It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The U.S. Government Requires Warning Labels On Toothpaste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Let’s examine the ingredients found in most toothpaste’s to find out why the FDA requires warning labels. The following are common ingredients found in toothpaste: hydrated silica, sorbitol, sodium saccharin, titanium dioxide, glycerin, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, and sodium fluoride.

Hydrated silica is made from a crystallized compound found in quartz, sand, and flint and is primarily used as an abrasive in toothpaste.

Sorbitol and sodium saccharin are both sweeteners and used as carriers and sweeteners in toothpaste.

Titanium dioxide is a pigment used for providing brightness and whiteness to such products as paint, plastics, paper, inks, fibers, food, and cosmetics; and is used as a stain remover/whitener in toothpaste.

Glycerin is a syrupy, sweet, colorless or yellowish liquid obtained from fats and oils and used as a solvent, antifreeze, plasticizer, and sweetener in the manufacture of dynamite, cosmetics, liquid soaps, inks, and lubricants. Glycerin prevents toothpaste from drying out and helps maintain product consistency.

Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is a powerful surfactant (wetting agents) and detergent. It has industrial and cosmetic uses and is used around the world in clinically studies as a skin irritant. The molecule is small enough to penetrate the skin and can enter the blood stream being carried to every organ of the body. SLS is used in toothpaste as a foaming and cleansing agent.

Sodium fluoride is a colorless crystalline salt used in fluoridation of water, in treatment of tooth decay, and as an insecticide and disinfectant. Sodium fluoride is used in toothpaste to harden the enamel of the teeth to prevent tooth decay.

www.oramd.com...

Just when you thought it was safe to brush your teeth 3 times a day to rid your mouth of msg, aspartame and various other poisons in our food...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Even worse...

fluoridealert.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Thats why i use bicarbonate of soda and tea tree...works just aswell i think.Never seen anything that shows fluroide does what it says...especially when you consider how long it actually comes into contact with your teeth.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I asked a dentist a month ago, "Is fluoride really bad?"

His replies were as follows in my own words:

There are three kinds of fluoride.

Toothpaste contains one type of fluoride that is NOT meant for ingestion. He made a point that we spit out the toothpaste and never swallow it. (I didn't tell him about the times my siblings and other neighbor children had a toothpaste TASTE-TESTING to see whose family had the best tasting toothpaste!)

Water is fluoridated with a different kind of fluoride.

Fluoridated water should NOT be given to children 5 years old and younger; but, is okay for people 6 and over.

Fluoride is NOT my topic. I posted this in case somebody wanted to research the three different kinds of fluoride and which ones are for external use only such as toothpaste.

Also, what does fluoridated water do to five year olds and younger? Why doesn't it affect six year olds and older?

edit typos

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Until about 8-10 years ago a tube of toothpaste had as much sugar as a can of coke, it made the news here in Australia, after that they started putting the artificial sweeteners instead. That's why still to this day on the box for the toothpaste it say "Contains no Sugar" or "Sugar Free". Also note that the ingredients of the tooth paste are always written on the box, because that is the part the everyone throws out so they never read it.

Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and / or sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES) i have read they are the worse of the ingredients because they are a carcinogen and it is found in things we use everyday, all body wash, tooth paste and even kids bubble bath (It's basicly in everything that foams up).

That's why i now use natural soaps and shampoos, but make sure you read the ingrediants on the natural stuff to, because i have notice a few natural toothpaste that contain SLS.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I cant believe the ammount of deadly chemicals we willingly ingest on a daily basis. And people wonder why we are so obese, cancerous and riddled with heart disease and diabetes...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Once a person becomes educated that the usual brands of toothpaste are not healthy, the solution is rather simple. Stop buying them. Purchase natural toothpastes instead, such as Tom's of Maine brand, or the Kiss My Face brand, or other brands usually sold at organic stores.

However, the better pastes are of course more expensive, and harder to find. Easiest to order of the internet currently.

The conspiracy of the major stores to carry only toothpastes that contain fluoride is pretty obvious. For instance, Wal-Mart and Meijers both carry Tom's of Maine brand products, however they carry the version that contains fluoride! If you are lucky, you can sometimes find a Meijers with the fluoride free version, but not at the one I am near. Actually I am not sure if Walmart carries Tom's brand anymore.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Wow I thought my toothpaste was good seeing as its Toms of Maine but I just grabbed it to read the ingredients and guess what I see:
Sodium Flouride
Glycerin
Xylitol
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Sorbitol
Hydrated Silica

and its also proud enough to taut in big red letters
"This product does not contain saccharin; artificial sweeteners, preservatives, colors, or flavors"

... great, and I thought switching to toms would be good, and now I have to buy new toothpaste. It sickens me to know that "natural" products are full of such healthy chemicals and carcinogens!
That titanium dioxide in my body wash is definitely good too!

[edit on 13-1-2009 by WhatIveSeen]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatIveSeen

The box of Tom's I have contains:

Ingredient, Purpose, Source:
Calcium Carbonate, Mild Abrasive, Purified calcium from the earth.
Water, Consistency, Maine Aquifer.
Glycerin, Moistener, Vegetable Oils.
Sodium Bicarbonate, Mouth freshness, Sodium Bicarbonate.
Xylitol, Anti-plaque, Birch trees.
Carrageenan, Thickener, Seaweed.
Pepperment Oils, Flavor, Peppermint.
Sodium lauryl sulfate, Dispersant, Coconut oil.
Myrrh, Mouth freshness, Myrrh Bush.
Propolis, Mouth freshness, tree resin mix gathered by bees.

So again, you must have the large chain store version which contains Fluoride and is a different recipe than their better versions found in organic stores.

Also, not all chemicals are bad simply because they have a funny chemistry name. The only thing I don't like in this version of Tom's is the Sodium lauryl sulfate, that stuff isn't too great. Otherwise, it is a heck of a lot better than your average brand of toothpaste.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Ionized]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The same warning label is on all over the counter products that contain potentially TOXIC drugs.

Fluoride is considered a potentially TOXIC drug by the FDA... then again, so is everything with an ACTIVE INGREDIENT.

It's no secret that fluoride is toxic if ingested. The government tells you, but you still act like there is a conspiracy. It says right on there to call POISON CONTROL if you ingest more than is intended for brushing.

*snip*

Then you got the OP trying to make a case because certain ingredients in the toothpaste have other applications - IMAGINE THAT! YOU MEAN THOSE INGREDIENTS ARE NOT ONLY FOR TOOTHPASTE?

SALT is used to extinguish grease fires, polish grass and copper, melt ice on highways, remove mildew, kill vegetation, used in the case-hardening steel process.

It must mean SALT is horrible for you!

Unfortunately, it's only horrible when ingested in large quantities - just like fluoride.

*snip*

Mod Edit: Hold off on the personal attacks. Cheers.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by alien]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Unless you're having some kind of reaction to the toothpaste, I wouldn't worry.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If id known that this topic would engender such harsh reaction, id never have posted it.

Obviously, this topic may hit nerves with people.

WARNING - DO NOT DISCUSS THIS TOPIC AT HOME, these are highly trained professionals, please do not try this at home.

new topics

top topics

join