It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists advertise on buses in Barcelona

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
I wasn't talking about just Spain, because someone else said they wanted to see this in America too.

This is a thread about SPANISH busses.
Typing about America is OFF TOPIC.

USA: 16.1% in 2007 described themselves as agnostic, atheist, or simply having no religion,

Source

Your claim is still BUNK even for the USA!

Both in the USA and Spain, atheists are a minority. That completely contradicts your claim. Remind me again, what was I reading wrong???

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bandaidctrl
I don't know what church's you've attended, but I've never seen anything like that written anywhere on church walls...and it's been awhile since I've been to church

Nor I - and that was my point. Religious slogans tend to be less upbeat.

Meadowfairy - I wholeheartedly agree with your view. Divisiveness is the issue and atheism v religion can be as divisive as Muslim v Christian. But what is the solution? Traditionally atheists have tended to keep their mouths shut while religious factions war with each other and those of no religious persuasion. I think it's quite understandable that once in a while they lose patience and gently promote the value of rational uncertainty.

To avoid taking sides I was tempted to say, as you do, that I am neither religious nor atheist, but decided this is nonsensical and dishonest.

It means "I am atheist", just as, "I am neither political nor apolitical" means "I am apolitical".

[edit on 13-1-2009 by EvilAxis]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ryckE
I am atheist and I love that idea, I hope to see that in the U.S. soon.

Second line to appease mods.

I'm an atheist, and I don't approve of this kind of evangelism.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I'm not sure how you can characterise "There's probably no God" as evangelistic. "There is no God" would be quite different.

That's the whole point of "probably" - it expresses uncertainty and is therefore emphatically NON-evangelistic.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilAxis

Evangelists also split hairs.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I've never been called an evangelist before - but I'm certainly willing to split hairs with you. Or, as I would say, choose words carefully.

The slogan does not evangelize but it is no doubt intended to proselytize, and I see nothing wrong with that. On the contrary, are we not both engaged right now in promoting our opinions?

I appreciate and enjoy the bus slogan while finding the evangelical atheism of Richard Dawkins objectionable.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Good. Hopefully this makes the nonreligious and closet atheists & agnostics feel like they aren't alone, there are others out there like them, and it's ok not to be religious.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Why would the existence of God mean you'd need to worry and not enjoy life anyway??

Unless you're defining God by some very limited old testement model, I'm bemused as to why you couldn't enjoy life without worrying.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cantwara
Unless you're defining God by some very limited old testement model, I'm bemused as to why you couldn't enjoy life without worrying.

Absolutely, but unfortunately those who are most forceful in promoting their faith tend to believe in doctrinaire deities and jealous gods whose inflexible strictures prove worrisome for themselves and everyone else.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Whats the fuss?
I think it should be applauded as some organised religious groups have had the
monopoly of 'noisily proseltysing about their opinions' for far too long.
I think this should be seen as a refreshing change and its only fair that in a well balanced and modern society we get to hear all the differing viewpoints (how else will people make informed decisions?).

Who knows, some people may decide to look into freethinking/atheism/agnosticism for themselves and not just allow themselves to be 'actively recruited' by religious extremists who,in reality ,only want people to mindlessly and unquestioningly acquiese to groupthink and conform to dogma and doctrine.

Good post

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join