It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the facts really factual???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Are the facts really factual???

How can we believe anything in this whole world?? We may depend upon a source but how do u know its true?? NASA and other space associations may say anything they want to and we have to believe it. Do we have another option??

If someone says opposite to what these institutions say then we might feel them to be fools or ignorant people… but how do u know if we know better?? We simply rely upon others…

In science, we do have things which we have proof for a number of things but there are so many things that we just believe.. Like the things about neutron, protons, quarks……. We have not seen it……

I often hear people giving me the proof that Neil Armstrong was not the first person to go to the moon. Actually, the whole thing was filmed in a desert. The proof they give is that the flag in the video is moving due to wind and moon does not have a atmosphere (as per the most famous sources). So , I feel confused about whom to believe.

Even today, there are things are global warming and starting of ice-age which are as per sources happening right now…. But how can we believe them just because the scientists use a variety of proofs which go over the head of many people but ultimately prove their point of view..

There were people even in the 80’s and 70’s who said earth is going to end within 10 years.. What has happened till now??? NOTHING, but the rumors are still there just the date has been postponed…

In the world, where its so easy to fool the other person, how can we believe in anything? How can be the facts be believed if u do not have any measures to check them???? How can we believe the truth when it changes with time??? How??

NOTE: I am NOT trying to be totally hopeless and even I have to believe what these sources say. But simply I want to know from u people how can we check it ourselves… Don’t take it in a wrong way…

[edit on 13-1-2009 by 90% sure I am not alien!!]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   

proof

There is no such thing as proof. Proof is a mathematical concept. It does not apply to real life.

even I have to believe what these sources say.

That's not true. You don't have to believe anything.

I feel confused about whom to believe.

Why place your faith in others? Why not make your own decisions?

In science, we do have things which we have proof for a number of things

Why do you believe that?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
facts aren't facts

they are only the best guesses

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I agree with some of the sentiments expressed here.

A "fact" is; our best guess about a thing given the data we currently are able to gather about it.

"Facts" should always be held loosely in the mind, as technology or circumstances could very well prove a thing incorrect or "not factual" in the future. History is littered with "facts" that have not stood the test of time.

This doesnt mean we cannot use "facts" in our everyday life, of course we can. If a thing works for us, even though we may not know the actual reason why, it works for us.

I feel the mind should be remain open. Strongly held beliefs, and too rigid a take on what "knowledge" is shut the door to more, (and more accurate) information.

Kudos for asking the question. It shows your mind is open and functioning as intended.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I don't know.

Is the logic really logical?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Sorry for the small but the horrible mistake in the text... I meant I am NOT trying to be totally hopeless!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
the way i see it, it was fact that the earth was the center of the universe and now look. There are plenty of these examples i could use but don't have to, you know what i mean.

The point is "facts" change all the time based on our knowledge. Don't put too much trust into people who claim to be experts and have the facts, eventually they'll probably be proved wrong...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
On your point about science not necessarily being the truth:

The point of science is not to find the truth, in fact, the concept of science doesn't address or deal with truth at all. Look at the scientific method, truth is not a test.

Instead, the point of science is to find a model that works, i.e., accurately predicts and represents the real world.

Truth is for philosophers.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
A mathematical proof is done only once.
Can't say how anything else is resolved, things just roll on
from the start until put to a stop.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
If you're all up in a bunch about it, consider holding pyrrhonian skepticism as your position, and make nor defend any knowledge claims, instead deal only in appearances. You'll never be wrong.

new topics

top topics

join