It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Today... Well They Scare Me

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SailorinAZ
Yes, and the higher ups in these companies keep giving themselves raises and they cut the number of workers and pay the new workers minimum wage and pass on new expenses to the customers. So, you have all these pissed off, underpaid and overworked people providing customer service.

Yep, but I did want to add an interesting tidbit about a company I worked for named MBNA. The credit card company had a policy since day 1 that ANYONE that is not on the phone fielding customer service calls has to do so one day a month. This included accountants, human resources, law department, etc. For me, that's where I started so it wasn't a big deal, but you could always see those once-a-month folk sweat with the look of constant fear on their faces. We all had the training, that really wasn't the issue, it was the yelling and cursing customers that were the source of the fear. I really respected MBNA for that and other ethics policies. Bank of America bought them and 3/4 of the employees my state were severed from employment, me being one of them.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
I wonder what would've happened if you wagged your finger at the camera and said, "Bad camera! Don't you dare let yourself be dropped or spilled on again! There your go sir/ma'am, it shouldn't happen again."

ROFLMAO!!

Now I wish I was back at that repair shop to actually try that!! If I find myself working at a repair shop again I will definately remember that!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
How many of you know that on any given day there is only a 7 day supply of food in the grocery aisles?? If that doesn't scare the begeebers outta ya, I don't know what would....

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I am one of the ones you are talking about. Let me put it this way, if the person is nice about it, I say thank you and that I will check back later. However, some people are just so rude in their response with one of those I don't care attitude that I just see it as my job to put them in their place.

YOUR JOB to put people in their place??

What the world needs is a little more patience and "defusing." What it dosen't need is more "eye for an eye!"

Sometimes I feel like their are unseen forces which have humanity in a deadly rooster fight. What if we just all refused to play along?

[edit on 13-1-2009 by whatsup]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I've seen this quote "Your miscalculation in time does not mean an emergency in ours". You think its your time but its not. I hate it but i don't get mad i realize good help is hard to find.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
i have notice a serious change in people. i've been talking to friends who agree that people have turned quite nasty and skirting on the edge of mean.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
As many posters have recognized these outbursts are indeed usually misplaced aggression.

It comes from living in a heavily manipulated society - in a heavily manipulated world.

There are those, like myself, that can free the world of these things - but one of the trade offs would be less product choice.

A small price to pay for a near utopian civilization.

Keep your mind open for the benevolent leaders who may make themselves know before the coming singularity - look for their fruits - and be ready to support and sacrifice for their uplifting cause.

The alternative is to have the tyrants of this world take it all from you - so although the logical choice is clear - it is also your to make.

(I cannot be more clear about this here at ATS without being banned - no need to PM me with further inquiries - just know opportunity (and freedom) favors the prepared mind)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I agree with you, I've worked in retail and in news for the past 20 years and rudeness is the new manners thanks to tv and the Internet. People showed more social restraint back before the Net came along ad taught us how to be sarcastic bullies. I'm always horrified at how easily a lot of people threaten each other but they can't ask a simple question or make a polite request. I also suspect a lot of people are showing signs of organic brain damage from environmental pollution or food preservatives. To put it bluntly, a hell of a lot of people just don't seem to be able to function at any normal intellectual or psychological level in the past few years and it has nothing to do with stress or 9-11.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsup

Sorry but I have to defend this person. Most people will not stop once they get away with bullying behavior and it escalates. Sometimes you do need to put a person in their place to prevent worse issues, like actual violence which has been a workplace issue in almost every job I've worked. I've worked with the public for 20 years and believe me, once a person gets away with it once they will never, ever forget it or fail to bring it up when convenient. Or harass you at every given chance.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Yeah, I suppose you are right about that. I do the same thing, but I also sense when it's timely to defuse anger and aggression (because they are spreading like an epidemic in our world).

[edit on 13-1-2009 by whatsup]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SailorinAZ

I agree with you 100 %. And though I don't think it's my job to put people
in their place, . .sometimes you have to. Is the continuous dumbing-down
of service-oriented employees something we have to accept as final ?
Is it too much to expect them to count back change correctly ? So many
can not.
Is it okay for someone to cut in line in front of you at the movies ? At the
grocery check-out line ? Are we sheeple ?
To expect courtesy is a good thing. To return courtesy is a good thing.
Is saying something about rudeness bad ? Or are we constantly so worried
about shaking the tree that it never gets shook ?

( "I never knew there was a problem until somebody said something !" )

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

theendisnear69:

Maybe you just happen to be the first one that the customer can let loose on. I don't believe the issue is that the hot pockets are gone. That is just the opening the customer needs to let out all their fear and anger they are feeling at the moment. If they looked deeper they would see they are afraid about how the recession is getting worse and how the world in general is heading on a very dangerous path. However, it is not fair to you that you are the one who gets dumped on.

