It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carter urges Obama to work closely with China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Carter urges Obama to work closely with China

news.yahoo.com

BEIJING – Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, whose administration formalized diplomatic ties with China 30 years ago, on Monday urged President-elect Barack Obama to find ways to work more closely with Beijing on global issues.

Carter also called the US-China diplomatic relationship the most important in the world today and predicted it would continue to greatly benefit both sides for decades to come.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Carter said both sides had to overcome period
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
In 1001 Arabian Nights, two brothers encountered an Ifrit and his wife. According the account of the two brothers, The wife found the Ifrit offensive, was tired of holding up his head and regularly had extra-marital affairs with "her own kind".

If you want to have an inside track on world events and the direction of the world, keep your eyes upon the U.S./China relationship. It is the single most important relationship on Earth.

No conspiracy or plot against America, no matter how minor, can materialize while the US and China are getting along.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-1-2009 by huckfinn]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This is the truth for sure. I just dont know how much longer they are going to buy our debt. Militarily I think we are closer than what is made out.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

I think they'll continue to buy it if for no other reason that no alternative to it exists. Of course that statement assumes that China cares for more than short term gains when buying state debt. Otherwise, the world is full of flash in the pan investment schemes; what others could offer.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Work closely with China .. eh?

Okay .. how about Obama work closely with them and get them to stop poisoning us with lead in our goods .. lead in our toys ... poison in our pet food ... below standard ingredients for medicine .... and what about all those human rights abuses that China loooooves to wallow in?

He can start with those.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I am sure he will. As a large scale manufacturer serving global markets, China is quite new. Their quality control may not be at the level the west has come to expect.

I am sure confirmable increases in the quality of Chinese products, including the removal of lead, will a priority in the near term. Thanks for the contribution.

PS. It wasn't until the 70s that we here in America stopped putting lead in our household paints. When the paint dried out and began to crack, children would eat the peelings. The results were varied including death, I think. I was quite young at the time, but remember being told not to eat paint chips.

Improving human rights is something we could all agree to do.

Life a journey, we all learn. Thanks again.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by huckfinn]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Thanks for posting, I think many fear a strong China, I don't but I do feel they should be kept and eye on though.

I covered what people may be fearing in a previous post
China vs. The USA: An eye opener

[edit on 12-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That's easy enough, nothing separates America and China but water. I think America and China are natural allies. As natural as America is with Europe or Western Africa.

It seems to be a Strategic Imperative for all American presidents, not just Obama, to nurture this relationship.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by huckfinn

I agree at this moment in time we need each other, and will continue to need each other for the foreseeable future.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Quite a few good points have been on this post. However, did it take Jimmy Carter opening his jabber jaw to realize all of this. Probably not.

Carter, zip it. For some reason he feels compelled to try and save what little legacy he has left behind. Perhaps we should take advice from him on how to deal with OPEC nations.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I know a little about China. Frankly, if there was a magical way we could become strong allies, no power on earth, not even the potentially fictional NWO or corporatist elite could contend with it.

But there are rules of conduct, keeping the people of China and the people of the United States from entering a dialogue. Only the politicians and political or mega wealthy are allowed to interact and 'plan' on our behalf. Any enduring relationship, or failure in cooperation will be their doing. Not ours.

Aside from that the people living in China and the people living in the US might be surprised at how alike they are in mind and relationships with their government. Which is why we should soon see increasing references in the media to the comparative lifestyles between us. I can't say whether it will be truthfully spun or just the usual Transnational Elite/MSM self-serving pablum they normally spew.

It bears remembering that there are more honor students in China than there are total student in the US. Lot's of fodder for concern there.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Quite a few good points have been on this post. However, did it take Jimmy Carter opening his jabber jaw to realize all of this. Probably not.

Carter, zip it. For some reason he feels compelled to try and save what little legacy he has left behind. Perhaps we should take advice from him on how to deal with OPEC nations.

One name comes to mind Nixon.

A president who was probably hated more than Bush if you can imagine that. If it wasn't for him though we would probably be in the middle of a new arms race with the Chinese.

I wonder.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

About two years ago, direct flights between the Beijing and Chicago began. While I agree that most of the relationship will involve government to government contact at first, I see a lot of cultural exchange between not just China and America, but the entire Asian world and America.

Movies, food, fashion and sports being prominent aspects of the cultural exchange now occuring. In addition, I think a basic change is taking hold on how Taiwan and China interact with one another, reducing the possibility of the United States having to get involved in a military incident.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Normally I would have just skipped over an article that included statements by Jimmy Carter, but I read it anyway because it involved China. I suppose he wants to be associated with at least one thing that doesn't involve political failure.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by huckfinn
I think a basic change is taking hold on how Taiwan and China interact with one another, reducing the possibility of the United States having to get involved in a military incident.

The united states has had a decent relationships with other Asian countries, but it was always China that had it its culture shielded from the rest of the world and now that they are players on the world stage they have to open up a little their people who are becoming wealthier want to travel abroad and see the outside world.

They cant have both and needed to change. as far as Taiwan I'm glad mainland China seems to be getting the message and hopefully will make nice!

[edit on 12-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think China may be just recovering from PTS syndrome. In the last 98 years they lived through the destruction of a 300 years old Empire, 30 years of Civil War, War with Japan and 45 years of Cold War.

Its a 4500 years old society thats only been able to venture out into the world independently for the last 19 years. Its old, but young again.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
He is going to have to. The long terms success and viability of future stimulas plans depends on whether or not China is willing to continue buying US debt.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The Peanut Farmer to the rescue!! How will he sell America out this time?

Why oh why do we give one of the worst presidents in U.S. history a voice in foreign policy? Can only imagine the promises he will make on our behalf.
Communism here we come!

top topics

join