It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival w/ Family when TSHTF

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I've been slowly preparing for something like many of us here have been. What it is I am preparing for is an unknown. Like many here I just feel something is coming, I just don't know what it is. A meteor strike, NWO crackdown, zombie world takeover...whatever.

My concern is my family. My wife and two kids. I live in NYC (Brooklyn specifically), probably the worst place to be in an emergency. I have BOB's and a place to go but if I must fight my way there I am in trouble. My wife is smart (and tough) but my kids are too young to fight. My wife would fight to the death for her kids as would I. However, fighting the hordes may not be the smartest idea. No matter how good you are, if you are outnumbered eventually you will be overcome.

During the blackout a few years back the city dealt pretty calmly, but that was soon after 9/11 and I think most were just relieved it was only a blackout. If something more serious were to go down I'm not so sure it will be the same.

Also, in a conflict where open fighting may break out (marshall law, UN 'peacekeepers', etc) I would want to defend my country and constitution but my family would come first...No question... I can not help them If I am off somewhere else or dead.

So what are peoples thoughts on this issue and what do those of you with families and kids plan to do. We can all talk of stocking up and bugging out with our various equipment and weapons but when your 2 kids are scared to death, your wife is depending on you, and you have to escape a city of 9 million and make your way 100 miles to your 'safe zone', playing Rambo will only get you killed.

ps. Before someone says move, that isn't an option right now though I am working on it.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Primordial

Many are in preparations for the big event. It is the survival instinct taking hold, and it is a natural thing to prepare in the face of disaster. Non refrigerated foods, camping supplies, the means to start a fire, arms and ammunition, a plan for a quick get-away to the countryside or mountains, warm clothes, and the complete respect of small children so they will be quiet on command. I feel for you, being where you are, but escape is possible, if you are watchful, and act fast when the time comes. Be ready to fight for what you need, you may have to.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Get out of "Dodge" (any big city) at the first sign of big trouble. Many will party when the lights go out and not be concerned for about 48 hrs. That will be your window of opportunity to leave....unless the lights go out do to a nuclear attack or something. Best advice comes from the Boy Scouts:
Be Prepared.
PS If the "lights come back on" and TS Doesnt HTF just yet you can always come back...but if it does Hit then you are stuck in it....
Put your Family's safety First.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You won't make it out. Plan to hunker down unless conditions make motion absolutely necessary. When the kids are older you may have more movement. That being said if it is an event you can "get ahead" of (your inner paranoia switch being more sensitive than other persons) then you should be able to get in motion.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Do you really all not see that this website has completely destroyed the way you think? You've spent so much time here, reading mostly crackpot theories on the state of the world, that now you're even preparing for it?

This website had a hidden agenda as well. That was the scare the hell out of hundreds of idiots who come here to read theories and to make them afraid of nothing. It appears that it succeeded and now they are laughing at your ignorant fright. Nothing is happening; nothing is going to happen.

2012? Nothing will happen. The mayans believed that there were calendar cycles before their cycle, and there will be one afterwards. There is absolutely no evidence that they thought anything catastrophic would happen. That is complete slandor that has come from the mouth of ignorant people.

The government isn't planning to kill 80% of the population or anything of the sort for a NWO. Do you not see, though, that a one world government would absolutely shoot humanity into an entirely new level of existence? Instead of fighting with ourselves, we can finally explore the cosmos in huge proportions. The world will undergo population shifts and declines naturally overtime. Now that there are more people, it seems like something bad everytime that something happens.

Stop worrying yourselves to death. Stop "preparing" for this thing that is happening. You won't have to run, you won't have to hide. Nothing will happen.

Good Day!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
boy scout motto ,be prepared. its better to have it and not need it ,than need it and not have it.

take care

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarathustria

Thus spoke Zarathustria.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarathustria
Do you really all not see that this website has completely destroyed the way you think? You've spent so much time here, reading mostly crackpot theories on the state of the world, that now you're even preparing for it?

This website had a hidden agenda as well. That was the scare the hell out of hundreds of idiots who come here to read theories and to make them afraid of nothing. It appears that it succeeded and now they are laughing at your ignorant fright. Nothing is happening; nothing is going to happen.

2012? Nothing will happen. The mayans believed that there were calendar cycles before their cycle, and there will be one afterwards. There is absolutely no evidence that they thought anything catastrophic would happen. That is complete slandor that has come from the mouth of ignorant people.

The government isn't planning to kill 80% of the population or anything of the sort for a NWO. Do you not see, though, that a one world government would absolutely shoot humanity into an entirely new level of existence? Instead of fighting with ourselves, we can finally explore the cosmos in huge proportions. The world will undergo population shifts and declines naturally overtime. Now that there are more people, it seems like something bad everytime that something happens.

