It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody else into Board Games here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I know they are "low tech", but often, you just can't beat the interaction with real live human beings....

Anyhoo....if so, what are some of your favorites? (and card games)

Personally, I like:

RuneBound
Zombies!!!
Arkham Horror
Touch of Evil
Munchkin
MunchkinQuest

and of course some more "normal" ones like:

Cranium
Pictionary
Apples to Apples
Balderdash

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Definitely,

It's much more interactive.

Easier to sneak an extra house on Mayfair when your opponent's not looking too.

The only games I never got to play was Dungeons and Dragons ... and Risk.
Everyone else was starting to drift onto their Spectrums or Amigas by then.
Yaboosux.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Risk takes a long time, hehe...although Castle Risk is quicker...(just Europe, pretty much)....

Been a long-time D&D geek myself, and still enjoy it occassionally. Of course, these days, my buddies are all married, and most have kids, so it's pretty rare we can schedule a gaming session free of distractions...

There are some D&D based video games that could give you somewhat of a feel for it, although nothing beats a real-live game with your buddies....

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Not exactly a board game but I used to be addicted to subbuteo.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Board Games

Settlers of Catan
Scrabble
Shadows over Camelot
Pirate's Cove
Chess

HeroScape is great, too, but it's probably considered a miniatures game or something rather than a board game. I just mention that one because Shadows/Pirates/Heroscape are three that I often play at my cousin's house when I go over there.

Card Games
-pretty much any CCG, such as Magic, Netrunner, Spellfire, etc (those are the 3 I actually own)
-I like Bridge or most of those whist-like trick-taking games, but I find bridge the most intellectually challenging of them.
-Uno can be a blast, a good one to play with young kids

There's probably tons more, but that's what comes to mind in five minutes.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I kinda want one of these ..

www.aip.org...

though, it seems like a bit much but you wouldn't have to worry about someone trying sneak an extra house on Mayfair when your opponent's not looking hehe

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Stratego and Monopoly! Me and my family like too play monopoly every now and then. But its more fun with my friends/gf/bf since we get really competetive, throw houses and hotels, fight, gets pretty violent lol.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Please don't laugh but I have fond memories of playing Snakes and Ladders and Rummy with my Grandmother. I also loved it when my parents had their friends over and they got a little tipsy and played Stock Ticker. That may be where I learned to swear.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Balderdash is too funny.
Risk is cool but I haven't played it in a long time.
I don't mind board games but they only ever come out on special occasions.
I was playing balderdash this xmas with family (not just immediate family).

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I love Balderdash...but apparently, I'm a pretty good BS artist, as I've won nearly 99% of the time my friends and I play it...

Sometimes, I even start to throw the game a bit, to let another win, but then they catch on, and want me to actually play... Due to all of this, we rarely play it much these days...

It is great fun though, just to hear what everyone comes up with. I could care less who won or lost it....

Hint for any players....the weirdest thing you come up with will often get the most votes...and movie plots are rarely related to the title... For names, inventors of oddball items and Olympics champs are good (just remember the four year pattern for year)...

new topics

top topics

join