WASHINGTON (AP) ― President-elect Barack Obama's choice to run the Treasury Department and lead the economic rescue effort disclosed publicly Tuesday that he failed to pay $34,000 in taxes from 2001 to 2004, a last-minute complication in an otherwise smooth path to confirmation.

Timothy Geithner paid most of the past-due taxes days before Obama announced his nomination in November, according to materials released by the Senate Finance Committee. He had paid the remainder of the taxes in 2006, after the IRS sent him a bill.

The still-unpaid taxes were discovered by Obama's transition team while investigating Geithner's background.

cbs13.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This is the CHANGE that Obama promised? Geithner can't handle his own taxes, and now he is expected to handle our taxes? It is an "obamanation" that this nomination is still proceeding in committee, and hasn't been withdrawn.
I was going to post this information this morning,. but checked and found your thread. I can't believe that more ATS members aren't outraged by this, regardless of where they stand on the political spectrum. After all, it is all of our tax money, that this clown will try to "appropriate" to more "Bailouts".
People should write their Senators and Congressional Representative and express outrage over this.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

That is a shame, here we regular Americans been taken for a ride by our own government stealing our hard earned dollars and now we have a "public servant to be" that is a tax evader, lo and behold, if it was you or me we will be deal with with the full extend of the law.

Shame, shame, shame, another thief to take care of Americans tax payer dollars.

So far Obama appointees shows nothing that will bring change to this nation

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well let's see... Bill Richardson - being investigated for "Pay-to-play" scandal prior to his withdrawl. The "Pay-to-play" scandal involving Rahm Emmanual and Blago to fill the Senate seat vacated by Obama. His Fed appointment is another wall street insider. The majority of cabinet are Clinton retreads. And now this.

Seems to me that "Change" isn't really change at all - just more beltway politics. So, how many more days until the revolution begins?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
HAHAH .."while investigating his background.."

Yeah right... I really believe that.

This is either :

A - A ploy to make it look like they actually do work and investigate their picks.. or..

B - Someone else did the work and is making them voice this.

My pick is both.

Why do all of his cabinet picks seem 'dirty'?

Buyers remorse anyone?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cio88

Why do all of his cabinet picks seem 'dirty'?

Because they are....just like almost every other damn politician. This all makes me sick to my stomach.

Let's just let it slide..it's ok that he tried to avoid paying taxes...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
OK, everyone, let's put the Obama bashing aside.

Obama said it's an "innocent mistake" and we need to believe what The One has said.

news.yahoo.com...

Shucks, it's an "innocent mistake" that he didn't pay $34,000 of taxes? I guess Obama does think we're all idiots.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Who is helping Obama make his choices? He'll add Madoff to his administration next at this rate.

What a joke.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Uh, mmm, uh, Obama has lacked horrible judgement in those he surrounds himself with, so not sure why anyone thought he would, uh, mmm, uh, have great judgement on those he appoints into his cabinet.

The man has no experience on anything and as much judgement as a child. It is becoming more and more evident every day.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You'll notice the pro-bama crowd hasn't bothered to comment. And I agree - a simple mistake that $34K in taxes wasn't paid? BS!

Oh wait a sec ... wait a sec! Hear that sound? They're making the tee shirts and bumper stickers already! The ones that say "Don't blame me. I didn't vote for 'The Messiah!'"

And yet, still 6 days until inauguration. This circus is just getting better and better day by day. With each little pile of dog poo that Obama steps in, getting himself into trouble or causing himself further scrutiny, the smug smile on my face gets bigger and bigger. C'mon Pro-bama's - where's that smug attitude over your savior now? And how long is it going to take you to admit that you've been royally HAD by the media and by a slick-talking politician?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Who is helping Obama make his choices?

I'm pretty sure it's Blagojevich. He's selling them to the highest bidder.
As to why the pro-Obama crowd isn't here yet, don't worry. I think they're just finishing up their evening prayers to Obama, as they face in the direction of Chicago.

new topics

top topics

join