It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more nukes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

With weaponry like this are Nukes really necessary anymore?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
yes. The bomb dropped on Hiroshima was more than 250 times more powerful, at around 10 kilotons vs about 44 tons TNT equivalent. The bomb dropped on Hiroshima was very small by modern nuke standards (the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated was over a million times more powerful than this!). This bomb is actually more useful, in a way, BECAUSE of how much weaker it is. For one, you could actually use it without international outcry.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The use of nuclear weapons after Hiroshima will never happen. Not unless we get some crazies in the government somewhere who are crazy enough to use them.

They're a symbol of power among nations, if you have a Nuke the US or any other 1st world country can't tell you what to do. It means you have negotiation rights within the U.N, as well as the world stage.

Nukes will always be around.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Nukes are the sole reason another world war has not happened, and may never happen, between the largest and most powerful nations. Since nukes entail assured mutual destruction of both parties, there is therefore no reason to go to war since, because in war, there should be a projected winner. With no possible "winner" in the nuclear war scenario, there is no point to going to war. No nation is really ever known to commit suicide so it is unlikely a nuclear war between two parties with nuclear weapons would occur. If nuclear weapons didn't exist, the USA and the USSR would have gone to war. There is no question about this. They WOULD have gone to war. Absolutely it would have been World War III. However, nuclear weapons turned a possible World War III into the "Cold War."

However, nuclear war between a party (like the USA) and one who is developing nukes (Iran for example) is definitely possible.

India and Pakistan have a very bad system for releasing nuclear weapons. I forget the exact name of this system, but it allows for a quick release of nuclear weapons if any large missile is seen entering their territory on their radar screens. Makes one think about an itchy trigger finger. The reason they use this system is because they are afraid of the "first attack" advantage. Although these relatively insane countries still have that possibility of nuclear conflict, I believe they are sane enough to realize that there is no point to mutual destruction. Would you burn down your enemies house (killing all of them) if it meant burning down your own home and killing yourself and everyone in your family? If you were sane, then no. You would think of any other possible way to bring down your opponent.

Therefore, this terrible bomb of ultimate destructive power, the worst weapon ever unleashed on humanity, may be its very savior. Instead of fighting wars, we must solve problems in more diplomatic ways. Perhaps future wars will be fought economically.

So, no, I think conventional nuclear war between two nuclear powers will never take place. Even with India and Pakistan (knocking on wood right now...). However, I do fear the possibility of nuclear terrorism. Espionage and terrorism will increase. I think we underestimate how nation states finance terrorists. If a nuclear weapon is ever used, I believe nobody will really know who smuggled it in. You know how terrorists usually claim responsibility for things? They wouldn't for this one. If Iran wanted to attack the USA, it wouldn't fire a missile. It would ship small parts in, and then rebuild them somewhere in the USA, and then have one of its agents do the dirty work. I hope this never happens, but if we're looking at possibilities, it is indeed the most useful way to attack someone with a nuclear weapon without too much fear of reprisal. Now you know why the nuclear powers don't want such weapons in the hands of just anyone...

Yes, nuclear weapons will be here as long as we are here. And who knows, we may not be around for long.

top topics

join