It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden harm of google searches

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
Cool As soon as CO2Stats can show me where the exhaust is on a web site I'll be sure to install a Cadillac converter and muffler on mine....

catalytic converter, not Cadillac converter. LMAO!

To the OP, so what? If I really gave a rat's butt about my CO2 emissions, I've got quite a long list of things I personally do & contribute to that apply a much higher load than my Google activity does.

If someone really wanted to strike up a thread on ATS vilifying Google, the fact that you can do 3 searches on Google and suddenly start seeing user directed banner ads related to those 3 searches on virtually any ad-driven site you visit would probably be a better place to start. I am serious about that. Do a little test. Jump onto Google and search for 3 related items you've never searched for before (say incontinence, adult diapers, and urination) and watch how randomly you'll notice a Depends ad appear on other sites you surf. This will continue even after clearing your cookies file, too. The real hidden harm of Google searches is that they track you incessantly and invasively.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

I doubt those amounts, as they have been provided by someone that has been on the governments side of the "global warming" push.

I don't for one minute believe the earth is going through this since most scientists that have apparently signed the IPCC document were not aware that their names were on it... Most have recently come out to say that they disagree with the IPCC stand and also disagree on the model used.

If a meteorologist is unable to predict the weather five days from now, how can we expect him to forecast years in advance.... If you check on the IPCC model also, you will see that many weather scientists discredited the "program" they used to forecast this coming...

The fact that other "conspiracies" are going on that lend credence to this is another place to check... A good search of ATS on HAARP, IPCC. Hurricanes, Earthquakes and Clouds will give you a good start on finding the links.... but that will take some carbon for you to search eh!!

Rgds

[edit on 12-1-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by titorite
Cool As soon as CO2Stats can show me where the exhaust is on a web site I'll be sure to install a Cadillac converter and muffler on mine....

catalytic converter, not Cadillac converter. LMAO!

To the OP, so what? If I really gave a rat's butt about my CO2 emissions, I've got quite a long list of things I personally do & contribute to that apply a much higher load than my Google activity does.

If someone really wanted to strike up a thread on ATS vilifying Google, the fact that you can do 3 searches on Google and suddenly start seeing user directed banner ads related to those 3 searches on virtually any ad-driven site you visit would probably be a better place to start. I am serious about that. Do a little test. Jump onto Google and search for 3 related items you've never searched for before (say incontinence, adult diapers, and urination) and watch how randomly you'll notice a Depends ad appear on other sites you surf. This will continue even after clearing your cookies file, too. The real hidden harm of Google searches is that they track you incessantly and invasively.

How did you find out I use depends
Yep point taken (on part of your post). I know Google data gathering is a worrying aspect to searches.

But let’s get back to the actual topic – Just because I posed the article doesn’t mean I agree with it. It’s a debatable topic surely. I think what Alex Wissner-Gross is suggesting is that because Google uses distributed servers as opposed to a larger more efficient main frame they consume more power per search.

So while Alex Wissner-Gross (Harvard University) carbon figures may be miscalculated is Google efficient or not.

As you say “If I really gave a rat's butt about my CO2 emissions” that’s okay some people do. Thank for your input.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I just love it when people post stories here without checking facts.
you picked the one company that is doing something about it.

arstechnica.com...
www.treehugger.com...
googleblog.blogspot.com...

yahoo must be really bad.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

EVERYONE STOP BREATHING!!

In a day you exhale 1 KG of CO2!!!!!

And yes I used google to find that out! (but we don't add to the CO2 in the environment by breathing - so please continue)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I just love it when people post stories here without checking facts.
you picked the one company that is doing something about it.

arstechnica.com...
www.treehugger.com...
googleblog.blogspot.com...

yahoo must be really bad.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by ANNED]

Great stuff ANNED that puts that to rest then - Now I don’t feel so bad to search with Google. But who is going to put Mr Alex Wissner-Gross at Harvard University on the right track. I wonder how many black balloons he has wasted - Cheers

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
When they discover how to re-direct all that wasted energy back into our homes so that we can power our own teakettles from it, then I'll take notice.

Till then, big yawn.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

EVERYONE STOP BREATHING!!

In a day you exhale 1 KG of CO2!!!!!

And yes I used google to find that out! (but we don't add to the CO2 in the environment by breathing - so please continue)

Oh why not pray tell, what about my exhaust gas

Sorry didn’t mean to be flippant - Anyhow sounds like Google are green again.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Im just waiting for the day we start getting taxed for breathing...its going to happen and you all know it...
As for this article, google is my best non conscious friend,smart too!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I don't use google. And if you ever see me post something that suggests searching, I say goolge it. In my opinion, google is today what AOL was in dialup days. Infests your registry and tries to command you to do things.

Goolge this.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Previous posters – thought you would like this as perhaps a closing post to this thread
Cheers

I’ve never met a modern environmentalist who wasn’t a misanthrope, which explains why most of them, like Gore, buy houseboats. The only creatures who can stand them are fish.

Read more

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

if your worried about it .. use this pointless site..

www.blackle.com...

apparently the black requires less energy and saved Co2, thus stopping the artificial menace known as global war.... sorry, i mean climate change .. hahaha..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join