It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no minimum speed limits?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by photobug

new jersey state police do this on a regular basis,especially by the ben franklin bridge and down rt 40 they line up and dont let anyone pass.
another pet peeve of mine is people that stop more that once at a stop sign. if you stop while in line,when you reach the stop sign,if its clear you don't have to stop again.
and i learned it at driving school.
i know this law is good in texas and new jersey.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Spectre0o0]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Theres no minimum speed limit because then Politicians could be ticketed for going too slow when they are actually on a recruitment drive for the local prostitutes. (also called kerbcrawling)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I agree people who drive ridiculously slow are a danger.
To lack the reflex's to not even do half the speed limit renders them in the same category as someone who is drunk.
Its actually illegal to impend traffic but no laws for actually driving to slow its just impeding traffic due to driving to slow.
But they never prosecute it because all the person has to do is plead to the politically correct moronic judge that they are just being safe.
And then they get let off as a good little do gooder.
Its much easier for them to make more money from people driving to fast.
They actually like ridiculously slow drivers because, it makes normal people speed to get around them, and then of course they get revenue for that.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Hm, I think this may vary from state to state. Here there is no minuimum. Those of you who do live where there is one--please chime in on how you think it works.

Where I'm at if you go slower than 15mph of the speed posted you can be ticketed depending on the situation.

Several old folks in my area have lost their drivers license because of it.

If your the only one on the road and a cop shows up chances are they will pull you over for going too slow thinking your hiding something from them. But if he see's old folks he won't bother.

Now if it's in the middle of town and your backing up traffic you will get pulled over and ticketed. If it continues you will lose your license at least here anyway.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre0o0
another pet peeve of mine is people that stop more that once at a stop sign. if you stop while in line,when you reach the stop sign,if its clear you don't have to stop again.
and i learned it at driving school
[edit on 14-1-2009 by Spectre0o0]

Haha maybe in your state but, in South Carolina on nearly every street with a stop sign they plunk the things down behind a hill or about 10ft back from the intersection. The rules in the handbook here say you have to stop at the sign and then move up to the intersection and stop again to make sure traffic isn't coming...yeah odd.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

This is probably the one and only place where I would like to see more regulations put into place.

I think that, just as cities enforce a maximum driving speed, there should be a minimum.

I have seen so many people wreck or almost wreck because of driving too slow on a road--not to mention, they can greatly impede the flow of traffic.

I do not know the physics to know what a safe margin would be, but I think that on roads that are faster than, say, 40 MPH a minimum shoudl be enforced.

If the minimum is 50MPH, for instance, you must cruise at at least 45 MPH, if it is 60 MPH you must cruise at least 55MHP.

I think that someone will respond and say "Well, those drivers are going as fast as they feel is safe! Don't pick on Grandma!" No, I think it is more unsafe to them and the person around them, and that if they do not feel they can drive safely at the proper speed, they should reconsider whether they should drive.

I was pulled over for going to slow.
hahahaaa, i swear. This was in PA.

It was foggy and visibility was low.
I was told that the law is that you must
have your hazards on when going under 45.

I was going 44.

I have toured for months on end and do notice
that there are minimum speed signs up at times.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Spectre0o0

'Fraid not. Each car must stop at the stop sign/stop line as if no one were at the intersection.

www.ehow.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What gets my goat here in the UK are the idiots who drive at 40 mph in a 60 mph limit and then speed up to 60 when I try to pass them causing me to either break the limit or pull in again only for them to slow down again.Someone locally was recently jailed after a fatal accident in which he says was caused by sombody doing this to him.

A white van driver who killed a Lincolnshire grandmother when he overtook into the path of an oncoming car has been jailed for three years. Joiner Bradley Quickfall blamed the crash which killed Joan Kelly (74) on the car driver he was overtaking, claiming the man accelerated and left him stranded on the wrong side of the road. But the jury at Lincoln Crown Court took just two hours to convict Quickfall of causing death by dangerous driving as a result of the smash on the A46 at Cabourne, near Caistor, on November 15, 2007. Quickfall (29), of Raithby Avenue, Keelby, near Grimsby, denied the charge during a three day trial. The jury heard how Quickfall, who was driving a works van, pulled out to overtake a car but did not complete the manouevre and was faced with an oncoming Corsa driven by 78-year-old Matthew Kelly. Mr Kelly , who was on his correct side of the road, had no chance of avoiding a collision. Quickfall tried to avoid the car by driving onto the grass verge but struck the front passenger side of the Corsa. Mrs Kelly, who was in the front passenger seat, died and both Mr Kelly and their daughter, Melanie Dunwell, were seriously injured. Mr Kelly has since also died, although not of his injuries. As well as his jail term, Quickfall was also banned from driving for four years.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
there cant be a posted minimum speed limit due to the fact that you cant always drive at say 30 MPH.

if there is a back up on the off ramp, you are going to have to slow down or even come to a complete stop.

i do know in california you can get pulled over for going too slow, but it is considered unsafe/wreckless driving. so there are laws in place to prevent unsafe slow driving, but it is impossible to have a posted minimum speed limit and enforce it 100%

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

In the US, an officer can cite someone for impeding traffic on any road if he/she deems that car to be a traffic hazzard.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I have heard the rule is generally about 20mph on highways. I have heard of people being pulled over when traffic is screeching and careening around them because they are doing 30 mph below everyone else.

