It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists advertise on buses in Barcelona

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

www.news.com.au

ADS denying the existence of God have begun appearing on buses in Spain as part of a campaign inspired by a similar initiative that got underway earlier this month in Britain.

The ads on buses that service two routes in Barcelona, Spain's second-largest city, read: "There's probably no God. Stop worrying and enjoy your life" in Catalan.

They were paid for by the Catalan branch of Spain's Union for Atheists and Free Thinkers (UAL).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Cool. What a great initiative.

Churches are allowed to spin their propaganda wherever they like. They can enjoy tax-exempt status and erect buildings dedicated to their dogma. They can dominate entire TV channels with their preaching and recruiting.

It's about time that other valid viewpoints are being advertised. Some of it might even sink in, hopefully.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Amen. Over christmas in the state of washington an atheist organization succesfully lobied to gain the right to display an atheistic sign next to the manger dispaly at the state capitol. I love seeing people finally stepping up and saying "if we are to be indoctrinated with your beliefs, you can deal with the same concerning ours". What even better is, even though christians have been forcing their beliefs down everyone's throat since the inception of this country, they were all extrememly offended by the sign and protested (Usuccesfully) to get it removed. Oh, the hypocrissy.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Great idea huh?

there are a couple of on-going threads about it on here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I am atheist and I love that idea, I hope to see that in the U.S. soon.

Second line to appease mods.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

"There's probably no God. Stop worrying and enjoy your life"

er... Probably?

ok, who let the agnostics into the club?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Great idea huh?
there are a couple of on-going threads about it on here.

Yeah, fair enough. Although both of those threads are about London busses. This thread is breaking news about the busses in Spain. At least it's showing that the concept is spreading across the continent.

Either way, it's up to the Moderators if they want to move or lock this thread. I'm not in charge. I just posted about the Spanish busses after not finding another thread about them.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
it is absolutely stupid.

Churches advertise because people who don't believe in God are Atheists, and the churches want to convert them. Think about that.....Get my drift? They have somebody to advertise to.

Because there are two major types of people - Atheists or non-Atheists; and Atheists are probably the majority of overall population.

Atheists do not have anyone to advertise to, they are advertising to a bunch of people who are already atheists, because the religious people who read them are not going to 'convert' back to Atheism.

Why try to convert people to Atheism who are involved in religion and trying to better themselves following by morals of their believes/faith. If they just mind their own business it isn't going to bother you. I know that my faith has kept me from stealing before in desperate times. If I were Atheist, and believed I could get away with it I might have.

The wasted money could go to much better things to benefit humanity then this garbage. If you don't want to go to Church then don't go, its not a big deal.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
Because there are two major types of people - Atheists or non-Atheists; and Atheists are probably the majority of overall population.

Wow, really?

Have you got some data that supports that?

Source
Spain religiosity
Christianity   76%
Irreligion / others   19%
Islam   2.3%
Judaism   0.1%
Others   1.7%

I'd say that atheists in Spain are by far outnumbered by religious groups! No wonder they need the signs on the busses to try and do some reverse programming!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
My question is

How is the phrase "There probably is no God...so enjoy your life" going to educate and inform people?

What is it's purpose?

What I see is a phrase intended to spark animosity, not one that is informative or even positive for that matter.

If you wanted to do some reverse indoctrination why not add a little more information about what you are trying accomplish?

They are making these advertisements as if the whole world already accepts their views

I'd say atheists are just as guilty of trying to force their beliefs as other religions have been in the past.

-JR

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bandaidctrl
How is the phrase "There probably is no God...so enjoy your life" going to educate and inform people?
What is it's purpose?

It's far more informative than a bumper sticker that reads "Jesus Lives".

You don't expect an essay on the subject to be printed on the side of a bus, do you?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Of course I'm not asking for an essay, I never mentioned the need for anything longer than maybe a website you could go to

YOu yourself posted the stats, the majority of Spaniards follow some kind of religion or another so they probably have no idea what kind of message this advertisement is trying to portray

I only ask, who is this message aimed to? Is it anyone at all?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

www.news.com.au

"There's probably no God. Stop worrying and enjoy your life" in Catalan.

Hmmm catchy phrase.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
er... Probably?

ok, who let the agnostics into the club?

Without the "probably" they'd just be another bunch of biggotted fundamentalists.

Atheists do not have anyone to advertise to, they are advertising to a bunch of people who are already atheists, because the religious people who read them are not going to 'convert' back to Atheism.

Are all non-atheists beyond redemption? Surely there must be some open-minded ones?

Why try to convert people to Atheism who are involved in religion and trying to better themselves following by morals of their believes/faith. If they just mind their own business it isn't going to bother you.

If they did mind their own business, I agree, it wouldn't bother me.
I understand that as an atheist I will be condemned to eternity in hell but that won't stop me from trying to be a decent person in the meantime.

What is it's purpose?

To give those who have been indoctrinated all their lives pause for thought?

To amuse and encourage those who oppose religious dogma and the misery it engenders?

What I see is a phrase intended to spark animosity, not one that is informative or even positive for that matter.

"Enjoy your life" is as positive a sentiment as you'll find on a church wall.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by EvilAxis]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm neither athiest nor religious but i see when i read from both sides they are the same type of people with different outcomes.

No offence but i really wish that people could unite as one then to cause more segragation due to beliefs.

It is foul that both have to ruin the minds of people by being stubborn and ignorant.

Religious and athiest arent the only ones who have their beliefs. There are people out there with other beliefs who do not belong to any groups.

As a human looking from the outside in. Both the athiests and christians act the same.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilAxis

What is it's purpose?

To give those who have been indoctrinated all their lives pause for thought?

To amuse and encourage those who oppose religious dogma and the misery it engenders?

"Enjoy your life" is as positive a sentiment as you'll find on a church wall.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by EvilAxis]

I don't know what church's you've attended, but I've never seen anything like that written anywhere on church walls...and it's been awhile since I've been to church

*shrug* times are changing I guess

I see where the purpose comes in to play, thank you for being the only person to respond to that question

-JR

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Wow, really?

Have you got some data that supports that?

Source
Spain religiosity
Christianity   76%
Irreligion / others   19%
Islam   2.3%
Judaism   0.1%
Others   1.7%

I'd say that atheists in Spain are by far outnumbered by religious groups! No wonder they need the signs on the busses to try and do some reverse programming!

Those religions involve a god of somesort.
Your point proves nothing, except you can't read what I said.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Huh?

You claimed that the majority of the Spanish population are atheist.

I showed you figures which utterly prove you wrong and you accuse me of not being able to read what you wrote? Wow...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Huh?

You claimed that the majority of the Spanish population are atheist.

I showed you figures which utterly prove you wrong and you accuse me of not being able to read what you wrote? Wow...

I wasn't talking about just Spain, because someone else said they wanted to see this in America too.

Those numbers change, and I am still correct when I say Atheists have no one to advertise too.

sty

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth[/i ]
The wasted money could go to much better things to benefit humanity then this garbage.

Wasted? the money will go to the Bus company, helping out the public transport . Better public transport = less cars on the road , less polution etc.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join