It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hmmm Michelle Obama Resigns as VP and Position is Phased Out Upon Her Departure

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
In 2005 she was promoted to VP for Community and External affairs. Her salary just about tripled when she took this position. A position that never existed prior to her being promoted.

This promotion and massive salary increase certainly created a stir.

This story dated 1/9/2009 announces her resignation. Standard accolades.

Michelle Obama has resigned her leadership post at the University of Chicago Medical Center as she prepares to take on her new role at the White House as First Lady.

During the presidential campaign, she had been on leave as Vice President for Community and External Affairs at the Medical Center. "We are so very proud of Michelle personally, and we are very thankful for her professional accomplishments in creating and expanding the strategic vision for the Office of Community Affairs," said Dr. James Madara, CEO of the Medical Center.

This is where it gets interesting. She did such a great job but...

In light of her departure, Madara announced that the Medical Center's Office of Community and External Affairs has been reorganized under the leadership of Dr. Eric Whitaker, Executive Vice President for Strategic Affiliations and Associate Dean for Community Based Research.

That's right the newly created position has been eliminated. We all know why she got the job in the first place and this just confirms it. If it was such a critical position they would have a replacement for her.

news.uchicago.edu...

[edit on 12-1-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Just some background info. This is from 2006 story.

Officials at the University of Chicago Hospitals on Tuesday explained a large salary jump for Sen. Barack Obama’s wife shortly after he took office as a normal promotion that reflected expanded duties in her job as a liaison withthe South Side community surrounding the medical center. Michelle Obama was promoted to vice president for external affairs in March2005, two months after her husband took office in the Senate. According to a tax return released by the senator this week, the promotion nearly tripled her income from the hospitals from $121,910 in 2004 to $316,962 in 2005.

Right.... She is so good that she can't be replaced.

Riordan said Obama’s promotion had nothing to do with her husband becominga U.S. senator. “She was hired before Barack was Barack,” Riordan said. “She is worth her weight in gold, and she is just terrific.”

archives.chicagotribune.com...

[edit on 12-1-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It figures... She just needed to move on and help Barry implement all of those "Changes" that he spoke about while on the trail.

Hopefully, in light on recent coverage, the Obamabots have come to realize that there was nothing new and unique about barry before the election, nor will there be anything when he takes office. He comes from the same old, same old and will carry on the tradition of corrupt politics in the WH. I mean, how can he "Change" anything after the election, when he and his wife weren't willing to "Change" anything about politics before the election.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You aren't by any chance saying that they were a part of the Chicago pay to play club, are you?

Cause what you post sure do seem to indicate it and prove it.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think the more likely reason would be that she was well suited for the position at the time, but now that she's resigned and with the economy the way it is, it would just be easier to give the responsibilities to someone else already there then having to hire an entirely new person and have to write even more paychecks.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think it has to do with the crappy economy! Many businesses are restructuring. I don't see any reason this would arouse any questions. The medical field is one of the most stable places to have a job these days, but with more and more people loosing their jobs and their healthcare, I am sure it will soon suffer. I worked as a nurse for 10 yrs, and can tell you that when a healthcare institute restructures it starts at the top.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

"the promotion nearly tripled her income from the hospitals from $121,910 in 2004 to $316,962 in 2005."

What on God's green earth could your job duties entail, centered around External Affairs of a hospital that pays you over a quarter of a million dollars? If you were so valuable and indispensable why did they "do away" with the position?

Now with this having been said, please tell me how this woman can relate to the indigent people of America, that she so often toots her own horn about?

Give me a break!!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Quick, someone check ebay.

Must be nice to have VP on your resume..
Her underlings probably did her job for her, why else would they decide to do away with that position.
It seems they are retiring that position the way they retire a jersey for a sports athlete.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This is why Blago was silenced. There were plenty of kickbacks and appointments. Personally, I think someone approached him and he was taped talking to someone and was pissed that he was bieng pushed around. They quieted that to soon. guess it helps to have a Clinton or two in your corner....

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Just a thought:

We are in a major recession. Not sure if you guys have heard of that. Generally the medical field is fairly recession proof, and I'm sure they are doing fine, but even they are feeling the effects of the spiraling economy.

While most of the cuts are entry level and low wage employees, even the high-overhead upper management jobs are being completely phased out for the time being.

I'm not even sure how this is "news worthy" unless you have some real reason to believe something fishy is/was going on.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
You aren't by any chance saying that they were a part of the Chicago pay to play club, are you?

I would never insinuate such a thing.

The Obama's have never even heard of pay to play politics in Chicago.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

HOOOOLY cow,isn't this a fine kettle of fish, that is exactly what it looks like!!!

