It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran thwarts CIA-backed regime change plot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Iran thwarts CIA-backed regime change plot

www.presstv.ir

Tehran has disbanded a CIA-backed network designed to orchestrate a 'Velvet Revolution' in the country, says a senior Iranian official.

Iran's Judiciary Spokesman, Alireza Jamshidi, said on Tuesday that authorities have arrested four Iranian nationals who were plotting a regime change at the behest of the Bush administration.

According to Jamshidi, the four were paid by the White House, the State Department and the CIA, to expand their network and topple the Iranian government -- irrespective of the Algiers Accord.

Under the 1981 treaty signed between the US and Iran, Washington is obliged to refrain from interfering in Iran's 'internal affairs'.

Washington, nevertheless, has not ceased its 'regime change' project in Iran and has reportedly appropriated more than $120 million to fund the initiative.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
www.poligazette.com
www.mohammadmossadegh.com
www.serendipity.li

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Indian treaty anyone?

Does it mean nothing that a treaty is signed?

Let's be honest - the US expects all others to abide by any treaty, but seems loathe to do the same.

This is just the latest in a long line of attempts to overthrow a democratically elected government to one which suits US purposes that little bit more.

Over the decades since the CIA was formed, interference in sovereign foreign nations internal affairs has become endemic.

Is it any wonder many hate the western nations - most notably the US and UK?

Is it any wonder that they view us with vast suspicion as we cast envious eyes at the resources they own which we want for ourselves?

Until this madness stops, the world will forever be a hotbed of violence as others resist interference into their affairs.

Ask yourself how a western government would react to this level of interference - then turn it around and put yourself in the shoes of those we are currently doing this to.

Therein lies the answer to any question of why mideast countries have a problem with certain western nations.

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

there's one little issue to deal with here:

Press TV is an English language international television news channel which is funded by the Iranian government, based in Tehran and broadcasts in English on a round-the-clock schedule

en.wikipedia.org...

It seems that they claim to be independent of the Iranian government but, from time to time, some published reports are a bit sketchy. Apparently, they have some experts claiming the holocaust didn't happen because it was "scientifically impossible."

I'd like to see this story printed on one source that can be relied upon to provide news that isn't directly or indirectly sponsored by the Iranian government.

Not that I'm saying it can't be true, just that it needs more than the Iranian government's word to be deemed worth discussing.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Oh we see bias from all media networks toward the countries they're based in.

BBC is pro Britain regardless of what Britain does.
FOX is pro Republican US, regardless of what the Republicans may do.
Russia Today is pro Republican, regardless of what happens.
Press TV is pro Iran, regardless of what they believe.

The list goes on and on and on...

I kind of expected Press TV to have a bias.

As for the US shoving their nose into other countries affairs again, not surprised either. They've been trying to do that to most countries in Central America, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, etc.
They usually get caught, but they always wind up convincing some other poor sap to try it again.

There's really not much wrong with the Iranian government system. It functions very similar to the parliamentary monarchy's of Canada, Britain, and Australia.
Sure, the currently elected party has a few odd concepts going, but that's who they voted for, and that's the point of democracy. If the US has a problem with it, too bad, the people voted.
Their backup government system can be thought of like the Governor General of parliaments in other countries.

Recently I've seen them keep quite the level head.
Many of their citizens want a fight with Israel, but their government has told them to calm down, starting a war is the last thing they want right now.

They've got quite the history of peace. They haven't stepped foot into another country since the old days of empires. I get the feeling they want to keep it that way.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I have looked around for the Algiers Declaration of 1981 and it pretty safe to say it was signed. Being that the article states that is a treaty, I have to ask if anyone knows whether the treaty was ratified by Congress? If not, then the US can meddle all it wants.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I've provided another link as well

on the subject of this, are we saying then that the BBC could also be considered untrustworthy because it is paid for by the british taxpayer, or that channel 4 in the UK should not be believed because they recieve public funding?

If this is not the case, then WHY should the BBC and C4 be considered valid, and Presstv not be?

An interesting question I think, and I look forwards to your answer.

That aside, I don't think this news could possibly come as a surprise to anyone - unless a person considers the CIA to be a paragon of virtue, which would be a little misguided at best.

