It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Think I found Meteor Rock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This mourning I was running on the beach like I do every mourning and stumbled upon a strange piece of rock. It is very light but metalic. How do I found out if it is space rock .

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Where's the picture? I would compare to any others that are typically found already. I found an iron nugget that looked like a nut at first, but on closer inspection, realized it was iron, even though it wasn't heavy. I'm assuminng that it's hollow. Some volcanic rock looks like a meteor and I guess in some way could have been. These I've found smell like sulfer and are a bluish gray. I also have some I would like to have a geologist or whomever look at.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Can you take a picture of it and post it here

Second Line ....

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti - Government

Silicon ore?

images.search.yahoo

Watch the oversized links, Please.

[edit on Tue Jan 13 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
rock
here are some pics sorry some of them arent the best

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ironjello

This is NOT a meteorite. Get the book "Rocks from space" by Norton. There is a list of real labs in the book. I can tell you that it's not a meteorite.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ironjello

I'm placing my bets on obsidian, actually. The growth is wrong but the fracture might be right.

Here, check out the ID key in the middle of this webpage:
www.rockhounds.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I've seen similar formations like this leftover from campfires. Parts of it remind me of clay or fired clay or a brick. I think it's earth based materials. Maybe it was from someones campfire on the beach.

99% are not according to a couple of sites. Checking with a magnet and heavy for it's size is another clue.

meteorite-identification.com...

[edit on 13-1-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Check this website out mate, its a checklist and may be interesting.

Meteorite

Also try to contact NASA and see if they will send an anaylizer out to investigate. I do not see why they wouldn't so you can get an accurate assessement.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It's unlikely to be a meteorite, and I would not count on anyone coming out to look at it, but if you check the following links, there is a collector who might analyze it for you if you send him a sample:
www.meteoritemarket.com...
meteorites.wustl.edu...

new topics

top topics

join