It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Jerks Drive Certain Cars?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Ok We're all familiar with the concept of this thread. We all hold personal believes about certain types of cars and the people that drive them.

Living in Los angeles it seems to me that certain types of personalities drive certain cars. for instance in my experience a majority of people who drive Range Rovers seem to have absolutely no regard for anybody else on the road. after all they are rich, trendy and most importantly going somewhere and doing something more important than you. Everywhere I go around town it seems like if there is a car parked in a red zone, double parked, taking up two spaces, or driving with general disdain for anybody else who is incovenienceing them as they go to where ever they are going. Now keep in mind this is NOT every Range Rover driver but it seems to me to be the majority.

Next up for me is like 75% of all of LA's 3 series BMW drivers. it seems to me like every 40K a year millionairs (people who spend like they are millionairs but make 40K a year) cruise around in these cars trying to get attention for themselves. at stop lights they are reving their engines, driving you insane with their blue super high output halogen lights, riding your tail because they mistake the exhaust leak in your muffler for a supped up toyota and want to race. Parking in handy capped spots because they cant be bothered to look for a legit spot to park. Passing anybody on the shoulder or on the right, cause 50 MPH on the street just ain't fast enough for them. I don't get it.

Whats up with LA's prius drivers. I frequently travel out of LA for work, and it seems like every other city where people own and drive prius cars they are normal thoughtful friendly human beings. but the second I come back to LA it seems like only trendy ,self entitled people drive prius cars. Old ladies racing them up and down the street (weird getting passed by a prius cause I'm not driving fast enough, and I drive plenty fast) Busy moms doing illegal U turns who are too lazy to simply drive around the block. Half the times I've been cut off lately have been from prius drivers. It's like here in LA they think that they are making a green statement or something and that it obsolves them from having to follow the basic laws and rules for the road. After all they are driving a "green" car which gives them karmic leverage over you.

Early 20 something trust fund babies who have no idea about reality or work or how to manage money but they can spend daddies money. Around LA they all seem to drive (other than 3 series BMWs) those used 300IS lexus. Turn signals, what are those. oops did I cut you off so that I can go from the far right parked at the curb across two lanes to the left turn signal at the intersection without looking because I figured everybody would simply just get out of my way, because I'm self centered and only care about me. People will just simply yield to me cause I drive lexus.

Whats weird is that all the people I see driving ferraries and lambroghinis in LA are actually really polite on the road. actually make full stops at stop signs etc... go figure.

So ATS'ers out there in your neck of the woods what cars seems to attract certain drivers. less than savory drivers. What sorta cars drive you nuts. is it the guy with the truck with lifters that stands 8 feet high and rides your tail on the highway. is it the people who drive the mercedes cl's who nearly rear end you at every stop sign because they honestly don't expect you to come to a full stop infact they think your a dick if you don't roll through the stop, and if you do come to a complete stop they will rear end you because they weren't expecting you to actually stop at a stop sign, I mean who does that, stop at a stop sign.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hang on ... runs outside to check...

clip clop clip clop ... runs back to computer...

Yup I specifically always ensure only to drive my car.

I hate Honda CRV drivers. They never pull over and always drive just below the speed limit and speed up whenever you get a chance to pass them. I have come to the conclusion that one must be mentally retarded to choose to buy one. If handed the keys fopr one I think I'd rather walk thanks...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Ahhh. you're talking about the type of drivers who have no situational awareness. never seem to notice or even check whats in their blind spot. and worse it seems like that no matter what you do to try and get out of their blind spot they will either speed up or slow down so that you stay in their blind spot. I can't stand those types ever.

Although I generally don't have aproblem with the CRV I have to agree with you becasue my ex boss' spoiled daughter used to drive one and she was an annoying brat. she would leave her car double parked on the main street run in to her moms office for about 15 minutes while she blocked off a lane to get her daily allowance. she was 22!!! disgusting.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Cars are like your alter ego.

In the same way that an owner looks like it's dog you guys need to be very very scared what type of car you drive.

Don't look Mabel ... Uh too late ... She dun looked

Ok Hands up who owns a Honda Jazz ?
Alright what about a Dihatsu Mira then ?

Yeah I'd be hitting the bottle about now too. :w:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I'll play

I used to be at Minot Air Force Base. The one that kills me up there is the trucks. I use to own a light one myself (Ford Ranger) because frankly, 47 feet of snow in one hour was juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit too much for my Cavalier.

