It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no minimum speed limits?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Bob Down Under

Sorry to disagree, But when on a slip road leading onto a freeway you have to get up to speed relating to the traffic and conditions if there is room to enter it safely not just swing in at a low speed.

If not you slow and wait for and opening in the traffic long enough so as not to cause anyone to brake hard or take avaisive actions.

Now im not too familiar with your road laws, im assuming a slip road is the road leading off the highway / motorway?? In the UK we have 3 lanes on a motorway, lane 1 is for people entering the motorway, driving at a casual speed/leaving the motorway, Lane 2 is for people driving at their own speed that is under the 70MPH limit, but over a silly slow speed, and lane is for overtaking if you want to do the 70MPH limit.

Now one thing I can relate on, "If not you slow and wait for and opening in the traffic long enough so as not to cause anyone to brake hard or take avaisive actions." If you are following at a reasonable braking distance, then that not need to apply? There may be a problem here on different laws, so sorry once again if i dont quite follow you, lol

A slip road is entering a freeway and exiting here in OZ and yes I no England very well, I was born there and drove there until I was 30 and have been back many times.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Bob Down Under]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
reply to post by woogleuk

Not to sound harsh, but if you don't feel safe driving at the posted speed limit, then don't drive. If you ride a bike, stay off the roads. Get a scooter that goes faster, they do make them.

Don't endanger other people because you want to poke around like some old biddy who can barely see and has slow reaction time.

Actually in a lot of cities bikes most be ridden on roads/streets and not sidewalks so you would have to stay on the road.

There should be minimums but also they should not be everywhere you have several things that could happen, children running in the streets, residential areas, deaf pedestrians, pedestrians in general. Most cars don't stop for people on foot even when there supposed to like at cross walks and the such and people just have to wait until there is no traffic having faster limits would create problems for people crossing streets.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Why no minimum speed limits? Because of bad weather. With black ice, or bad snow, do you really need a cop pulling you over for not going to minimum?

Agree but lets call it reckless driving and they do if your going to slow in clear conditions and causing traffic caos.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well I'm going to just jump right into this…
I have driven on many Highways/Freeways and everything in-between throughout the US and Canada and I know that for example you can get a ticket doing the posted speed limit for impeding the flow of traffic on the LA freeways, During heavy traffic the average flow of traffic is 70-75mph and I was doing 60

Also you can get the same on the Jersey turnpike. I was pulled over and given a warning for going the posted speed limit again for impeding the flow of traffic. So having a minimum sure but from my experience even going the posted speed can be a hazard to the flow of traffic.

My lesson learned?
Go with the flow!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Sorry, I was speaking redneck. I agree that it is the drivers responsibility to pay attention to what the other drivers are doing. But there are situations where the people that are driving too slow cause more havoc than the one speeding. If you are on a two or three lane road. You are going the speed limit. The cars on one side are going slower than the limit or are catching up to the limit. If on a three lane the lane on the other side has people coming up and you can’t get over. Well if some one driving slower than the lime pulls out right in front of you then there is nothing you can do. But lock your breaks down and hope for the best.

Now the people that do not like driving above 45 need to stay off the freeway. They are going to cause more accidents than the one going the limit or over. Most of the people that drive under the limit are little old ladies or people that are scared to death to drive on the freeways. They get overwhelmed by the cars passing them on both sides and forget how to drive. I can’t count the time some DA that is scared to drive the limit has almost caused me to wreck.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hi Slayer glad your joining us

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I used to live in an area that was heavily populated with retirees of varying ages. I can't tell you how many times I was almost crushed trying to enter the highway on ramp while traveling behind someone going 40 miles an hour. That is a dangerous merge.

City driving many would travel 20-25 in 35 or come to a virtual stop before making a right or left turn.

Traffic circles. Holy Cow!! I witnessed drivers going the wrong way on 3 occasions one of which came at me head on. One driver missed the circle entirely and ended up in the grassy center of the circle.

Minimum speed limits are the tip of the iceberg. How about retesting every driver on a yearly basis once they reach 70. My apologies to my parents but the truth hurts. We have restrictions on teen driving in many areas and many senior drivers could use a little restriction as well.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

well in that case, and your signature, you are a prick m8,i read the whole john lear stuff and people like skepticoverlord and others on here who are well respected (maybe not me, yet, only time will tell, i voice my opinions, what is really on my mind) are here to voice there opinions, people like you dont listen, and IMO you are not welcome here, that is my opinion.

My signature is just a light hearted joke about Lear and it does not mean I am a fan of his.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

well in that case, and your signature, you are a prick m8,i read the whole john lear stuff and people like skepticoverlord and others on here who are well respected (maybe not me, yet, only time will tell, i voice my opinions, what is really on my mind) are here to voice there opinions, people like you dont listen, and IMO you are not welcome here, that is my opinion.

