It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark attacks cause panic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Shark attacks cause panic

www.straitstimes.com

SYDNEY - A SWIMMER was rushed to hospital on Monday after being bitten in what is believed to be the third shark attack off Australian beaches in just two days, police said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

MOD Note: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalise it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 1/12/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This is common news is OZ, but I dont know what news you get over in the States and other places arund the world. I come from Australia and I know someone who has been attacked and bitten by a shark. But three attacks in two days that really is alot. Is it just a freaky coincidence or something else?

www.straitstimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/12/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I'm in Florida, a few years ago we had a string of attacks within a week. Generally it just ends up being people in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Other times it's one shark that's developed a taste for people.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Thats not the half of it.

1 week ago, a man was killed off rockingham coast by a white pointer.

Brian Guest, 51, is feared to have been taken by a shark at Cote D'Azure Gardens, about 8km south of Rockingham, while snorkelling with his 24-year-old son at about 7am today

Since then, there has been 8-10 shark sightings.

AT least two more sharks have been spotted off Perth beaches, following nearly a week of constant sightings of large sharks close to shore

A hammerhead shark came within a few metres of a swimmer at Scarborough this morning causing the closure of two of Perth's most popular beaches.

The creature, thought to be up to three metres long, was seen within 20 metres of an open swimmer when the alarm was raised.

TWO Perth beaches were closed early today after sharks were spotted, just a week after last Saturday's fatal attack at Port Kennedy.

The latest sightings come after a week of sightings of large sharks have plagued metropolitan beaches -- from Port Kennedy to Mindarie in the north.

Hammerheads, white pointers, sharks swimming up to dingies.. Even at the funeral of the whitepointer victim another whitepointer was spotted just 100m of the shoreline.

I was diving rottnest island, about 30kms north of rockingham, 35m diving deep the day this man in rockingham was taken.

While I didnt see anything, I was uneasy the whole dive.

Im diving Ningaloo on the Australia day long weekend, and am genuinley concerned.

Why are there so many shark sightings / attacks occuring this summer?

Ive decided to carry 2x dive knives.

One on the arm, one on the leg.

So if i get bitten on one, i still have the other left to try and poke its eye out.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Well when you look at it like that it has abit more to it............
I wonder if the animals of the world know something we don't?
Or mother Nature watched Roy Scheider in that movie.
Two dive knives GOLD LOL

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
It is unusual but not unheard of. They had the same issues a few years back in Florida with high numbers of sharks one summer.
The problem with Australia is that they have a high number of LARGE apex predators and those will eat anything they want.
Especially if it is a slow, soft skinned human who swims like a wounded seal and smells like he's been marinated in tropic tan coconut flavor oil.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I think this is all just bad luck coupled with the fact that there are a lot more people on the beaches and in the water over the summer period.

A few years back my father and I were fishing about 300m off the Mt Eliza Beach (Port Phillip/Davies Bay) in our boat. Out of nowhere a 17ft bronze whaler (about 2 ft longer than our boat) surfaced along side us. So close that we could have patted it if we were brave/stupid enough. It was rather docile however we decided to lift anchor and skirt along the shallows of the beach to let all the swimmers know.

Before we got into Frankston, we had to stop to tell a rather obese women and her kids to get out of the water. When we mentioned the word shark, the poor lady literally froze in her place. We both had to jump out of the boat and get her to the shore as she would have capsized us or broken our backs if we tried to lift her in over the side. As she was only about 400m from where we encountered the bronze whaler, I was NOT happy about having to jump in.

The whole time we were helping her, I had these visions of being torn apart by this man eater. Everywhere I looked I saw shadows. It was one of the scariest moments of my life!!!. It wasn't over once we got her and her kids to shore because dad and I had to then swim back to the boat which had been drifting away because dad forgot to throw out the anchor... bloody lovely!

Anyhow, I'm happy to say I still have all arms and legs and didn't catch sight of the massive bronze whaler again but I swear that is the LAST time I risk my life in that kind of fashion! Urgh!

IRM

[edit on 12/1/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Gday, im originally from Perth too

Hot summer= more people at beaches= person killed/ attacked= more shark sightings= mass hysteria

Thats why

I can guarantee in winter we wont see any unless someone is attacked

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Gday, im originally from Perth too

Hot summer= more people at beaches= person killed/ attacked= more shark sightings= mass hysteria

Thats why

I can guarantee in winter we wont see any unless someone is attacked

The amount this year does seem higher, I guess this could be because after the attack in Rockingham they have stepped up the amount of spotters looking for them.

None spotted down the Southwest yet either.

That's a good thing for me lol

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Dude you're a diver...

Finally something we can agree on.

Anyhow, a dive knife is not going to do much if a shark decides to take a bite out'ta you, you'd be better off to invest in a shark shield. They run around $500 usd, and you can get a few hours out of the battery, and you can switch it off when you are sure there is nothing in the area. A powerhead is your next best bet, you have to check on local laws before you can use one though.