Anywho...this is what I see

I am in a truck. Because I am in a truck I am invincible. I expect you to move out of my way so I can do 60mph down and icy road. My 4WD can take me through anything. I can blast though the deepest snowbars with my 30 inch wheels and move on ice like it's pavement. Here's the catch though truck drivers in Minot...

Your 4WD doesn't mean # when it comes to braking power over black ice.

Want some proof of what I just said? It's real easy

Go to Minot, highway 83 between the base and the town. The first day it snows go southbound and look at all the vehicles in the ditch. The majority are Ford F150's

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

I think many are swayed by societal manipulation. Types of cars, dangerous dogs, clothes, general attitudes etc. Here is an analysis of Hummer drivers by Demetri Martin (in a few minutes - funny all the way through though).

ColoradoJens

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yes not true,I and friends drive Rovers I haven't been pulled over nor had a ticket since 77 was driving an Olds then,the real jerks are the ones that drive Expeditions,Hummers and Beamers,we have a joke here whats the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? the porcupine has it's pricks on the outside lol

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Well Oldtimer I said a majority. there are exceptions to every rule. You are one of them. Although LA range Rover drivers are a breed apart.

Personally I can't stand the lets take up two parking spots at the supermarket with my H2, H3 people. what is their problem. If I were a cop I'd ticket those people with zealotry. If you can't drive your vehicle (ie you don't have the skill to operate it safely) than don't buy it. seriously I see people in H2's dropping down to 5MPH to go over a small ditch or speed bump. the kind of bump that everybody else is driving normally over.

I liked the joke about the BMW's. Just the other day a guy in a BMW 6 series pulls up next to me at a light screaming at me. "where'd you learn to drive you stupid @^#$&@" was all I could make out. Apparently he was mad at me because I wouldn't let him in while he was zig zagging through traffic. You know the type where you look in the rear view mirror and they are lane changing like a mo fo, cutting people off, ridding up on people to intimidate them to drive faster so that they have room to creep ahead and force their way into the next lane over cutting off the next car so that they can get to where ever they are going faster. well he wanted me to either slow down or speed up so that he could squeeze through the space between me and the car next to me and rocket off to where ever he was going. apparently I didn't bow down to him and let him pass through so I got a yelling at by him at the next light. Which he couldn't wait to turn green again. he blew through the red light when the cross direction of traffics green light was turning yellow. I mean he must be in some hurry to not be able to wait 3 more second for the yellow light to finish so that his would turn green. JERK!!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
We seem to have a number of old timers in old pickup trucks that have had their left turn blinker going since 1962.

Beyond that typical mini vans that don't signal.

Edit to add:

yes, I've even seen the stereotypical little old lady in what I call a "land Yacht"

oh, when I refer to old timers, I'm referring to the older generation. Not any posters here.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Deson]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Here's my question. whats up with the guys who drive those pickup trucks with the lifters. you know the kind where the top of the tire sits about two feet below the bottom of the wheel well and there are a bunch of hydraulics in there. the car has the aerodynamics of a brick or worse and the guy insists on redlining the car and weaving through lanes on the highway.

whats the reasoning behind these trucks. do the drivers have a pygmy monster truck fetish. wish their car was the next monster truck if only it wasn't a ford ranger on lifters. whats the deal, just curious. they don't really annoy me but I'm wondering what type of people drive those trucks.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
People that drive really big trucks...and hummers, hummers are the worst. When I was in high school there was a girl who got a brand new hummer when she got her license. I saw this same girl...in a HUMMER...stuck in sand a week after she got the thing.

It's always a hummer that wants to pass me going 900 miles an hour on the freeway and there's always some guy with a truck thinking that they can overtake me in bumper to bumper traffic.

Prius drivers here are far and few between but I lived in California for a long time and Prius drivers there are twats.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I do notice that when two or three lanes of traffic are merging into one line, the make I see trying to jump to the front of the line the most seems to be Lexus.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Correcto mundo about the calirfornia prius drivers. all about asuming since you drive a prius in Beverly hills you must have some sort of karmic leverage over the rest of the world. after all your car is pseudo green after all. live a totally indulgent lifestlye but think that driving a "green car" is somehow better than everybody elses contribution to society even though your electric bill is an average of 1200 dollars in your mansion.

