It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 stoned to death for adultery in Iran

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dracula23

There are plenty of cases of the "punishment not fitting the crime", and plenty of them in places other than Iran. Why don't you gripe about those?

It's the way they do things. Who do you think you are to tell them that the way they've been living for thousands of years is wrong because you don't feel the same way, or believe the same thing you do. Who's more wrong? The person who breaks their vows and cheats on their spouce? Or the legal system that upholds the consequences that were laid out PRIOR to the offense taking place.

The lesson here, is if you live in Iran, and want to "play the field", do it before you're married.

This specific scenario is nothing but an illustration of how much more importance their culture places on a persons word. Cheating on your spouse is punishable by stoning. If you're not willing to be buried in sand and have rocks chucked at your skull, keep it in your pants. End of story.

There's probably some alien race out there who vaporizes it's citizens when they're caught going 5 light years an hour over the galactic speed limit. If that's the way they do things, who are we to tell them it's wrong.

So you, my friend, give me a break. You're just like every other fanatic on the planet, trying to make everyone believe what you believe, live how you do, and see everything from your perspective, because yours is the only one that's right. You've been a member here for 3 whole days, and every one of your posts is nothing but hate propaganda against Muslims.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Exactly since when did we become the worlds ethics police?

Why should anybody think they should decide what other cultures should follow? Why follow outsiders version of morality?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
As for your argument maybe we should go back a few hundred years and torture people like in the crusades.

Better yet lets go back to the days of Germany when being Jewish was outlawed and punishable by gas chambers. Or maybe the days of slavery in America when being black was considered a lower form of humanity. These were the laws then also…

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Yup, Islam is so stuck in the past. I cannot believe they do not allow free-willed individuals to make love.

I think that question pretty much sums it up.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Or to put it another way when did organised religion become it?

What business is it of theirs to judge and condemn people they've never met?

They should be afforded 'absolutely no authority whatsoever' outside their respective temples of worship.
Too bad some countries have been foolish enough to let organised religion insinuate itself into government and law.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Karl I would agree with you but Iran was taken over from the Shaw by supporters of Ayatollah Khomeini and the Iranian government was set up by and answers to their religious leaders.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by SLAYER69

They should be afforded 'absolutely no authority whatsoever' outside their respective temples of worship.
Too bad some countries have been foolish enough to let organised religion insinuate itself into government and law.

Everyone has laws regardless of whether they are religious based or not, many are religious based even in western countries. Plenty of laws seem strange to me, for example you get the death penalty for drugs in much of south east asia and in the good old US a guy like Madoff can steal $50 billion and get treated better then most people who haven't broken the law. As strange as some laws might be to me I would prefer to live in any country with laws then one without them.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Tell that to Italy, France, and every other country that used to listen to the Pope

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Yup, Islam is so stuck in the past. I cannot believe they do not allow free-willed individuals to make love. After all, love conquers all. Iran needs more love and less stoning, I think.

Your right, they need to get the hell over their religion and have a big group orgy already.

They knew the law, and what would happen if Mr. Winkey went traveling.

Its not our place to tell other countries or religions how to live, rule, and judge.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jatsc
Tell that to Italy, France, and every other country that used to listen to the Pope

Yes,perhaps all the abrahamic sects/groups/cults are as bad as one another when it comes to attempting to impede progress and limit personal freedom.

“In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty; he is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.”
Thomas Jefferson

“All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.”
Thomas Paine

I don't know about Italy but France is now a secular nation (and all the better off for it).
Its also interesting that other countries who have dismissed organised religion like Sweden and Norway are the most progressive,well adjusted and well behaved societies of the lot.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Ask yourself: Why were those laws put into place?

Perhaps the Iranian people believe that married people shoudn't, I don't know, HAVE SEX WITH PEOPLE OTHER THAN THEIR SPOUSES?

Look at just the MONETARY burdens that adultery puts on our society.

How many cheating spouses would there be in America once 500 or 1,000 were stoned to death in the town square? You think the rate of cheating on spouses would go down, knowing that if you did so, you'd be killed? (Here's a hint: fear of death is, perhaps, one of the greatest motivators of human behavior).

How many less divorces would there be with such a law?
How many less broken homes would there be with such a law?
How many children WOULDN'T be born out-of-wedlock, but born in homes with two loving parents?
How many children being born to single mothers would be prevented?

HOW MUCH WOULD THE PREVENTION OF ALL OF THE ABOVE SAVE THE TAXPAYER IF SUCH LAWS WERE IN PLACE?

No matter what criticisms you can lay to those kinds of societies, they realize that the foundation of ALL societies lay on the family unit.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

I suspect your just attempting to justify abrahamic lore - which to my mind is one of the most sociopathic inventions of any religion.
I also suspect if it were up to some extremist christians we'd also be stoning and murdering adulterers here in the West.

Just why are certain religious people so obsessed with the sex lives of people they have never met?

Christian fundamentalism: the doctrine that there is an absolutely powerful, infinitely knowledgeable, universe spanning entity that is deeply and personally concerned about my sex life. ~Andrew Lias

To hear many religious people talk, one would think God created the torso, head, legs and arms, but the devil slapped on the genitals. ~Don Schrader

It is impossible to believe that the same God who permitted His own son to die a bachelor regards celibacy as an actual sin. ~H.L. Mencken

Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love. ~Butch Hancock

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
karl, those quotes cracked me up!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the laugh. Im emailing those to some friends of mine today.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Isn't it wonderful how peaceful and enlightened these other countries are compared to evil America.

I don't understand why conservatives don't see things the way us liberals see things. Everyone knows that America is evil and that Americans are ignorant and that other cultures and beliefs are so much more advanced then our own.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I like what jesus said he who is without sin cast your first stone no one could. because one way or another we all have done wrong. Did you know it all so say if you look at some one in a lustful way you commit adultry in your heart we are all sinners you cant deny that

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
karl, those quotes cracked me up!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the laugh. Im emailing those to some friends of mine today.

MrsDudara -you're welcome

Theres plenty more here - including the classics:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

"Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy".
H.L. Mencken

"Why should we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything about it, he shouldn't."
George Bernard Shaw

"There are three religious truths: 1) Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah. 2) Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith. 3) Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store or at Hooters".
Anon

"It is the test of a good religion whether you can joke about it".
G.K. Chesterton

As for keeping on track with the topic of the thread,I think this ones apt:

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction".
Blaise Pascal

<< 1   >>

join