The thing is that most sharks are more apprehensive of divers then they are of other types of people in the water. The reason being that you blow bubbles, like dolphins, which they don't get along with, and with your fins and tank on your are almost as large as most of them are. Heck with my fins on, in the water, I am almost 10 feet long...

Believe it or not Florida is the Shark attack capital of the world, specifically Volusia County. Though we generally get smaller sharks then Australia, we still get the occasional pod of great whites down here (there is one off of Boca Grande at least once a year hunting tarpon). They have found that the two highest contributing factors to shark attacks on humans are decreases in the sharks natural pray, and low visibility. Humans are just not sharks natural prey. There is some debate over whether shark feeding dives is a contributing factor, but I doubt that effects enough sharks to make a difference. Threating them, cornering them, or frightening them is also generally a bad idea.

I have dove with sharks a couple of times, and have found them to be amazing and graceful creatures, as a matter of fact I am almost too taken by them for my own good. Sometimes I get so amazed by what I am seeing I forget exactly how dangerous some of that stuff is. I am not sure why this is, but it seems much less frightening when you can actually see it, then the idea of one attacking you while you are on the surface with no visibility underneath you. I would think that actually seeing one would be even more freighting, bit when there is one there, I am too fascinated to be afraid of it...
Weird eh?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Those sharks are probably just pissed at all the carbendazim in the water down there....

See this thread for the details. Just wait for the 2 headed sharks, that'll get em to clean up their act.

Is it possible that these sharks are lacking in a more typical food source down there?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
Those sharks are probably just pissed at all the carbendazim in the water down there....

See this thread for the details. Just wait for the 2 headed sharks, that'll get em to clean up their act.

Is it possible that these sharks are lacking in a more typical food source down there?

Doesn't explain the amount of sharks spotted on the west coast though

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Can you really blame the sharks though? Get out of the water if you don't want to get attacked. It's as simple as that.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Hi all

I am currently living in Scarborough, Perth, Western Australia and I was the swimmer that spotted the large Shark 100m of the beach.

I have been srfing everyday for a week and the last four days we have had sharks coming right into shore and the beach has been closed at least 8 times while I was there.

Thing I found scary, was that the shark was not spotted by the relevant people even though they use Polarised Glasses and Binoculars and believe me, when you see a 2 foot fin pop up 10m in front of you, the heart starts to pump.

But, we are in their environment and if you get hit its just bad luck.

we kill 10 million sharks a year, they deserve some fight back

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
No one's blaming the sharks. Everyone knows they are mindless eating machines, and if you go in the water you have a 1 in 100 million chance of getting bitten by a shark. So why not take the risk....

I think this thread is about the frequency of attacks, and whether it's coincidence or not that there have been so many attacks in a a short period. Can't blame the sharks, they're just doin what sharks do.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
It is unusual but not unheard of. They had the same issues a few years back in Florida with high numbers of sharks one summer.
The problem with Australia is that they have a high number of LARGE apex predators and those will eat anything they want.
Especially if it is a slow, soft skinned human who swims like a wounded seal and smells like he's been marinated in tropic tan coconut flavor oil.

I've just been out hiking, looking for for some of our LARGE apex predators.

Found some wallabies, a kangaroo, wombats, emus, koalas, goannas, emus, platypussies, possums, bats . . .

It's really a bit hard to find anything with less than six legs that wants to bite you in Australia. (Unless you stand on a snake.) Some of our fauna might scratch you or pee over you if you cuddle them, or steal your lunch, but those injuries are generally not life threatening.

Just don't believe anyone who is holding your valuables that the waterhole with bumpy old logs floating in it is a great place for a swim.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