This last rant was referring to LA prius drivers. the ones around the rest of the world seem to be fairly nice people. but in LA it's a trendy thing and rich trendy people seem to drive them.

Know what you mean about school kids getting cars way over their head. who gives a teenager a humvee? THats a smart idea. Not. Everybody with a brain knows that you give your teenagers the cheapest safest car you can find. one that doesn't screw your insurance or your monthly payment to the bank or dealership with crazy high lease payments or whatever.

This girl I knew when she turned 16 her daddy bought her a new, yes new, SL 500 Mercedes. a 90,000 dollar car! before taxes and accessories! Were looking at 95K to 105K for this car. whats the insurance on that after sweety there crashes it a week later? seriously who buy 16 year old cars like this. I know some (not all) rich people who even though they could by their 16 year old bentlys get them circa 1982 volvo 240 DL's to drive their first few years, cause they're not morons.

Funny I was listening to a local talk FM radio station here in LA tonight and they were taking calls from cops asking them whats the most retarded thing you've seen people doing that you pulled them over for. One cop called in LAPD and said that she was driving down the street and some 16 year old in a brand new mercedes that daddy had bought her actually started to honk at her (the LAPD cop) because she was driving too slow. who in their right mind will pull up behind a cop and start honking their horn and yelling at them to drive faster? but thats what this moron did. cop pulled her over. driving on a expired license. towed her car away where they city holds it for a month at 1000 dollars.

But I gotta admit I've seen this type all the time in LA. spoiled clueless teenagers of rich parent. stupid trust fund babies. the other day some girl was in her daddy's lexus. cruising down a major street in LA. (ventura blvd) when she decided that she didn't like the guy next toher for some reason. started swerving in both lanes. throwing a temper tantrum. cut the guy off like three times. Then stopped dead in traffic holding up the street while blocking this guy off to scream at him some more. then people started to drive around her yelling at her, she started getting in to it with the other drivers. the whole time she dressed like some bad trashy version of the chick from clueless or legally blond. except she wasn't hot.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

The vast majority of bad drivers have one thing in common: They are talking on a cellphone, or text messaging. This is the reason there are so many accidents, and I am surprised it is not worse. Do not think you can drive and talk at the same time on your phone (unless you have an earpiece). My brother was talking to his wife via cellphone while driving. He was swerving in and out of his lane, and did not realize it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm not sure what it is exactly that makes people unable to drive while they are on a cell phone. I typically drive with one hand anyway, and I hold conversations with people in the car with me all the time. What is it about that little plastic thing that makes people so unaware!?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yep as you were probably typing your post on this thread yesterday I was swerving out of the way to avoid being sideswiped by some lady texting while driving 45MPH on a mountain road (sepulveda & Mulholland-for those in LA). she was unconcerned about anybody else, kept going into my lane over and over again. especially when she liked to cut the corners of the turn but not checking her mirrors to see if there was anybody in the lane next to her.

Whats worse is this girl looked maybe 22-24 and was driving one of those porsche cayanes (SUV's) errrrrrr!!!!!! Driving daddies 80K car again while texting like a 13 year old and driving on a curvy mountain road-Brilliant. whats up with those people too?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

I think people treat the phone differently than with holding a conversation with passengers. I have observed other people not paying attention to their driving as they speak on phones. I also think tuning the radio can also cause accidents as people want to get that certain station and take their eyes off the road. It takes only a split second to cause an accident.

I drive with my cellphone off, as I do not need that distraction.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Yes and the funny thing is they spend 12,000 on the suspensionand the vehicle never leaves the pavement,weird seeing a truck with 7 in lift and the suspension has been waxed ,guess it's the old Porsche syndrome lol

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
yes - Jerks do drive certain cars......normally they are right next to me everywhere I go.....I wish someone would invent a retractable gun of some sort - one that comes out of my trunk, or hood, or sumum - so I could blast away at all the idiots on the road.....at least I'd get to where I need to go a bit faster......perhaps even save myself a few seconds......

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

i drive a scirocco, it's

anyway what's with PT CRUISERS? AND PT CRUISER DRIVERS?

Sheesh....... the auto industry needs to stop making those things...

I wish every Personal Toilet Cruiser ended up like this one....

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Razimus]

<<   2 >>

join