It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush won't make bailout request unless Obama asks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Bush won't make bailout request unless Obama asks

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – President George W. Bush says he's told President-elect Barack Obama that he'd be willing to ask for the additional $350 billion in financial industry bailout money, if Obama thinks that should happen while Bush is still in office.

But the president said Monday that Obama hasn't asked him to make the request, and that Bush doesn't intend to do so unless his successor specifically asks for it.

The Bush administration and Obama have both been appealing to uneasy lawmakers for the money.

Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd says he's been told the Obama team will be providing "specifics" on how the money will be disbursed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
That whole news item smells like the crap in my cat's litterbox. What the hell- Bush now is gonna play 'Mother may I'? I never heard of such games in all my life. But I will say this- it looks an awful like That *snipping, braying* hole is going to be pulling Obama's strings.....

I get this awful, creeping feeling we're not going to be rid of Bush. He's going to stay behind the scenes every step of the way....

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

I'm thinking the opposite. I think it speaks well of Bush that he's considering Obama's plans for the transition and doesn't want to interfere. I think he's leaving it up to him.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I didn't know what to think of that, to be honest. But I lean toward the "I'm not going to do a damn thing for you unless you show your respect by coming to me on your knees" option. It's TOTALLY unlike him to do something for the good of the country. This is for his own personal satisfaction and to feel once again his dying power.

As far as Obama's strings being pulled... I don't think so. If he wants the money, he'll ask. If he thinks it would be best to wait, he'll wait. He's not going to start jumping for Bush now...

I think Bush is going to run, not walk, away from this situation as fast as possible.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I think Bush is looking for a scapegoat before he leaves office. It's a double edged sword. When Obama is President, and Obama says yes to this agreement, the blame for the economy getting worse would go towards Obama's decision, and if he says no and the economy gets worse, the blame will go to Obama for not making a decision to "help" the businesses.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush has asked Congress to release the remaining $350 billion intended to help the nation deal with its financial crisis, the White House said Monday.

White House press secretary Dana Perino said Bush acted on a request of President-elect Barack Obama. She said the Bush White House will continue working with Obama's transition team and with Congress on how best to proceed on the release of the money.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Its a last minute, 11th hour "take the money and run" effort. Obviously no one has learned what happend after the last bailout. Are there jobs recovered? Are there mortgages recovered? Are there new industries and jobs that go with them created?

Nope. The only thing tha happend was the fat cat's pocket books got even fatter, and now they want more while the current crook admin is still in power so that they can squeeze more blood from the turnip (sheeple) before time runs out.

BTW, the bill for the first payment on the last bailout has yet to be mailed. Perhaps it will come with everyone's W2.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Its a last minute, 11th hour "take the money and run" effort. Obviously no one has learned what happend after the last bailout.

Are you paying attention? This IS the "last bailout".

Are there jobs recovered? Are there mortgages recovered? Are there new industries and jobs that go with them created?

You agree with Obama, it seems:

MSNBC

"The president-elect also shares the frustration of the American people that we have seen too little effect from this rescue plan on jobs, incomes, and the ability of responsible homeowners to stay in their homes," Summers wrote. "He believes the American people are right to be angry with the way this plan has been implemented."
The letter spells out how Obama intends to use the Troubled Asset Relief Program to help community banks, small businesses, consumers and homeowners as well as large financial institutions. He also specified that Obama intends to launch a "sweeping effort" to mitigate foreclosures.

Yeah, Bush totally screwed up and let Paulson hand it out to the CEOs without oversight.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by turbokid

WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush has asked Congress to release the remaining $350 billion intended to help the nation deal with its financial crisis, the White House said Monday.

White House press secretary Dana Perino said Bush acted on a request of President-elect Barack Obama. She said the Bush White House will continue working with Obama's transition team and with Congress on how best to proceed on the release of the money.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

But obama did ask Bush to release the funds so he'd have something to work with. This makes all your 'Bush is bad' conspiracy arguments moot (in this case).

[edit on 1/13/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, Bush totally screwed up and let Paulson hand it out to the CEOs without oversight.

Was it not Congress who gave Paulson the extra powers? Was it not Congress that said they would have oversight on where the money went? Was it not Congress who wrote in the part about CEO's being unable to profit from this?

Seems to me Congress was the one who has and continues to drop the ball.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Was it not Congress who gave Paulson the extra powers? Was it not Congress that said they would have oversight on where the money went? Was it not Congress who wrote in the part about CEO's being unable to profit from this?

Seems to me Congress was the one who has and continues to drop the ball.

Yes.

And that would be the democrat controlled congress that gave Paulson the powers.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

But obama did ask Bush to release the funds so he'd have something to work with. This makes all your 'Bush is bad' conspiracy arguments moot (in this case).

[edit on 1/13/2009 by centurion1211]

hang on there cowboy, i just posted that story because it was a NEW DEVELOPMENT to the original story. stop trying to pick fights.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by turbokid]

new topics

top topics

join