It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark attacks cause panic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

sharks do? yer tellin me a fish, sharks, have dfferent personalities?

Different species of sharks respond differently, even if in the same situation; much like a personality. Even specimens of the same species can react differently in the same situation.

NO $#*%!!!!

Depends what you're doing, how experienced you are with Sharks. Many divers and swimmers do purposefully swim with Great Whites, I saw a video of one actually grabbing the fin and hitching a ride. Like I said, tracking studies have been done and Sharks generally avoid dive sites, and when they don't, no sightings, let alone attacks, are seen; I've dived in areas with Great Whites...

Or they are younger, or maybe just better at not getting scratched all to hell that that other dude. Damn, he'd been through the ringer, eh?

So, is that an assumption, or have you swam with Sharks? I have. I've fed them with my hands... and clearly, Sharks often do act in different ways.

Yeah right, I wonder how many legless surfers would try this one again? LOL, would you honestly heed your own advice on this one?

Your arguement only works with the most cherrypicked of situations. IF he is diving, then yes, he should heed that advice, it is usually given out in dive briefings (with sharks).

then again, have they not found just about every object imaginable in sharks? everything from treasure chests to tires, body parts to ship parts? it's like they're...machines!

Generally that only happens with Tiger Sharks, Bull shark, and Great Whites. The problem is, without context these are useless; how many sharks actually have and do eat these things? What percentage?

so this thing just blindly swims around eating anything in it's way....but it's not a mindless eating machine nope....misconception all the way.

Don't think we're talking about Bull Sharks here. In any case, no sharks just swim around eating anything. Bull Sharks are territorial...

awww...look at the cute little shark checking you out by "nibbling" all your limbs off,

Sometimes sharks bite once then swim away. They don't stay and nibble limbs off...

[edit on 14/1/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Hey your more than welcome to think that they are mindless eating machines. My definition of a mindless eating machine is a fat person standing in front of a dollar menu in McDonalds.

The point I was trying to make is that sharks are not like the movie Jaws, they don't swim around looking for tourist to munch on. Unfortunately a lot of people still stereotype sharks this way. To see sharks in their on environment they are actually a very beautiful creature, in a weird type of way. Of course like any wild creature they deserve their respect.

Sharks are one of the apex predators of the sea, without them the oceans ecosystem will fail. Humans kill millions of them each year, while maybe one or two humans die each year from them. So who is really the mindless killer?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by testrat

I'm not arguing anything that you just posted.
I also am not a shark expert so i hope no one is writing a paper based on what I've been typing. I understand that people do swim with sharks on purpose, but not me! I get that they don't just go around looking for humans to munch on like jaws.

Having said that....i do view them as the goats of the sea. Is that a little less offensive to all you sharks and shark lovers than mindless eating machines?

<< 1   >>

join