It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emerging Giants Russia, China, Brazil and India Looming Collapse 2009

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Russia Smashed by Oil Price Collapse

Never in modern history has the success or failure of a major emerging economy been so dependent on one single commodity! And never before has that commodity fallen so far and so fast as Russian crude oil!

Russia does have other resource and revenue sources. But in just the past six months, Urals crude, Russia's primary export blend, has plunged from a high of nearly $141 per barrel to a low of a meager $32.34 — a 77% crash that's pounded Russian stocks like a sledgehammer and sliced through the Russian economy like a serrated sickle.

The big dilemma: To balance its federal budget, Russia must get a minimum of $70 per barrel for its crude oil. But at $32 and change, it's getting less than HALF that amount. The entire country is losing money hand over fist.

No wonder Russia's stock market has plunged 72%, forcing 25 separate stock exchange shutdowns!

China Far More Vulnerable Than Expected

China's extraordinary expansion of the past decade fueled booms in global trade, commodities and emerging markets. It was a major growth engine that turbo-charged Australia, Brazil, Southeast Asia and even Japan.

Now, however, that engine is grinding to a screeching halt. Indeed, when historians look back to major pivot points of this global economic crisis, they will undoubtedly point to the abrupt end of China's boom.

Many of us assumed that because China's economy was growing so quickly — at a breakneck pace of 10% or more per year — it could easily afford to slow down by a few percentage points and still be in far better shape than most other economies.

But now I seriously question that theory. Indeed, more often than not, companies, industries and entire nations that enjoy the biggest booms are also vulnerable to some of the biggest busts. Instead of a mere slowdown, as many still seem to expect, China's economy could suffer a wholesale collapse.

India , also heavily dependent on foreign demand for its goods, is suffering its worst export slump in recent memory. Overseas shipments plunged 12.1% in October and another 9.9% in November, forcing companies like Tata Motors, India's biggest truck maker, and Hyundai Motor to cut output, fire workers and shut down factories.

Brazil , which was growing at a record pace until the third quarter, has suddenly frozen in its tracks. Much of the foreign money it counted on has vanished, leaving acute capital shortages in its wake. Auto sales have gone dead, leaving biggest-ever inventories of unsold cars. Credit, abundantly available just a few months ago, is now gone.

Japan has been slammed by its worst recession since World War II … with stock prices plunging to new 18-year lows … industrial output suffering the largest monthly drop since records were kept … Toyota reporting its first loss in 70 years … layoff victims filling tent parks … and worse.

www.marketoracle.co.uk...

Buckle your seatbelts folks, and keep all extremeties inside the vehicle while in motion...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
it's not looking good for the world this year, if the economic doom gets too bad we'll see a big war.

To tell how hard its going to hit different places i think you probably need to look at how opulent the society is and who's got the ore and oil reserves / factories.

maybe we'll get some shock science discovery or something which will solve all our problems, say -weren't robots going to be doing that?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Isn't interesting how on ATS you post a thread about how the USA is speeding towards colapse and you get 50 "Amen brother! Testify!" replies within a day... yet you post one about how other foreign countries are speeding towards and are currently in even worse shape and scarcely anyone responds. Like a handfull of us have been saying, the USA may in fact find ourselves in a pile of crap up to our necks with no rope to pull free, but the rest of the world may very well find themselves far over their heads in the same pile.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Like a handfull of us have been saying, the USA may in fact find ourselves in a pile of crap up to our necks with no rope to pull free, but the rest of the world may very well find themselves far over their heads in the same pile.

We can always start over.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Guess all us peasants can do is wait and see how the puppet masters move the chess pieces around. While all of who make an honest living continue to bail out the rich people who have suffered and lost so much.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Isn't interesting how on ATS you post a thread about how the USA is speeding towards colapse and you get 50 "Amen brother! Testify!" replies within a day... yet you post one about how other foreign countries are speeding towards and are currently in even worse shape and scarcely anyone responds. Like a handfull of us have been saying, the USA may in fact find ourselves in a pile of crap up to our necks with no rope to pull free, but the rest of the world may very well find themselves far over their heads in the same pile.

Amen to that brother!

It is good to point out that if America fails the rest of the world fails too. America is starting to fail, so the repercussion for the rest of the world are not looking so good at the moment - which could very well turn into a vicious cycle, especially since America depends on the world as much as the world depends on America.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grock

Amen to that brother!