[edit on 13/1/2009 by budski]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I have looked around for the Algiers Declaration of 1981 and it pretty safe to say it was signed. Being that the article states that is a treaty, I have to ask if anyone knows whether the treaty was ratified by Congress? If not, then the US can meddle all it wants.

Yes but really....SHOULD IT? Even if they only spent the $120 mil claimed thats $120 mil that can go to something useful here in the US.

We need to get the heck out of everyones business. What a bunch of arrogant pr!cks we are to believe we have to control every country or situation.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

presstv has little validity to it. much like fox was shunned for being a bush administration shill.

presstv is funded by the iranian gov't. a gov't that denies the holocaust, among other things. not exactly a trustworthy source of funds.

that said, your second link actually links to a cnn story
edition.cnn.com...
cnn is a bit more respectable than presstv but, again, the source is "iranian authorities."

I don't put much faith into the words of most politicians or governments, the Iranian regime is, somehow, even less trustworthy.

for what it's worth.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Less trustworthy than our own governments?

Any news on those WMD's yet?

I'm sure you take my point......

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I don't want to turn this thread into an debate over which government is the bigger liar.

Let's just say, in my eyes, our government is a notch above the iranian government.

all news that comes form a government source should be taken with a grain of salt the size of Texas

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

They've got quite the history of peace. They haven't stepped foot into another country since the old days of empires. I get the feeling they want to keep it that way.

It's too bad they are being prodded by the US to find an excuse to start something up, and they are made to be 'Iran bad' 'USA good'
I wish the US would pursue isolationism, that would eliminate the 'terrorist' problem to America pretty quickly.
The US should make an announcement.
'Please forgive us, we made mistakes, now we are minding our own business, we are keeping out of foreign affairs, leave us alone and we'll mind our own business'
'Thank you'

Actually it's too bad those easterners couldn't have caused a regime change in the US, too late now.
So, If the US breaks a treaty, what punishment do they get, if any?
What deterrent is there to a country like the United States?

It's just a worthless piece of paper.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Toadmund]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
If not, then the US can meddle all it wants.

And when planes fly into US landmarks I guess we can just sit back and laugh then right? Its seems whats good for the goose is only good for the gander when its convenient and agenda driven.

brill

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yeah, but it is very important to get back at the right perpetrators, and not use it as an excuse to start an invasion on a people that had no involvement.

But of course, if it was really not an inside job, would not one be led to believe that American interventionism may be just a bit of a reason a terrorist may resort to an attack of this magnitude?
It's not like the US is winning friends in some parts of the world.

The US government was/is/are asking for it.

Think about that.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Do you really believe that Iran does not try to meddle in our internal affairs? All countries meddle in each others affair, treaty or no treaty..friend or no friend. It is a part of the game they play.

There are people out there willing to attack the US for the smallest of reasons.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes every country works for whats best in the interest for itself,but not many try and force regime change on others.Both our countries are guilty for trying and doing that in the past(and not too distant past)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

In that case, please provide proof that Iran has tried to overthrow the government of the US.

Provide proof that Iran has succeeded in this and installed a puppet government as the US did to Iran.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Deny Ignorance is the moto of this website

i would suggest you do the same

Iran has never denied the jewish holocaust - only that the amount of people they claim to have been murdered isn`t what the israelies want you to believe

and remember the slav`s suffered more than the jews , and yet where is the hourly reminder of that? or the red army rapes/murders - a womens holocaust in 1944/1945 in germany 2million alone in 1 year - and yet where is the reminder of that?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
When are you guys going to realize that countries are no different than animals? It is the survival of the fittest. The top dogs rule and the rest get the crumbs. Nobody is saying that it is right, but that is just the way it is. If Iran really had the capabilities to overthrow our government, I don't think they would hesitate to do so.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Can you provide proof of this?

Before we started sticking our noses into their affirs we had no problems from them.

Unlike us, some countries just want to be left alone to live in peace.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This was a part of Restablishing the Shah as ruler of Iran, right? I bet Reza Pahlavi is really pissed that the CIA has screwd that up and Bush only has a week left.

Someone tell R.P. that he bet on the wrong horse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join