SHARK numbers are soaring along the NSW coast, with one expert warning they have increased by up to 80 per cent. Advising swimmers to be extremely careful when entering the water, director of Surfwatch Australia Michael Brown said: "They are here to feed. People should be cautious." He said not only were all shark species increasing, they were also getting bigger. Safety: How to avoid becoming shark bait (Word document) As another swimmer was attacked on the South Coast yesterday - the third victim in two days - two great whites estimated at 3.5m and 4m long were spotted lurking off Sydney beaches. Both were large enough to attack humans as well as marine mammals and fish. Shark hero: Tossed around like a rag doll Mr Brown said he was amazed by the number of sharks off the city's beaches and along the coast. "I'm not being alarmist, but the increases aren't in the 10 per cent range or 20 per cent. I'm talking something like 50 to 80 per cent increase in the past few years," he said. New victim makes it Jaws III "It just keeps building. We are seeing totally unbelievable numbers of sharks. And we are seeing stunning numbers of many different types of sharks - great whites, hammerheads, whalers . . . The number of sharks is just astonishing. The increase in numbers is a definite cause for concern." Lake Illawarra: Shark strikes in tepid waters Steven Fogarty became the latest shark victim when he was attacked while snorkelling at Windang, at the mouth of Lake Illawarra on the South Coast, about 10.45am. It followed two attacks on Sunday - one on a surfer at Fingal Beach on the North Coast and one on a 13-year-old girl surfing in Tasmania's northeast. Both attacks have been blamed on great whites. Mr Brown said the two Sydney great whites were seen just before 7am, with the 3.5m shark at Palm Beach photographed shadowing a feeding frenzy of other fish about 4km off Barrenjoey Lighthouse. Gallery: Scary great whites The second was estimated to be at least 4m long and was spotted hunting fish just over a kilometre off Long Reef. "These were both massive sharks. Big ones. When they mature they get really thick, really broad across the shoulders," he said. "Two hammerheads we also saw at Palm Beach were bigger than we normally see, too. They were about 2.5m long." He said increased baitfish numbers after an upwelling of nutrient-rich water three years ago had contributed to the increase in shark numbers. Great whites are now also a fully protected species. Mr Brown said the privately funded Surfwatch Australia aerial patrols were seeing more great whites off Sydney. Leaked report: Great whites off Sydney "We are also seeing the same whites over and over again," he said. "They are hanging around. "They seem to have set themselves up here, they aren't just passing through." Mr Brown said he believed the State Government was "foolish" not to help fund aerial patrolling. But Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said: "One of the key outcomes of the 2006 Shark Summit was that fixed-wing aircraft are not the most effective way to increase safety. "In bad light - when the sharks are particularly active, at dawn and dusk - visibility is poor from a plane."

www.news.com.au...

cheers
Mungo

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
A study was done on sharks, including Great Whites, that involved tracking gear. They actually generally avoid divers, and when they passed through a dive site; there were no sightings. I really wouldn't worry about sharks while diving; in my area there are Bronze Whalers, and Great Whites, and attacks while diving are unheard of... and certaintly, I've never seen one myself.

[edit on 14/1/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
No one's blaming the sharks. Everyone knows they are mindless eating machines,

Well, this is a misconception. Of course their instincts take over during a feeding frenzy, but in general sharks have very different personality's. Look at white sharks for example.

This is a shark you probably don't want to be in the water with. It has a lot of facial scarring, meaning it is a bite first ask questions later type of shark. While you will see other white sharks with no scars around the face. These are more cautions sharks. More likely to investigator its prey first before attacking.

Most attacks on humans is because of a few simple things that can easily be avoided. Never swim during low light periods. You leave a nice big fat tasty shadow on the surface. Surfers look like seals on the surfaces. Spear fishing should speak for itself. And the worst thing you can do if you see a shark is swim away from it, this just makes you look like a prey item.

Many people swim with white sharks without any special protection. If you don't look like food, then it not going to really think you are food, because its not like sharks see humans everyday.

Even the most dangerous shark in the world the Bull shark. Which has the most testosterone than any other animal, still only attacks people either because it is either defending its territory or because its blind as a bat, and took a bite out of you because you happened to be in its way.

Remember sharks don't have hands, so they can't feel something out. They will need to bit something to see what it is. These bites are not devasting, just a nibble. But when you have teeth as sharp as knives going into you, it does get messy.

Out of all the sharks attacks during the year, maybe only one or so you will actually see the person get eaten. Most attacks the shark is just trying to figure out what you are.

As for why there has been so many sightings in one week, this is probably due to a water temperature shift or maybe something with the currents. Some effect probably bought their food source closer to shore. It will pass in a week or so.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Regarding the "mindless eating machines".......

Well, this is a misconception.

ok we'll see....

Of course their instincts take over during a feeding frenzy, but in general sharks have very different personality's.

sharks do? yer tellin me a fish, sharks, have dfferent personalities?

This is a shark you probably don't want to be in the water with.

NO $#*%!!!!

While you will see other white sharks with no scars around the face. These are more cautions sharks. More likely to investigator its prey first before attacking.

Or they are younger, or maybe just better at not getting scratched all to hell that that other dude. Damn, he'd been through the ringer, eh?

And the worst thing you can do if you see a shark is swim away from it, this just makes you look like a prey item.

Yeah right, I wonder how many legless surfers would try this one again? LOL, would you honestly heed your own advice on this one?

If you don't look like food, then it not going to really think you are food,

then again, have they not found just about every object imaginable in sharks? everything from treasure chests to tires, body parts to ship parts? it's like they're...machines!

only attacks people either because it is either defending its territory or because its blind as a bat, and took a bite out of you because you happened to be in its way.

so this thing just blindly swims around eating anything in it's way....but it's not a mindless eating machine nope....misconception all the way. Let me guess....you're married to a shark?

Remember sharks don't have hands, so they can't feel something out. They will need to bit something to see what it is. These bites are not devasting, just a nibble. But when you have teeth as sharp as knives going into you, it does get messy.

awww...look at the cute little shark checking you out by "nibbling" all your limbs off,

They're mindless eating machines, and you sound like a shark expert, so maybe yer right about why the increase of sightings and attacks. Guess we'll have to wait and see if anything else happens...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join