It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we not revolting? It is what is in the water - new study shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
A new scientific study shows the 11 most common chemicals - not regulated by the government in our water.

The 11 most frequently detected compounds - all found at extremely low concentrations - were:

• Atenolol, a beta-blocker used to treat cardiovascular disease

• Atrazine, an organic herbicide banned in the European Union, but still used in the US, which has been implicated in the decline of fish stocks and in changes in animal behaviour

• Carbamazepine, a mood-stabilising drug used to treat bipolar disorder, amongst other things

• Estrone, an oestrogen hormone secreted by the ovaries and blamed for causing gender-bending changes in fish

• Gemfibrozil, an anti-cholesterol drug

• Meprobamate, a tranquiliser widely used in psychiatric treatment

• Naproxen, a painkiller and anti-inflammatory linked to increases in asthma incidence

• Phenytoin, an anticonvulsant that has been used to treat epilepsy

• Sulfamethoxazole, an antibiotic used against the Streptococcus bacteria, which is responsible for tonsillitis and other diseases

• TCEP, a reducing agent used in molecular biology

• Trimethoprim, another antibiotic

link to article: www.newscientist.com...

Of course the EPA has said that there is no cause of alarm and it is no big deal. The only thing that would be a concern is what happens with a fetus - when the mother drinks the water.

Christian Daughton of the EPA's National Exposure Research Laboratory says that neither this nor other recent water assessments give cause for health concern. "But several point to the potential for risk - especially for the fetus and those with severely compromised health."

Of course another EPA person has said "Too bad it is a fact of life" - nothing to be done about it.

Snyder says water utilities could make drinking water purer. But the costs of "extreme purification" - far beyond what is needed for safety alone - are huge in terms of increased energy usage and carbon footprint. Ultra-pure water might not even be safe, adds Snyder.

The widespread occurrence of pharmaceuticals and endocrine disruptors reflects improved detection techniques, rather than greater pollution, says Snyder. Contamination is a fact of modern life, he adds.

"As we continue to populate and aggregate, our wastes will certainly accumulate where we live," he says. "We as a species have decided to live a modern life, with pharmaceuticals, plastics, transportation - therefore we must accept that there will be a certain degree of contamination."

As they say, it may be a small amount, but drinking it constantly and lots of it, it seems would have to affect you in some manner or another.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
How many actually drink the water any more?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Actually revolt is tied to food and water, as in lack of, than anything else. Life is still good so why revolt? The magic number is when daily intake of food drops below 800 calories per person that revolt starts to take hold.

For the Brits and our earily Americans you can add tea

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

We all do. Your bottled water isn't found in a cave, conveniently pre-bottled. In most cases, it comes from the same tap your house water comes from, with only a filter between the tab and the bottle.

You go out, you order an Iced Tea, made with the water you don't drink. You order a Coke. Made with the water you don't drink. Etc. Etc. etc.

The only way to ensure you're drinking clean water, is to collect it yourself, which is slowly being addressed by the powers that be. For me here in Colorado Springs, it's actually illegal to collect rain water that falls on my property, and I have to pay a quarterly bill to a company called "Stormwater Enterprises" to manage the runoff. If I collect rain water from my roof, it's considered theft. Failure to pay Stormwater, or being caught collecting rain water results in a lien being placed on my house.

Sickening.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Well I was sort of aware of all that... my point was that the saying itself is kind of out-dated.

And if you splash someone with illegally gotten water... can they be charged with receiving stolen property?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Are you serious?

I have never heard of such a thing!

Wow, it is actually illegal to catch your own water?

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of being illegal.

I have a well, but am not connected to it, but I am going to try and become connected this summer. I know that the water companies says it is not legal to be connected to the public water and a water well at the same time, but not able to catch your own rain water? wow.

In the islands, that is the only water we had, - what we caught off our roof went into the cistern.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Soon, we the people will not be able to take a dump in the toilet without it costing us a fee of some kind. Tax and regulate everything like the communists tried to do in the Soviet Union. It failed there because the intrastructure to control the entire country did not exist. Here in the U.S. it's all in place. Almost every one is connected in some form. TV, Internet, Cell phones. Just need to brainwash the people into thinking they need a ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT.
This is what total gov't control is all about.
Sounds like a prison society to me.

Nikita Kruschev, past leader of communist Russia, said,"Russia does not have to destroy America with missles; America will destroy itself from within."

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Although I dislike agreeing with you on this, it's the truth.

The majority aren't intuitive or strong enough to see what's really going down.

It's going to have to get a lot worse before the revolution occurs.

I'm done trying to wake up people. Just stocking up, and enjoying the last days of society while observing all the warning signs.

Nothing to be done here. Carry along.

No reason to be disgusted with the people. Just foolish baboons that need to learn their lesson the hard way.

I control nobody but myself. I do so by being free in mind, and not worrying what others do or do not.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Cant be that much in there. I am allergic to ALL antibiotics. Sulfa being a very bad one and never had an allergic reaction to water.

Not saying it is not there, but not not enough to make enough difference to effect someone in such a profound way.

new topics

top topics

join