I too worry how we will all react when times really get bad and it's not hot pockets we will be worried about but just getting through the day. I hope we learn to depend upon each other and find strength and comfort in numbers.

Those of faith will find their strength in the Lord and also guidance. As long as they stay firm in their faith and their personal time with God. I believe Christians will be a source of comfort and help to each other and to unbelievers when things really get bad. We all need to have something to fall back on.

I believe that if we don't find a way to work together and help each other it will bring more pain and suffering that could be avoided if we just round up the wagons and circle them and find peace within.

I really don't know what will happen. None of us do, untill that time comes. But I have faith in my God and I know he will make a way. It may not be an easy path but he will never the less make a path.

I'm sorry for all the rambling. I do understand what you are saying and it will be a very terrible time indeed.

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Exactly! Instead of solving whatever problem causes their anger, they just redirect it to someone (or something) that has nothing to do with it.

I think that's why realityshows are such a hit. Just point and judge so you don't have to think about your own life

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet

There are those, like myself, that can free the world of these things - but one of the trade offs would be less product choice.

A small price to pay for a near utopian civilization.

Can we have goat sacrifices too? You can't have a utopian society without goat sacrifices... everyone knows that.

And why would anyone flip out on the poor stocking clerk? Do you think he's lying... and this is all part of his evil plan to achieve world domination through the hoarding of pepperoni HotPockets?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I don't think escalation is the solution. I cannot recall a situation where getting mad back provided a positive outcome. My mother was in a gift returns line after the holiday season. It was a long line, she and everyone in it were agitated by it. Ahead of her she saw one customer get quite upset at the customer service person, yelling, arms flailing, etc. By the time it was her turn, she noticed the slight frown on the person working as she busied with the receipts and computer as she called in monotone, "next" without even looking at her. My mother walked up, saying with sincerity, "Wow, it must take a lot of patience and skill to help out so many unhappy people returning things." The customer service person stopped, looked up, and smiled, "Thank you. Thank you very much." Her tone completely changed and it was evident she felt appreciated, "Now, what can I do for you?" At this point, I bet if my mother asked her to repave her driveway she would've more than gladly gone out and done it. Sometimes a word of appreciate for not only what people do but for who they are is all that's needed to make someone's bad day a good one.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

I'd say 'throwing a fit' because the store is out of hot pockets is a little extreme but, I'm actually guilty as hell when it comes to certain things. Fast food is one.

My pet peeve is that I become very difficult when the person in the drive through asks me if I want to 'upsize.' If I wanted to up-size, I would have said so. I suddenly become very interested in this 'up-sizing' thing, however. I ask them what all is involved, and how much more it costs. I ask which of the items is up-sized and by how much. When they tell me you get bigger fries and a coke, I ask "What about the hamburger."

I'm not rude, but just overly-interested in their suggestion. I make it a huge point to waste about 1 minute of their time, because, even though the management tells them they have to ask, I see it as my duty to waste their time, and lower the productivity of that resturaunt for that day.

After that, (my girlfriend is punching me the whole time,) I ask them "which one is it that is pictured on the menu?" and tell them "I want that one." (the one I ordered in the first place.)

If it were a fine resturaunt in New York, I'd expect the waiter to make suggestions. But its not. It's fast food. The reason I want fast food is because I'm in a hurry and I don't have time for fine dining. My mind, quite often, is a very busy place, too, and I'll eat fast food solely because I don't have to get hassled by attending waiters, and thus disrupting my thoughts.

I want to go to McDonalds, and use 6 words: "I want a number 2 combo," and be done with it. Some days I can't afford to give anyone more than 3 seconds attention, and I'm not even all that important of a person. I'm a med courier. I eat fast food cos its easy to order and it is usually prepared well enough that I don't have to even spare a thought while eating it.

If I have to eat fast food, the last thing I want to think about is, yeah, the fact that its fast food, and I'm not in a five star resturaunt.

So when I go into a fast food place, and someone starts playing 20 questions, making suggestion, and being all too helpful when I'm in a hurry, it reminds me that I have to basically eat crap because I don't make enough money to eat real food and thats not a very uplifting thought.

Shut up, tell the cook to prepare what I ordered, throw the stuff in a bag when its done and hand it to me, and LET ME GO! NO, I don't have any coupons, NO, I don't want to add cinnamon crispers to my order, NO, I don't want to try any new promotional menu items. NO, NO, NO, I don't want to spend extra money on any of this crap because thats what you are getting at anyway. STOP REMINDING ME I'M IN A FAST FOOD RESTURAUNT!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIEGE
Is it too much to expect them to count back change correctly ? So many
can not.

