It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Outlawed Books of the Bible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Two part Question here.
1) Can someone tell me the Books they took out of the bible.
2)Now the Conspiracy part.. If some books are to be believed, then how can other books be taken out and not. An who made these decisions, Was this Political or Religious.
Also People who know these Outlawed books, Which ones do you deem Truthful.

Thanks for you time

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The History channel (.com) is airing a show on this very subject tonight. I have no information on the subject but i could probably give you a summary of the show tomorrow!

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yea actually, thats what brought the question to me, But The History Channel tends to be very one sided when it come to paranormal and Religous Stuff.

I figure perhaps some Religous Scholars on here would be able to give different points of view, But please join in tomorrow from what you learned. I will also be watching that

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
2 KINGS 22:8
"And Hiil-kiah, the high priest,said unto Shaphan, the scribe, I have found the book of the law in the house of the Lord. And Hil-kiah gave the book to Sha phan, and he read it."

NUMBERS 21:14
"Wherefore it is said in the BOOK OF THE WARS OF THE LORD, What He did in the Red Sea, and in the brooks of Arnon..."

JOSHUA10:13
"...Is this not written in the BOOK OF JASHER?"

I KINGS 11:41
"And the rest of the acts of Solomon, and all that he did, and his wisdom, are not written in the BOOK OF THE ACTS OF SOLOMON?"

1 CHRONICLES 29:29
"Now the acts of David the king, first and last, behold, they are written a BOOK OF SAMUEL THE SEER, and in the BOOK OF NATHAN THE PROPHET, and in the BOOK OF GAD THE SEER,.."

www.answering-christianity.com...

As far as the NT, the two most popular outlawed books is the Gospel of Thomas and the Gospel of Barnabus which I believe are the truest of all the gospels.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by aware
The History channel (.com) is airing a show on this very subject tonight. I have no information on the subject but i could probably give you a summary of the show tomorrow!

What time?

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Two part Question here.
1) Can someone tell me the Books they took out of the bible.
2)Now the Conspiracy part.. If some books are to be believed, then how can other books be taken out and not. An who made these decisions, Was this Political or Religious.
Also People who know these Outlawed books, Which ones do you deem Truthful.
Thanks for you time

The books weren't necessarily taken out. They just weren't added. The Bible was compiled from a mass of material.

Here is a link to some of the books which were excluded:

ccat.sas.upenn.edu...

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
From the History Channel:
8-10 PM
Banned from the Bible
In a 2-hour special, we scrutinize ancient writings that didn't "make the cut" in the battle to create a Christian Bible in the new religion's first few centuries. Biblical archaeologists and scholars examine why they were left out and if others might yet be found. Beginning with the little-known Life of Adam and Eve, we also peruse the Book of Jubilees, the Book of Enoch, the Gospel of Thomas, the Protevangelium of James, the Gospel of Mary, the Gospel of Nicodemus, and the Apocalypse of Peter.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
As to the "outlawed" books of the Bible that you speak of or mention, are you refering to the books of the Apocrypha?
These books as taught in many Religion 101 classes are called the "hidden books".

Here's a bit of information on this:

What is the Apocrypha?
The term "apocrypha" was coined by the fifth-century biblical scholar St. Jerome and refers to the biblical books included as part of the Septuagint (the Greek version of the Old Testament), but not included in the Hebrew Bible.

Several works ranging from the fourth century B.C.E. to New Testament times are considered apocryphal--including Judith, the Wisdom of Solomon, Tobit, Sirach (or Ecclesiasticus), Baruch, First and Second Maccabees, the two Books of Esdras, various additions to the Book of Esther (10:4-10), the Book of Daniel (3:24-90;13;14), and the Prayer of Manasseh.

The apocrypha have been variously included and omitted from bibles over the course of the centuries. Protestant churches generally exclude the apocrypha (though the King James version of 1611 included them). The Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches include all of the apocrypha (except for the books of Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh), but refer to them as "deuterocanonical" books. In this context, the term "apocrypha" generally refers to writings entirely outside of the biblical canon and not considered inspired (such as the Gospel of Thomas). These same books are referred to by Protestants as the "pseudoepigrapha."

What is the Apocrypha?