I know that there is an unofficial minimum.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

You should be allowed to drive slow just because you don't know how to drive safely at the speed limit? Absolutely not. People holding other people up on the road should be ticketed. In a city like Los Angeles it infuriates me to see people driving 10mph under the speed limits on the city streets here, when we already have enough of a problem with traffic.

This morning on the way to work some stupid chick was driving 25 in a 35 zone and I wanted to get out and beat her to a pulp, and I'm driving a Smart car for christs sake. That says something.

Drive the ***** speed limit or get off the road.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'd just like to point out info according to a post earlier about lane usage on motorways in the uk was incorrect.

The lanes have nothing to do with the speed you are travelling, the correct usage is as folows.. All traffic should use the left-most line, if it is necessary to overtake you should move to the nextlane on the right, if you then need to overtake a vehicle in that lane you move into the next lane on the right, once the lane to the left is again clear you should return there. HGVs and coachs should only use the two left most lanes.

In my opinion, if you wish to travel at less then 15% below the prevailing speed of traffic you should receive a ticket equal to people who travel 15% above the limit. That said it is my opinion that if everybody on the motorway/freeway/hiway whatever decided to travel at 130mph and kept the appropriate safe distances then there should be no penalty. It is huge differences in relative speed that cause accidents.. Just as 1 person doing 110 on a road of people doing 80 or 70 is dangerous, so is one person doing 40/50

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

In NJ there is a min speed limit. It is seldom enforced as it is up to the trooper. I had a buddy who was a state trooper and he consistently pulled folks over for driving too slow as a matter of principal. I agree that folks driving way too slow (especially when not in the right lane) are a source of many accidents.

I think that there is some sense of picking on the elderly that goes into the lack of enforcement. That and the fact that it is more fun to catch a speeder.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Papa Sierra

sorry i guess we will have to agree to disagree on paying attention you see im just guessing that most people on here have been driving for a few years or alot and we all know that there are slow drivers and old drivers and some of us learn to deal with them while others get p*ssed off at them(they are like the government here and in the way) just get use to them and try your best to stay away from them and florida has alot of them most people that complain about slow people are inconvenienced by having to apply pressure to the brake petal just a quick note if you do happen to rearend a slow driver your at fault because they never ask how slow a person was going
\

Here' s my gripe with that though.

Why should the burden of "paying attentionness" be on the people who are driving correctly?

Shoudln't we say, people should pay just as much attention to ensuring that they are driving correctly as to watching out for danger?

If a driver pays so much attention to watching out for hazards that he can't keep pace with traffic, then he is the danger.

I think it's silly to say "Just watch out for the bad drivers and you'll be OK," we should put equal burden on ensuring that no bad drivers get on the road.

Considering that traffic fatalities can, and often do, occure because someone who is unfit in one sense or another gets behind the wheel, I beleive that it is justifiable to trump personal liberty in this case.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
you might get pulled over for "stunting" if you drive too slow would be my guess, or obstructing traffic. Stunting is where you distract other drivers.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I know in PA if you drive 10 mph below the speed limit your supposed to put your 4 ways on.
Honestly no one follows the rule and I think it should be enforced to keep the slow pokes off the main traveled roads. I see these slow pokes on major highways (65mph) doing 35-40mph. That is just ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

This is probably the one and only place where I would like to see more regulations put into place.

I think that, just as cities enforce a maximum driving speed, there should be a minimum.

I have seen so many people wreck or almost wreck because of driving too slow on a road--not to mention, they can greatly impede the flow of traffic.

I do not know the physics to know what a safe margin would be, but I think that on roads that are faster than, say, 40 MPH a minimum shoudl be enforced.

If the minimum is 50MPH, for instance, you must cruise at at least 45 MPH, if it is 60 MPH you must cruise at least 55MHP.

I think that someone will respond and say "Well, those drivers are going as fast as they feel is safe! Don't pick on Grandma!" No, I think it is more unsafe to them and the person around them, and that if they do not feel they can drive safely at the proper speed, they should reconsider whether they should drive.

Uhm, there is a minimum speed limit, in most all states 10 miles under the limit is the minimum...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
[more

I'm just trying to state that if you rearend somebody no matter how slow they are going you are at fault and you get the reckless driving ticket not the slow *ss driver plus you pay for the damages,trust me i dont like slow drivers anymore than you do, they are a danger but the are here and like one poster said better to chase a speeder than give a person a ticket for going to slow, its all a money racket for states so all you can do is watch out for them and stay out of there way

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

How do you enforce minimum speed limits?. There are many legitimate reasons for going under the SL, such as bad weather or plans to turn or maybe the guy in front is going slow. OTOH there are no legal reasons for speeding.

What we need to do is LOWER speed limits and enforce them with stiff penalties. Speeding and drunk driving are obviously the two biggest crime problems we have in america. Your chances of being killed or maimed by a criminal driver are literally a thousand times greater than by a terrorist.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join