It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no minimum speed limits?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

Now im not too familiar with your road laws, im assuming a slip road is the road leading off the highway / motorway?? In the UK we have 3 lanes on a motorway, lane 1 is for people entering the motorway, driving at a casual speed/leaving the motorway, Lane 2 is for people driving at their own speed that is under the 70MPH limit, but over a silly slow speed, and lane is for overtaking if you want to do the 70MPH limit.

That is one of my pet hates which I really wish was clamped down on like the government said they were going to. I do alot of motorway driving and it appears to be a common misconception that the central lane is for cruising. Its not, the middle and outside lanes are overtaking lanes and overtaking lanes only. Most slow moving traffic on the motorway is caused by people cruising in these two lanes when not actually overtaking.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by onetruesaxon

Here in the US it is different. The right lane is for slower moving traffic, and the far left lanes are for passing. (Depending how many lanes there are.)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I think that makes it the same because we drive on the left hand side. The lane closer to the traffic coming the other direction is the faster moving one. is that what you have?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Yes. Thats right, lol, you guys do things opposite from us when it comes to driving.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by onetruesaxon
I think that makes it the same because we drive on the left hand side. The lane closer to the traffic coming the other direction is the faster moving one. is that what you have?

Yes it's the same.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

lol, I should of known the answer really considering I've done a road trip from New York to San Diego...guess I'm not very observant

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yes, as above. I was thinking along the lines of having different license features such as the elderly that can no longer drive on freeways should be able to drive the backroads and around town but, not drive on the freeway when it is deemed they are too dangerous to do so. I know many elderly that have done this for many years anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Well to be honest, same here. I should have known too. I have been to the UK, and my fiance is Scottish, but when we are there he drives. Its just in everyones best interest, in my opinion, lol. I am a fantastic driver. Here. But your roads there are so crazy narrow and that whole everything backwards, (including the steering wheel) intimidates me.

I dont want to cause even more bad press for the Yanks by going the wrong way in a roundabout and causing an international incident.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This si really funny and if you havn't seen it you have to watch it. It's something I would have done as a teen actually I have. LOL

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Most texas and oklahoma turnpikes, and interstates have 45mph minimum speed limits.

One more extrmemely info packed, informative line for fun, and mod acceptance. Oh and btw I added this line because I'm pretty sure the one line post rule kinda sucks.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by photobug

Haha, that is funny! The editing is crap and those kids were rather inconsiderate, but the video is good to prove the point!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I live in Florida at the moment and there are some stretches of highway here that have a minimum. Personally, I hate it. You see, Florida is clogged with old people and non-confident drivers. This minimum allows these people to screw up the roadway for everyone else and cause traffic.

If you are old, and think that 45MPH is a good enough speed, do not take a freeway. If you are someone who is not confident at handling a car at 70MPH then don't put yourself into a situation where you have to.

I have been in a lot of situations where these slow drivers have almost gotten me killed or at least in horrible wrecks. A minimum is unnecessary and dangerous. If it's raining and you can't see enough to go 70MPH, then I understand your slowness.

But in an everyday situation, you're impeding everyone and being a danger.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I got a good idea instead of complaining about how slow a person is going start paying attention to the road I've seen plenty of accident that should not of happened but did because nobody pays attention to what is going on around there car just what is going on in there car plus what some of you consider as a cruising speed would be slow to others

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This isn't about who's paying attention to the road or not. I pay attention to the road and that's helped me get out of situations where slow drivers were placing me in dangerous situations.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
This isn't about who's paying attention to the road or not. I pay attention to the road and that's helped me get out of situations where slow drivers were placing me in dangerous situations.

Got to agree.

I am thinking of some of the highway out in New Mexico, West Texas area.

The speed limit is about 75.

The secenery is such that it is very difficult to keep a sense of perspective in places like this, especially at night--some of them are not lighted at all, other than reflectors on curves... it's just impossible to realize that you are moving, let alone get a proper perspective on how far away something ahead of you is.

In sitiuations like this someone who chooses to go less than the minimum could be very dangerous.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Yeah, the highways out there are definitely rough at night. We drove from California to Florida when we moved here and I remember the way the highway was. Really dark and rarely lighted.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

Wow, I bet you passed through my town!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I think the minimum speed on interstate highways is 45 mph. It is posted on the Ohio and Pa turnpikes. Local roads don't bother; too many exceptions.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick

sorry i guess we will have to agree to disagree on paying attention you see im just guessing that most people on here have been driving for a few years or alot and we all know that there are slow drivers and old drivers and some of us learn to deal with them while others get p*ssed off at them(they are like the government here and in the way) just get use to them and try your best to stay away from them and florida has alot of them most people that complain about slow people are inconvenienced by having to apply pressure to the brake petal just a quick note if you do happen to rearend a slow driver your at fault because they never ask how slow a person was going

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
im from winnipeg manitoba canada. and here you can get a ticket for driving to slow

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join