It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Syria Smuggles Missiles and WMD to Sudan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Intelligence sources have discovered that Syria has been smuggling SCUD missiles and WMDs into Sudan on commercial airliners since January 2004. There seems to be concern in Damascus that the U.S. will target Syria next in searching for WMDs. Syria is has been previously under suspicion for receiving many of Iraq's weapons before the U.N. inspections were intensified in Iraq. Since Libya has revealed its weapons program, and Iran and North Korea have been stalling, Syria could very well be the next focus of the U.N. and the U.S. in the "Global War on Terror."

Washington Times
Western spy agencies say Damascus is smuggling missile and weapons of mass destruction components to Sudan so they won't be detected anywhere in Syria.
Since January 2004, Syrian President Bashar Assad has ordered shipments of Scud C and Scud D extended-range missiles as well as weapons components to be flown to warehouses in Khartoum, Middle East News Line reported Friday.
Intelligence sources said the Syrian shipments were placed on civilian airliners but authorized and directed by the Defense Ministry.

The situation in Israel is heating up as well, and if Hamas continues to operate out of Damascus, the U.S. could use this as a pretext for an inspections push. The U.S. has been putting pressure on Syria since May 2003 to cease assisting terrorist organizations, and to open itself up for U.N. inspections. Recently the U.S. was to implement a series of sanctions against Syria to pressure it to comply with U.S. demands, but Israel's killing of Sheikh Ahmad Yassin postponed the actions. The U.S. has slowed its pressure in light of the recent uprising in Iraq, but Syria must realize the seriousness of its situation. American tanks are a mere 250km (150 miles) from its capital, Damascus.

Other Sources:
BBC

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
bomb them... bomb the # out of them.
your choice sudan - wanna be a parking lot or a crater?

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I don't understand why this would surprise anyone. It was pretty obvious where the WMDs went when they smuggled them out of Iraq.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Oh, I'm sure of it, as the US/US media wouldn't lie to me.

I wonder if Syria got their Uranium from Africa?

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Be nice if a covert mission went in and something like an accidental fire happened at those warehouse's. I can imagine the news headline now. "Massive fire and explosions reported in Sudan, cause unknown"

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
inspect and send in the special forces. go with that one.

[Edited on 9-4-2004 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Actually, I think Syria is being given enough rope to hang themselves with. I think we (the US) has probably known for a while if the WMDs were there or not. I expect Syria is being watched VERY closely. They are screwed though. They are just another domino and they share a border with Israel.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This is why we are in Iraq right now. You people don't read, and when you do you believe every single word without doing your own research or asking any questions.

Where did this story come from?

Middle East News Line...

What is that?

An internet news site.

Here is the orginial article posted. The one from the Washington Times is a variation of a variation from UPI!!

link to story

They write one bit of info with no way to trace it or back it up then, bam, like that it's all over the internet and making it onto the Washington Times site and eventually ending up right here to our lovely site and prolly a few others like it so that the wit-less americans can make misinformed comments on it.

Here is a link where the Washington Times gets credit for the story...link

I bet some of you didn't even read the link...:bash:

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I'm failing to see your point Saphronia, unless your saying and implying that the Washington Times 'stole' the article from MENL, for which, you are mistaken? From the Washington Times article:

Middle East News Line reported Friday

and here:

....MENL said.

One posted on the 8th and one posted on the 9th.....seems that there is an obvious time differential, Saphronia?

Other than word usage variations, the articles are virtually saying the same thing. Again, please elaborate on what you are implying?
Thanks.

seekerof

[Edited on 9-4-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
are you saying they made up the story saphronia?

well since we already know that weapons are being smuggled and we know where they are going, we being such good spies and having excellent intelligence and all......it should be easy to perform a covert operation and get rid of the weapons as Phoenix posted earlier

we really don't need a war, incursion, another front on the war of terror to accomplish it....where are all the highly specialized covert agents when we need them?