It is good to point out that if America fails the rest of the world fails too. America is starting to fail, so the repercussion for the rest of the world are not looking so good at the moment - which could very well turn into a vicious cycle, especially since America depends on the world as much as the world depends on America.

This is what I have been trying to tell a friend of mine in Germany for years. There have been people from other countries gloating at the idea of the US falling, but like I told my friend, if the US falls, the world falls with it. That probably sounds arrogant, but it's not meant to be. We all need each other and we need to get rid of the real problem in the world and that is the ones who are in control of creating this mess for their own greedy benefit.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

There's a difference,

A good portion of blame rests on the United States for the state of this current 'pile of crap'

I think those who cheer on the collapse of the USA are sick of its leaders, and ignorant citizens declaring they are the kings of kings and that they can do no wrong.

Well, we are cheering it on because you can finally see your just as flawed as the little nations youve been manipulating and taking advantage of this past 70yrs

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Cheering on the collapse of The United States Of America>?
HA!!!

I think you need to let go of the hate. It will do you no good.

I have no problem stating that I am American, I couldnt be any more proud that this is my land, these are my people, my family, my friends.
You think for one second people like you who wish us harm makes me lose any sleep at night?
You know why I dont worry about America bashers? Cause all they do is hate on something they will never know, something they wish they had so bad , but would never publicly state in their own neighborhood; until that one late day when nobody is watching. Thats when they jump on the first boat they can find.
So take your 'hate America' crap out of here, we dont care. If you hate us so bad, THAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Spread the word to your fellow America haters as well. We really dont care if you hate us or not, and thats the truth.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
It's a case of "You Might Regret What You Wish For"

Everyone worldwide wanted to crush the Bush Administrations goals and make a fool of him and likewise the Goal of China and India and many others has been that it not be a uni polar world, the intention WAS to weaken America and it worked...

But sadly Bric won't be so heavy without our $ will it?

America will still end up in a good position, we are alone on this continent our neighbors are friends, Mexico and Canada

Ride out a depression locked for food or resources with aggressive neighbors connected by land... good luck.

In the end America will be in a depression, but a depression here is not so awful compared to other places...

Knocking the King off the Hill isn't a very good game to play with the planet.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

You must not of gotten the memo,

Posts are to reflect the topic, not the poster.

I merely stated that the reason people are cheering this on, is because they see that the United States GREED and globalistic approach is the reason everything turned backwards.

What was that old saying?

If the united states sneezes, the world catches a cold, which is the just case in terms of Russia, China, Brazil and India.

Not once did I speak of my 'hatred' for the US, I simply feel peoples anger TOWARDS the US is justified.

So grow up and debate the topic, not me!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Well, 'we' are cheering it on because you can finally see your just as flawed as the little nations youve been manipulating and taking advantage of this past 70yrs

Not once huh?
I think you might want to grow up yourself and take responsibility for your words. You are cheering on the collapse of the U.S yet you arent hating on us? I mean if I didnt hate someone, then I would never wish that they went through bad economical times ending in death, loss of property, hunger, and the list goes on. Why would you wish that on someone>? I wouldnt even wish that on my own enemies.

Its hard to have a "conversation" with someone that wishes you the worst.

Its funny, nowhere on the topic did it say America in it. But all of you haters out there always find a way to drag us into it. If you want to bash on America, then start a new thread called "Why I hate on America"
thanks.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

You must not of gotten the memo,

Posts are to reflect the topic,

Exactly lets get back to the topic and not America bashing.

Emerging Giants Russia, China, Brazil and India Looming Collapse 2009

[edit on 27-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I would have to agree with you Agitated .. the image of the US, especially in the Third World has been dismal for decades now. And within the past 8 years we managed to get most of the Western World to hate us as well. I do like to think it's our government and our foreign policies they hate though.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

After milling around the idea for a while, I've come to the self same conclusion...it's our policies and government cronyism that the world hates. Americans are a mixed lot (myself included), we come from all graces of this world and eventually we are born American. I.e. I'm first generation making a career for myself in the U.S. but my sister was born here, we all immigrated and went through all the bells and whistles to become citizens.