Stop worrying yourselves to death. Stop "preparing" for this thing that is happening. You won't have to run, you won't have to hide. Nothing will happen.

Good Day!

Before 911 it is thought that less than 100 people who worked in the WTC facilities owned or had access to BOBs or basic emergy get home kits, some did not even keep a pair of sensible walking shoes. Now there are thousands of Manhattan workers who go nowhere without their EDC and BOB kits

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Good Day!

Reading and understanding is plainly very difficult for yourself, May I suggest you take this post over to the 2012 forum and post there where it belongs, just look at the top of the page and in big bold letter it says 2012, click on it and it will take you to where you can spout off your god given knowledge . This forum is about mainstream preparedness survivalism, such as surviving storms, disasters, terror attacks, power cuts, etc

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I like your P.S. At the very least you have begun making plans to get out of the city, I commend you for that.

I dont have children, but if I did, this is what I was thinking. First, since you are in a city, find a place either at or close to ground level. Yes, those will be the first hit, but if you are on the 63rd floor of a high-rise, getting out of there ever will become a huge issue.

Plan to bug in, as getting out of a major metro area will be hard enough alone, not to mention with children. There are some good threads on here about bugging in. Keep your food, water, etc... hidden whereever you can, dont let anyone know what you have.

Being in NY the concept of a firearm could be difficult, but find some way to arm yourself, teach your wife how to use it as well.

Kids will be tricky when the power and water go down, they dont understand what is going on. Keep things around to keep them occupied (read, quiet) such as board games, lincoln logs, etc... A screaming child will immediately tell others where you are.

Those are ideas if you are trapped in the city, not an enviable place to be with a family.

Other ideas involve getting out sooner. Do you know anyone outside of the city? Maybe even a more advantagous area to where you are now. Maybe some land, or at minimum a house in the suberbs that you trust with your life? If so, plan an evac route. 2 electric scooters in your home could transport two adults and two children and would be able to manuver through traffic. Yes, they would need recharging, but if you were safe and they were dead, who cares?

Anyways, best of luck to you, and ignore the naysayer in this tread, its always best to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloman Kane
boy scout motto ,be prepared. its better to have it and not need it ,than need it and not have it.

take care

Yes, I live in Norway, and this is a winterland,but we have 5-10 degrees here in january,not normal at all, and yesterday a church caught fire from an lighting strike.That should not be possible at all..
So something is up, I see it on the weather,Ive been living here all my life and the sky is not as it used to be at all......

Nothing wrong in being prepared....IF disaster comes, the ones not doing anything for them selfs or their familys are the ones you should be aware off as they will take your supplies.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

This is the same problem I face. The only true way to be prepared is acreage and set up your own utilities. I know this is a problem you face as do I. I have been trying to get out of this *snip* hole (Queens,NY) for years.Unfortunately they have it designed so that us middle class who actually build/pay for evrything, and are actually the ones to keep society running, can't get ahead. Economic slaves.

The only advice I can give is that in the actaul event Be as prepared as possible with supplies and follow your intuition, 7th sense,gut feeling or as I like to say, Holy Spirit. You can go over scenarios in your head millions of times but each scenario will always play out different when one simple person or evnt will ultimately change it everytime. So technically you can't plan it, only be aware of your everything and everyone. That is what will keep you alive.I wouldn't worry as much as do your homework. Regardless of what happens, it's all in God's hands.

Zarathustria....

I have been this way since I was a kid before the web even existed. It's called instinct and survival. Unforunately they have YOU and most of society domesticated and trained. They taken away from you what nature took centuries to evolve. Your survival instinct. You're nothing more than a trained domesticated puppet waiting for the masters hand to feed them.

Zarathustria...

This is the exact same menatality which allowed 9/11 to happen. Everyone in their naive little America believing nothing can/will happen. Yet me and my brother always talked about these scenarios and people thought we were nuts. Ironic how they caught us (America the Super Power) w/our pants down.Won't be getting me though.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that many of the Idiots you're referring to will be stepping over your dead carcass after these evntual events definately unfold.I would hope not though I would rather you survive and realize just how wrong and naive they made you in your blind little existence as you stand there in disbelief.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Primordial
I've been slowly preparing for something like many of us here have been. What it is I am preparing for is an unknown. Like many here I just feel something is coming, I just don't know what it is. A meteor strike, NWO crackdown, zombie world takeover...whatever.

My concern is my family. My wife and two kids. I live in NYC (Brooklyn specifically), probably the worst place to be in an emergency. I have BOB's and a place to go but if I must fight my way there I am in trouble. My wife is smart (and tough) but my kids are too young to fight. My wife would fight to the death for her kids as would I. However, fighting the hordes may not be the smartest idea. No matter how good you are, if you are outnumbered eventually you will be overcome.