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Let's look at another ATSNN article posted back in January that kind of backs this up...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

we really don't need a war, incursion, another front on the war of terror to accomplish it....where are all the highly specialized covert agents when we need them?

You think a small group can actually destroy every place where these people can have WMD?

You think that special forces are some sort of superman type that don't get killed or injured? Please....

Is not as easy as you may think. Movies are "movies," they normally do not portray what really happens in war, or in any military operation.

What in the world makes you think it is that easy to infiltrate an islamic terrorist organization? "Any" islamic terrorist organization...

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
ummm...i was being sarcastic to a point.. I don't expect a single rambo like hero to run in and destroy all the wmd's, but if we are so good at knowing exactly who has and is moving these wmds, why can we not work more towards alternative methods instead rushing to bomb another country. Isn't 10,000 iraqi civilians deaths, and 600 American deaths enough proof to show that war and bombing countries into shock and awe doesn't work.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
There are no WMD, exept in israel, raid them instead why dont ya? cause youre a nation of lemmings thats why

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
"The Jews control America and the Americans know it." -Ariel Sharon

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Ashlar....not effective, not appreciated.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Other than word usage variations, the articles are virtually saying the same thing. Again, please elaborate on what you are implying?

Seeker:
I wasn't implying anything. The thread is posted like truth, but the original article has no interviews--no quotes, not even from the un-named sources. The Washington Times gives it cred. when its from an obscure independant website. The reporter doesn't even cite the name of the intelligence agencies that they got the info from. I did a google and the only source of this information is the the article posted on the Mid East News Line website. I was looking for much more than that. If this is true there should be more info on it. This un-named sources crap is getting out of hand.

are you saying they made up the story saphronia?
...well since we already know that weapons are being smuggled....

Worldwatcher:
I'm not saying that the reporter is lying. I'm saying that there is no way to tell. The article is vauge and doesn't give much info besides that some agency somewhere in the west has info of WMD being smuggled by Syria into the Sudan. If this is true then, my goodness, praise Jesus! They found the WMD from Iraq. Why isn't everyone following this story? And why is the leak going to some un-named reporter at some obscure website? Info like this is for sale right? Seems they would have sold it and got a larger audience and more buzz which leads to more info. And why would the reporter even write an article with such half-ass info to begin with?

Valhall: I kinda already said my piece on that thread. The link wasn't about WMD from Syria to Sudan. Its about the ills of being a minority in living under a dictorship--no doubt--there's need for some democracy over there but we shouldn't pay for it unless there's real proof that the guys have the WMD and it threatens the US. I haven't seen any proof, so I'm still asking questions. Maybe it's all true...this article isn't proof of that though.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Well said, Valhall.

I have taken an instant dislike to Azzliar myself.

/\/ight\/\/ing

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Gee,

Do you think if the Americans kept their nose out of everyones business, terrorism would be happening against America? Your own foreign policy has brought it to you. You should thank your previous administrations for bringing terrorism to your front door. Your on this big war to get rid of WMDs. Maybe you should get rid of some of your own and the world would follow. But that would make too much sense. Instead why don't you develop more and add fuel to the fire.

America is one of the most dangerous Nations in the world. Why you might ask? Because you're so blinded by lies you can't see the daylight. Wake up people. War is a means to a political end and should only be used when all other resources have failed. But the U.S. likes to use it's military to solve everything. Well no wonder not too many people like you.

Stop trying to bend the rest of the world to U.S. demands. Your foreign policy already killed 3000+ on Sept. 11/01. How many more need to die before your government realizes it's errors.

Bush will bring an end to your liberty and possibly your lives.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightwing
Well said, Valhall.

I have taken an instant dislike to Azzliar myself.

/\/ight\/\/ing

What is it that i have said that made you dislike me?
I told you the truth and you hated me for it?

you are a pawn

top topics

<<   2 >>

join