Sorry sticky enter key

Who are you calling a me PRICK? Have I offended you or abused you?

NO! so what is the problem MR ATTITUDE

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Well if you're driving too slow in clear conditions, then it could be considered reckless driving and the person could get a ticket.

If they posted minimum speeds, they would still have to apply in poor conditions. I think that's why they don't. But yeah, if someone is causing danger by driving too slow, then report them.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Ant, I understand, and I agree, my point though is that you should be travelling at a speed which is slow enough for your braking time / distance, when you have clear roads, then sod the speed limit, let loose, as long as you dont get spotted by the local pigs, but also on my point, drive as you feel comfortable, as long as it isn't a nuisnance for other drivers, and 30-40MPH in the inside lane shouldn't be a nuiscance, in fact in should be safer for people entering the mtorway.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

What does that have to do with this post? And before we get too off topic remember you’re not them and we All know that.

Back to the OP

I agree with most people the on and off ramps of highways/freeways are where most accidents happen and should be dealt with carefully I can’t tell you how many tragic accidents I have past going to and from work.

The two most dangerous drivers are the young and old.
Young inexperienced drivers and the Elder who can barely see and walk to their cars let alone drive.

I always thought that after a certain age drivers should go more often for a driving abilities test or something along those lines.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Down Under

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Why no minimum speed limits? Because of bad weather. With black ice, or bad snow, do you really need a cop pulling you over for not going to minimum?

Agree but lets call it reckless driving and they do if your going to slow in clear conditions and causing traffic caos.

The law could be written to exclude such as inclement weather, traffic jams, or the like, just like you don't get speeding tickets in certain situations, like if you speed up to pass, the entire highway is speeding, or you are trying to get to the hospital.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Bob, i'm not trying to offend you, im just trying to point out that people driving slow aren't really that much of a problem, you only have one life, driving to fast in a dangerous situation, and on a motorway, that is often the cause of death, it dont get much more serous than that, the people behind should be driving slow enough behind the said slow driver to slow down or stop in time to avoid that not need death.

and im sorry for calling you a prick, im tired and i've had a bad day, lol.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Bob, i'm not trying to offend you, im just trying to point out that people driving slow aren't really that much of a problem, you only have one life, driving to fast in a dangerous situation, and on a motorway, that is often the cause of death, it dont get much more serous than that, the people behind should be driving slow enough behind the said slow driver to slow down or stop in time to avoid that not need death.

Point taken and appology accepted.

Try no to go off shotgun just because you dont agree with someone.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Down Under

There was an 80yr old woman who killed a young family in thier late 20s with two small children, while driving off a slip road on to a freeway/highway at 60klm and the max speed here in OZ is 110klm on freeways.

If the road was slippery, and they were going so fast that they could not stop when an obstacle presented itself, the young driver is to blame not the old woman.

Even if the speed limit is 70mph if the road conditions are bad, (heavy rain or snow, ice, etc) you can still be ticketed for speeding. Speed limits are the maximum speed you are allowed to travel on a road assuming ideal conditions. If the road conditions are less than ideal, even if you are not exceeding the posted speed limit you can still be penalized for driving recklessly.

I also have seen "minimum speed limits" on various roads, but what people should realize is that that also assumes ideal conditions. If you car suddenly should become disabled, (say a tire blows) no one is going to assume you have to maintain 45 mph until you find a safe turn off. If their are white out conditions or heavy fog, no one is going to expect you to maintain 45 mph either. The minimum safe speed is much more likely to vary than the maximum safe speed.

The can make all the laws they want, but driving is still a matter or using good sense to navigate the roadways.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Nobody is debating that driving fast is dangerous. I am just saying that driving slow is also dangerous.

As people have pointed out, this presents dangers to drivers when they attempt to pass a slow driverslow driver, enter a freeway behind them, or when they make a turn.

Of course the driver who was involved in the accident might have brought it upon himself, from a legal standpoint, but he would not have been in that situation if the person was going proper speed.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I've seen in many states they have a suggested speed for on/off ramps and for curves they are in a yellow and black vs standard highway black and white posted speeds. The suggested speeds are open to driver’s interpretation depending on road conditions due to factors such as weather and temperature like freezing on long/high bridges in certain areas.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
How about retesting every driver on a yearly basis once they reach 70. My apologies to my parents but the truth hurts. We have restrictions on teen driving in many areas and many senior drivers could use a little restriction as well.

They do here in NM, but its 75 not 70.

LICENSE RENEWAL FOR SENIOR DRIVERS

New Mexico drivers can either choose to renew their license for 4 or 8 years depending on the fee paid. However, it can only be renewed for 1 year after the driver reaches 75 years of age.

Although to be fair, we would also have to treat male and female drivers under a certain age differently if we were basing policy on real potential danger. Like the insurance companies do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join