Not that any of us here are surprised.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Breaking News: An Employee Quits
and the Job Does Not Get Filled

That's weird, loses its effect when it's not mud aimed at a public figure.

[edit on 1/12/2009 by Irish M1ck]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
Just a thought:

We are in a major recession. Not sure if you guys have heard of that. Generally the medical field is fairly recession proof, and I'm sure they are doing fine, but even they are feeling the effects of the spiraling economy.

While most of the cuts are entry level and low wage employees, even the high-overhead upper management jobs are being completely phased out for the time being.

I'm not even sure how this is "news worthy" unless you have some real reason to believe something fishy is/was going on.

I am glad that you are so optimistic. However, this job was created out of thin air and it vanished just as fast as it was created.

Even in this economy hospitals are still giving signing bonuses to new hires in any number of different positions and skyrocketing insurance rates and govt. handouts keeps the VP's happy and the budgets in check. Losing Michelle's position and department would mean a loss of padding to the hospital budget. No exec. wants to lose a budget item.

The hospital hailed Michellle's work in her VP role as well as her role in her previous position. Why break up her hard work and the department that she so lovingly developed if it is so critical to the community.

Yes, I do believe something fishy is going on. Admittedly, when I first read the story I didn't think much of it. Then I remembered some of the controversy about the position and I wanted to find out who her successor would be. When I found the article from the University itself, it all made sense.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

Give me a break here. This is blatant. Blatant. They are trimming high paying jobs yes, but they are also killing the little man. Bottom line is in this economy she should not have been paid that to begin with.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Of course you do. You'd think something fishy was going on no matter what. It's funny, people have said "there's something fishy about that" in about every aspect of the Obama's lives, yet they never seem to get either one of them for any wrong doing.

Either the Obama's are being recklessly attacked, or they are the smoothers mother#*$#(#s ever. Ever.

And your claim that hospitals are doing better than ever is generalized and absolutely untrue.

Carolinas Healthcare System sues Wachovia

CHARLOTTE -- Carolinas Healthcare System has filed suit against Wachovia over securities investments the bank made on behalf of the hospital group.

Everyone is feeling the effects of this recession.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
reply to post by jibeho

Of course you do. You'd think something fishy was going on no matter what. It's funny, people have said "there's something fishy about that" in about every aspect of the Obama's lives, yet they never seem to get either one of them for any wrong doing.

Either the Obama's are being recklessly attacked, or they are the smoothers mother#*$#(#s ever. Ever.

And your claim that hospitals are doing better than ever is generalized and absolutely untrue.

Carolinas Healthcare System sues Wachovia

CHARLOTTE -- Carolinas Healthcare System has filed suit against Wachovia over securities investments the bank made on behalf of the hospital group.

Everyone is feeling the effects of this recession.

You mean Wachovia/Walkalloverya made some bad investments for one of the most top heavy Healthcare systems in the Carolinas. Who hasn't Wachovia screwed? I lived in Charlotte from 2001 through 2004 I know all about the system. Carolinas currently has 530 job openings. careers.carolinashealthcare.org...

Check out the bonuses this hospital is offering. I'm sure the recession is hurting them also. mdjobsite.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
OMG, mark the calendar folks, I actually have to agree with Irish M1ck on this one

The University of Chicago Medical Center Friday evening tonight confirmed a massive restructuring that will trim $100 million in expenses, or nearly 7 percent of its annual budget, amid the economic downturn and unpaid bills owed the hospital from the state Medicaid program for the poor.

Initially, the hospital is eliminating 15 senior executive jobs, including a position that had been held by incoming First Lady Michelle Obama, who had been vice president for community and external affairs for the medical center. Her duties will be taken over by Dr. Eric Whitaker, a friend of her husband, President-elect Barack Obama, and a long-time U. of C. Medical Center executive vice president for strategic affiliations and external affairs.

The hospital has yet to determine the scope of additional job reductions but said they would not affect medical care, nor the South Side community outreach launched by Michelle Obama. In addition, the hospital said it was forging ahead with plans to open a new $700 million hospital pavilion in 2012.
Source: Chicage Tribune

Recession induced cutbacks, starting with 15 senior executive positions. That's not just 1 job disappearing

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If there is some hard evidence that the Obama's used his new position as Senator to get his wife that job, then fine, that was wrong.

But until then, this isn't much of a story to me

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Good find!! However, I will still stand strong on my position that her former role as VP was created for her. The cutback is just a sham to protect Obama

University of Chicago is certainly bucking the national trend.

WASHINGTON - Employment at U.S. hospitals rose 0.25 percent in December 2008 to a seasonally adjusted 4,711,300 people, according to a report from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics last week. The report revealed that hospitals added 11,900 more jobs in December than in November 2008, and 138,900 more than a year ago.

www.healthcarefinancenews.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join