It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does TV really influence the masses?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Does TV REALLY influence that many people.

Ever walk through a store and see something and just have the urge to try it? A simple random urge or the influence of a multibillion dollar industry?

Never mind the sound byte nature of our current society, some people worry of subliminal messages, could it be that the most powerful influence is directly in our faces?

How has TV influenced your decisions?

I got rid of my TV around 5 years ago, best decision ever. Now if I want to watch something I have to go to friends house and schedule to see it with them...best decision ever.

Ugh, Grammar edit

[edit on 11-1-2009 by SonOfChaos]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
If television doesn't influence the masses, then advertisers are spending billions of dollars every year for absolutely nothing.

I lived for the better part of twenty years without owning a television.

I should probably get rid of my cable subscription, but I do enjoy the sports.

Commercials really annoy the daylights out of me and the more obnoxious of them put me off the products.

Truck and beer commercials during football games have to be among the worst and then of course there are those ones with the insufferable Billy Mays screaming his head off.

[edit on 2009/1/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
If television doesn't influence the masses, then advertisers are spending billions of dollars every year for absolutely nothing.
I am not a mass. I don't buy the deodorant advertised on TV, the drinks I drink aren't advertised, the brand of shirts I wear doesn't advertise in any of my magazines, my shampoo? my toothpaste? None of them are in the slightest bit influenced by advertising. And I watch a LOT of TV.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
video.google.com...

I always recommend people watch this when it comes to how media,companies etc all work on influencing people through techniques based on sigmund freud's work. Its long but worth it...among one of the best bbc documentaries i have seen.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Good question! now I would have to say personaly that I don't let TV influence me, others I can't speak for. I have to ability to choose what I watch as well as what I listen to, therefore if I am influenced by a peticular show or comercial advertisment it is because I have chosen to allow it to influence me. The masses however seem to reflect the influence of media and television just look at what is "popular" how did ie's popularity spread, not in the least by word of mouth IMO. Some people chose to be influenced by television, those who lack the mental fortitute to think on their own, it is easy to be told what to think, how to act, what to buy ect ect.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I don't think that TV influences "the masses", but rather, I think it really depends on your personality. I know a lot of people, like myself, that couldn't care less about TV. My personal hatred stems from all the crap and supposed "reality" that's floating around, not to mention Family Guy and American Dad.

Commercials annoy me, especially the ones with Billy Mays and anything where people are sweating orange/blue/red/whatever.

I watch football, hockey and some history channel. That's about it. There's absolutely nothing left on TV for me.

HOWEVER: There are a lot of people that have a million problems with my opinions on TV. Family Guy and American Dad create the most of their problems. I think these shows STINK with a capitol SUCK. And yet, I can't go into public without people saying I'm a tight-ass with no sense of humor. Bleh. I can't stand the way people ooh and ahh over reality TV and they are equally baffled by the face that I DON'T ooh and ahh over it.

I think it all comes down to whether or not you are a sheep. If you HAVE to have all the latest celebrity gossip and the latest trends and know what happened on the Hills last night; if you have to have the latest clothes, and care what Paris Hilton is up to and spend your whole life following what the media says is cool. Odds are, you are a sheep and you are influenced by TV.

Otherwise, you probably don't care what those people are doing or wearing and watch TV for purely entertainment purposes. Good for you and your sentient mind.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Well, it certainly seems to have helped convince a lot of people to vote for Obama. It would be interesting to see what our last 50 years in the US would have been like, if there was no TV. Who would have gotten elected? What wars would not have been fought? Interesting thought.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I think TV definitely influences the masses. Even me.

It wont make me care about something I dont care about. No matter how many luxury car ads, or jewelry ads, I never have, and likely never will care about them. However, if I see ads for food, (which I do care about) it will sure influence what I want to eat.

And, I do catch myself humming those annoying little songs they use. SO obviously that crap gets in there and sticks.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Music sticks once it's been pounded into your head a thousand times. It's why I've stopped listening to public radio, I don't want to hear "Love in This Club" 900 times, I already think it sucks.

However, my friends and I knew all the free credit report jingles at one point. None of us ever went to the website though.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The process of obtaining the majority of our information and entertainment from television has had a far greater impact than the advertising and content.
You have to sit on your ass in a semi trance state for hours on watching TV. Passivity in observing and learning with prepackaged material made to look spontaneous really warps things. The visuals and audio are provided as a convinving simulation of reality. Considering how mundane life is for most, and how colourful and dynamic TV is, it imprints a reality context for most people now.

Everything from body types to political issues use the TV selected material as our points of reference. The outside world just a place where you go and do your stultifying job and buy your groceries. The real reality is on the screen.

Others have written extensively on how it has affected the psyche of the billions who spend the equivalent of decades of their life in front a radiating tube.
Not good news what it does to you.

Unless I’ve been somewhere like a bar, I haven’t watched TV since the early 90s.

This has double my free time to do physically and emotionally satidying things, I like to think enhanced my intelligence,
and altogether transformed the quality of my life enormously.

Cure your depression, throw out yout TV set.

Mike F

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
absolutely,,look at teenagers....they have to have the right clothes,,,,or sneakers

the britney spears effect and the effect of all teen pop stars on kids

hannah montana,,,, blue clues, barney,,, it did influence the kids to want the toys wich brought in millions

info mercials---people buy like crazy those stupid ass products so it must work,,,,,also the home shopping network

and don't tell me the msm didn't influenced voters either towards barrack or to mccain during primaries,,, based on which station you watched

i could think of way more examplkes if i wanted,,, but i think the overwhelming answer will be yes so i won't

so,,, yes, absolutely without a doubt

[edit on 12-1-2009 by shortywarn]

new topics

top topics

join