They are divided into Old Testament Apocrypha and New Testament Apocrypha:
Old Testament Apocrypha
New Testament Apocrypha

As to why the Apocrypha were left out or excluded from many Christian Bibles, this might help:
Christianity: history of the modern Bible

Note: The Jewish TaNaK (Torah, Neviim, and Kethuvim) still includes the Apocrypha.
I recommend a very good book to read in regards to this subject:
An Introduction to the Bible: A Journey Into Three Worlds (5th Edition)
Recommended Book

seekerof

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't know about Barnabus, but the Gospel of Thomas has been dated to at least 100 years after Christ's death (As in that was when it was written, not necessarily when it was compiled into one book like Paul's Letters). So I doubt it would be the most accurate

[Edited on 4-9-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The Apocrypha is only in the Catholic Bible as I recall from my Catholic days.

The Apocrypha is rejected by most Christians.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The books you are referring to are not outlawed, they are just not included in the "Official" book of the new testament. For over 400 years there were dozens of books floating around about the teachings of Jesus. Finally all the officials in the "Christian" church around the world got together and decided on the official "cannon" or new testament. They decided to take the accounts of the Deciples since they were the closest to Jesus (with the exception of the book of Hebrews which to this day the author remains unknown)
and made these accounts the official new testament. There are still many books that are out there such as the book of Thomas etc. This is kind of an over-simplification of how it all happened but I don't have a week to explain the historical account of how it all was put together. Search new testament or take a new testament religious class and you will be amazed at what you will find.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
But are there not alot of Books taken out of the Christian Bible that are from before Jesus. These I think are even more interesting. I defintly have some reading to do with some of the above info.

BTW I didnt call the outlawed, the Hstory Channel Called the the BANNED BOOKS OF THE BIBLE.

Try saying that 5 times fast

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
I don't know about Barnabus, but the Gospel of Thomas has been dated to at least 100 years after Christ's death (As in that was when it was written, not necessarily when it was compiled into one book like Paul's Letters). So I doubt it would be the most accurate

You give a good example with Paul's letters as it is thought that they are the earliest pieces of the New Testament. But what of the others? The Gospel of Thomas really isn't that old when compared to something like the Book of John (which according to some scholars dates well into the 2nd century). The other Books of the Apostles vary in date from 60AD to well into 100AD.

100 years really doesn't mean that Thomas can be discounted.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If they are not outlawed or banned, then why won't a new line of Bibles be released with all the books that are not in today's Bible?

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
If they are not outlawed or banned, then why won't a new line of Bibles be released with all the books that are not in today's Bible?

Quite simply because the Bible as it is now is the accepted edited version.
Most of the other books were banned, but now they are readily available to anyone who can be bothered to go and look them up.

Maybe in 50 or so years, some of the material may be added. But the Church views the Bible as it stands now as all that is needed. It does not concede that the Apocryphia will add anything new to their doctrine.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Here's why:

Some people would be surprised to learn that all of the older English Bibles, including the King James Version, contained the apocryphal writings. I have a reprint of the 1611 edition of the King James Version which includes the Apocrypha. Not only that, but the cross references employed in the 1611 also reference the Apocrypha along with Scripture. In 1629 the apocryphal books were first omitted from some editions of the King James Version, and in 1827 were excluded altogether. I do, however, own an 1873 family Bible (KJV) that contains the Apocrypha between the testaments. Why did King James include them in his version? The Church of England (1562) had said of the apocryphal books, The Church doth read them for example of life and instruction of manners, it doth not apply them to establish any doctrine. They were included because they were deemed valuable.

The Apocrypha And English Bibles

Here is a good chronology also:
History of the Bible

seekerof

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Seekerof.
I have about 5 or 6 different versions of the Bible, including a King James version. It should be noted that although some apocryphical writings are contained therein, not all of them are present.
As much as King James declared some books valuable to the doctrine, he declared even more as valueless.

I believe that although there is a definite conspiracy surrounding the exclusion of the apocrypha in later times, a large part of it's original exclusion was due to the fact that the recognised books were deemed easier to define.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I find it amusing and a little sad that men decide which supposedly divinely inspired works are to be included in "God's" Book.

This Biblical Editing is why I don't place very much credibility in it's contents being accurate, and why quoting scripture at me doesn't prove anything.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The show on the history channel said that they took them out because they mostly dealed with one on one interactions between specific "angels". If that is true, and angels are aliens, then there is where the whole alien cover up actually started. If you ask me.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
can anyone come up with a definitive list of all the excluded books of the bible? I have a few, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the lot, and the only old testament one I have is the book of Enoch, which I find fascinating. I'm really very interested in the covered up dogma and history of the christian faith. In my mind that's the only interesting part of the religion that remains, which makes it even more strange that it is excluded.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join