As someone who used to work in a convenience store, it isn't so much as a math issue as it is a switching gears issue. Most customers don't want you to stand there counting back the change. They want you to punch up a totaly, put in the money and hand back the change. They're in a hurry and sometimes take offense that you have to school them on how change works. You get into a rhythm, especially when it's busy. When there's a line and someone said, "wait, stop, count back change" then it's not only holding up others but also makes the person counting feel on the spot or embarrassed for not doing so before. It's hard to explain, but I can say I understand how this jacks up the flow of a cashier.

To expect courtesy is a good thing.

Be prepared to be disappointed then. Daily.

To return courtesy is a good thing.

Of course! Always give without expectation of receiving. That is the true nature of a gift.

Is saying something about rudeness bad ? Or are we constantly so worried
about shaking the tree that it never gets shook ?
( "I never knew there was a problem until somebody said something !" )

I agree something should be said, but constructive is preferred over destructive. I'm guilty of this myself. If I try to help and it's not working, I tend to become negative. It's a work in progress.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Ohh hey, since you work in a supermarket and we're kind of talking about the economy:
I've recently noticed SO MANY parents telling their children "No honey we can't have that" or "Just pick one" or "We can't afford it this week" in the supermarket.

I've never ever ever heard that before the past few months.

I'm 32 years old. I grew up in Southern New Mexico. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I was flat out told "no" or "you can only pick one" while in the grocery store with my mom. (Forget about the old man, his answer was always "no") I was not the Lone Ranger, either. Very, very rare was the kid who's parents could or would buy them whatever they asked for at the child's impulsive whim.

Those of you who are saying you've never heard this before and are pointing towards it as a sign of pending colapse and doom, how old are you? I might be able to understand your surprise if you grew up in the affluent late 90's or lived your whole lives in the Hamptons. But for anyone over the age of 25 who grew up in mainstream America (let alone rural America), I think we simply understand that there's a return to balance happening. A return to an era in which people actually have to budget and sometimes tell their kids "no." Not only because you may not be able to afford to buy them whatever they want for lunch or a stack of comic books every trip to the store, but also because it teaches the next generation about what it means to live within your means and budget for a household.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
What I really hate is this requirement for customer service people to castrate themselves before irate customers. It is one thing for a customer who hasn't been helped or has been wronged. But if we are out of stock of hot pockets and you're yelling at me, It's you who needs to be taught a lesson. I'm already a nice person and I'm willing to help a person out but not uncivilized, childish, nasty people. I wish i could very calmly say to them;

"Ma'am if you don't relax, i will tranquilize you."

Actually hot pockets sounds nice right now... hope they're in stock....BRB.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CVTman
I'd say 'throwing a fit' because the store is out of hot pockets is a little extreme but, I'm actually guilty as hell when it comes to certain things. Fast food is one.

I don't eat fast food (except Chik-Fil-A) because my order never comes out right.

My pet peeve is that I become very difficult when the person in the drive through asks me if I want to 'upsize.' If I wanted to up-size, I would have said so.

This is a corporate problem, not a representative problem. Some MBA in their marketing department said that by asking they'll increase sales because all the customer has to do is agree.

I suddenly become very interested in this 'up-sizing' thing, however. I ask them what all is involved, and how much more it costs. I ask which of the items is up-sized and by how much. When they tell me you get bigger fries and a coke, I ask "What about the hamburger."

This is art. It's been a long time since I really laughed on ATS. Thank you. Star based on this gem of a comment alone.

I'm not rude, but just overly-interested in their suggestion. I make it a huge point to waste about 1 minute of their time, because, even though the management tells them they have to ask, I see it as my duty to waste their time, and lower the productivity of that resturaunt for that day.

Surprisingly, 'red taping' does work with corporations but only if a lot of people are doing it. Businesses hate losing time.

After that, (my girlfriend is punching me the whole time,) I ask them "which one is it that is pictured on the menu?" and tell them "I want that one." (the one I ordered in the first place.)

Please be careful who you embarrass when they're with you. More often than not I don't like to go places with some friends and family because I know they'll make a scene :-/

Shut up, tell the cook to prepare what I ordered, throw the stuff in a bag when its done and hand it to me, and LET ME GO! NO, I don't have any coupons, NO, I don't want to add cinnamon crispers to my order, NO, I don't want to try any new promotional menu items. NO, NO, NO, I don't want to spend extra money on any of this crap because thats what you are getting at anyway. STOP REMINDING ME I'M IN A FAST FOOD RESTURAUNT!!!

This is what happens when you stack MBA suggestions. Reps can't make the change, managers don't communicate these things to regional directors else the regional director will think they 'can't handle it'. Best option would be to write a letter to the corporation, get your friends involved, start a website, hold protests, demonstration rallies, boycotts and then make a competing restaraunt that doesn't do these things. Hey, it could happen and it sounds like you have enough energy to make it happen
. Just tell me the name when you do, it sounds like a nice place to try out.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join