During the blackout a few years back the city dealt pretty calmly, but that was soon after 9/11 and I think most were just relieved it was only a blackout. If something more serious were to go down I'm not so sure it will be the same.

Also, in a conflict where open fighting may break out (marshall law, UN 'peacekeepers', etc) I would want to defend my country and constitution but my family would come first...No question... I can not help them If I am off somewhere else or dead.

So what are peoples thoughts on this issue and what do those of you with families and kids plan to do. We can all talk of stocking up and bugging out with our various equipment and weapons but when your 2 kids are scared to death, your wife is depending on you, and you have to escape a city of 9 million and make your way 100 miles to your 'safe zone', playing Rambo will only get you killed.

ps. Before someone says move, that isn't an option right now though I am working on it.

Well if you wont use sense and move out now you will have to knuckle down and study. Firstly you need a reliable system of getting your wife and kids back home FAST from school / work should something like 911 or whatever happen again. Secondly you need to get the absolute best available maps you can showing the road network, rail network, subway network, waterway and canal, sewer and water pipeline, electricty pylon routes, cycle ways, walk ways and bridle ways. Now using this collection of maps you need to plot at least four viable routes out of the city preferably not using the main roads and streets ( leave them for the panic stricken herds of sheeple) You need to be able to navigate at night, along the chosen routes . You may find simply following a RR track will take you out of town, or following the power line towers, over even using a storm drain. And while you find your low profile stealthy ways out of town you also nered to build up a cache of food, water, heat, light, clothing, tools, medical supplies etc to sustain you for at least a few weeks( you may have to lay low at home for a few weeks until the panicked crowded have settled down and you can sneak out quietly. theres one family in Queen who wrote an article a few years ago have got an 18 ft inflatable boat in his rear yard with a 100 Hp Yamaha outboard plus oars plus lifejackets plus clothing and BOBs for each member of the family. they live only a few hundred yards from the river, and he plans on using the river to get out of the city If TSHTF.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

So the wars the NWO start that kill us are really to save us so that we may explore the cosmos?

The chemicals in our air and in our food that kill us, are there to help us become stronger?

The children they sacrifice serve what purpose then?

Go back to your masters and tell them we are coming for them and we we get them they are going to wish they have never been born.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Many posters have said it correctly. I don't know how old your kids are but I break my wife/kids in on these little basic instincts and scenarios that society is trying to deprive them of. Slowly training them now will make them capable in actual events. They won't be so shell shocked when the time comes. As a matter of fact they may even aid you in certain circumstances.My wife used to think I was off my cracker until she stared to see and understand. I guess you can say the training is paying off. She's had her little awakening.

[edit on 12/1/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Hey thats fine with me,
I will prepare and if nothing happens then laugh at me.

If something does happen, please don't expect me to help you out.
Maybe many of the 2012 theories will never happen, but it's not to say that it never ever will.

I will sit over here quietly preparing until the day where I may need to look after myself.

Enjoy your life.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Zarathustria..........I gues not too many people share his belief

I guess one thing is true. centuries of societies domestication of a majority of human animals has been a success.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Instead of getting that second not needed vehicle or LCD/Plasma TV check into getting ready to hunker down.

For under 10K everything your family needs for a year or more.

Or with some land and a kitup you can get one of these bunkers.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation
Zarathustria..........I gues not too many people share his belief

I guess one thing is true. centuries of societies domestication of a majority of human animals has been a success.

2012 may not and probbly will not happen (thats my belief) BUT you can be 100% sure their will be more storms, floods, ice storms, perfect storms, hurricanes, Tsunamis, Large scale power failures, riots, civil unrest, acts of terror, plane crashes, blizzards, hazchem incidents, mass shootings, quakes, mudslides, firestorms, mega vehicle pile ups, food or fuel shortages, droughts, pandemics, epidemics, crime waves etc etc for us deal with. And you can be sure there is still plenty of pure evil people around from Saddams and Quaddafis to Khomanies, To Bush's and Blairs, Binladens, Putins etc to bugger up thr world for decent people. It is those events and those people we strive to prepare for.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Being prepared for emergencies doesn't necessarily mean stocking up for the end of the world. I don't have 2 years worth of MRE's nor do I have 10,000 rounds of .223. I do however have extra clothes for me and my family, communications, basic camping and survival equipment, etc... and a place to go outside of the city. My problem is not 'survivng'. Left to our own we would be just fine. My real concern is the 9 million people within a couple of miles of me who are not prepared and are prone to .... how should I say...cause mischief...

Also, NYC is a major target. We have a fault line running right through Manhattan. For those not familiar with the geography of the area, Brooklyn is part of long island, making travel limited to a few bridges and tunnels to get out. We are crammed with people so any biological threat, natural or man made would spread like crazy.. not to mention our infrastructure is old and crappy so power outages happen from time to time.

Thanks for the replies everyone...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join