The simple fact that the U.S. is a melting pot of all ethnic people is what makes it great and why I'm certain it's our policies that have made us the #1 Enemy to most of the world. Personally, countries such as China and India are hurting because the U.S. was their main importer, hell the Worlds main importer. What people forgot was what will happen when the Worlds Consumer stops consuming and realizes that they were misled and just followed along like a lemming.

As someone said; the U.S. is in a Depression but we also have a very large plot of land, air and water to use, with all the necessary resources to survive. We, like many countries and people will rebuild but it'll take a lot of work and seriously a lot of growing up being done by the politicians in charge. That and probably the removal of I'd say all of the idiots currently making policy, Obama has to be given a chance, Tzipira Livni has had her chance..her and Netanyahu need to GTFO.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

A good portion of blame rests on the United States for the state of this current 'pile of crap'

I think those who cheer on the collapse of the USA are sick of its leaders, and ignorant citizens declaring they are the kings of kings and that they can do no wrong.

Well, we are cheering it on because you can finally see your just as flawed as the little nations youve been manipulating and taking advantage of this past 70yrs

Not once did I speak of my 'hatred' for the US, I simply feel peoples anger TOWARDS the US is justified.

So grow up and debate the topic

Anyway back to the OP it's just another example of how the free world’s economies are all tied in together and if The US sneezes everybody else catches a cold.

But not more than a few years ago this was supposedly no longer going to be the case with China and India and Russia growing by leaps and bounds just like Japan grew in the 70s and 80s and all the little Dragons in the 90s
pffft.

This gets lame after a while first everybody says the US is a failing crumbling Empire then they say the US is losing it's role of global leader but when the world’s economies goes down the tubes it's the US's fault

And when they need American troops oh well all is forgotten

The US and the West did not get to this position dominance by bowing down to 3rd world pressure or opinion of whom and what we are and what we should do next.
Oh well back to the drawing board aye?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Well said. And before any American's get their nickers in a knot about comments like it, just think about it for a second. Don't be all arrogant about it. Learn from it. You have to realise that the world sees you as arrogant. Don't get more arrogant, learn why the rest of the world thinks like that.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This is the way I see it...Ima tie this in with football so some of late ones out there understand what I am saying.

The Dallas Cowboys.(my fav team)
Well, anytime I tell someone I am a cowboys fan, they automatically start talkin ^%*&& about the cowboys. Want to know why? Cause they have always been Americas team. And no matter how much they love the game, they will always hate on the team, that is until we start winning more superbowls and people start getting on our bandwagon. Get it?

Same thing goes with how the countries of the non american world view us. They look at us as the Dallas Cowboys. They are the raiders, and no matter what we do, good and bad, they will always hate on us just because we are who we are and what we stand for. Theres no changing that.

So all that we can do, is still love our team, and still not care what the rest of them think about us, because in the end, it really doesnt matter what they think of us, their minds are already made up.

I know I will get bashed for bringing football into this, but it is what it is.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The big dilemma: To balance its federal budget, Russia must get a minimum of $70 per barrel for its crude oil. But at $32 and change, it's getting less than HALF that amount. The entire country is losing money hand over fist.

Indeed, more often than not, companies, industries and entire nations that enjoy the biggest booms are also vulnerable to some of the biggest busts. Instead of a mere slowdown, as many still seem to expect, China's economy could suffer a wholesale collapse.

Exports, which still represent two-fifths of the Chinese economy, are already sinking fast. And the domestic economy, much of which depends directly or indirectly on the revenues flowing from exports, is also beginning to sink.

Warning signs are everywhere: Stocks, down 60% just in the last 12 months; imports, down 17.9% in November alone; foreign investments to China, off 36.5% last year.

Everywhere from Argentina and Mexico to Australia, New Zealand and even the once-rich Middle East, the worldwide debt crisis, the bust in commodities and the sharp slowdown in global trade are transforming massive booms into instant recessions.

It's happening fast and it's accelerating. Government rescue programs aren't nearly enough to turn the tide. And it's another key reason you must approach 2009 with great caution.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
We are all interconnected so big suprise here about the big 4 having a little slump. It will be interesting to see how countries deal with this problem. Will they cooperate or will they go to war? War is the historical answer but we have never been so interconnected. A suprise would not suprise me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join