It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS 'wristwatch' maps kids whereabouts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
But your child can turn off the cell phone or leave it at home by choice and remain off the grid.

I'm fairly sure that mobile phones which have been switched off, can be pinged anyway.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

IN THE FUTURE - Can I ask where you get your information.... cough cough(crystal ball) Your nuts to think that under our constitution the goverment can invade our privacy with knowing our whearabouts at all times... Hell we cant even get child molestors to sign up like there supposed too. I think your kool-aid drinking has lead you to some loony websites that have given you some false info brother...

Not to mention I have one of these for my daughter who is 11 and I thank god everyday for technology such as this... i can have her up whereabouts on my monitor at all times and if I see something out of the ordinary I can call her on her cellphone. Its one more tool in the arsenal for parents to make sure LOONS and KILLERS dont get near our children,, if you oppose this I tend to worry about your motives.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by alienj]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotty18

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
You clearly are not a parent of small children.

You're clearly wrong, Leo.

I would never use this on my children. To buy one of these wristwatches means that I am supporting the idea of controlled monitoring.

Relevant government agencies will be watching the sales of these units with keen interest. Judging by the replies in this thread, they'll sell better than expected.

So you put your paranoia off the government ahead of caring about the safety of your small child. Wow.

Actually it makes more sense to me that if one were concerned utmost with the saftey of their Small Child, the parent would already know where the small child is at all times, and not have to rely on another babysitter to monitor where it will be -- can't you see the type of families who let the TV babysit and practically raise their kids embrace this technology because it is easier and places the responsibility of the small child's well being on the company's shoulders instead of the parents'?
now what about the threat not coming from the government but rather the company itself being able to track your child at all times. does it seem a little less paranoid to worry about a corporation having this tracking ability or do you think every company is out for the good of your child

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kidney thief

Your crazy, no matter how vigilant a parent is children have a way of getting out of sight, if this device saves "ONE" child its worth its weight in gold. It is the responsiblity to protect the weakest amoung us and this it just one more tool in the toolkit for parents to use. This world is crazy and gets crazy everyday, if someone opposes this I would immediatly be supicious of thier motivation. Are they afraid its going to impede on something nafarious they are planning?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienj
IN THE FUTURE - Can I ask where you get your information.... cough cough(crystal ball) Your nuts to think that under our constitution the goverment can invade our privacy with knowing our whearabouts at all times...

Constitution? What Constitution? The same one that the Bush government has been bypassing for years?

Warrantless wiretaps, anyone?

All they will need to do is to make a claim that you're an enemy combatant and they'll do what they like with you for the sake of national security. Although, it's a little off topic but it shows that trying to hide behind the Constitution won't be much of a defence.

I think your kool-aid drinking has lead you to some loony websites that have given you some false info brother...

Hey, I mainly drink ATS kool-aid. It's a great, moderated flavour. It keeps me alert so I can polish my crystal ball and see that wristlocators will strip away freedoms under the marketing guise of 'protection'.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
It's us parents versus the pedophiles and I'm not about to adopt some sporked up notion that this will escalate to government "sheeplement" just so my paranoid side can feel better at night while in the meantime, the very real pedophiles ... are out, they're networking, they're talking and they're scheming the best way to get ahold of YOUR children.

Why am I the one who's paranoid, when I'm concerned that the government will end up tracking all of our movements?

Read your own words. You would have us all believe that under every rock and standing on every street corner, there's a paedophile waiting to abduct a child! Paranoid, really?

There have always been paedophiles, there will always be paedophiles. However, the government has not always had the increased ability to track us, like this wristlocator allows it to.

Paranoid, really?

How about educating children about "stranger danger" and being aware of themselves and their environment. Not only will it help them when they're younger, it will also help them when they're older.

My "stranger danger" sense is telling me that I don't want government strangers typing my wristcode into a computer and tracking my movements real time. NO WAY!

Is there such a thing as being TOO paranoid when it comes to the safety of your children, or do you adopt a less than pro-active stance on events? Does an abduction close to you have to happen before you start to value the lives of those around you over some government machine watching how many times a week you go to the local Best Buy?

Personally, I really couldn't care whether the government wants to watch me drive, walk, shop, eat, $hit, dress, because I don't even know those people and chances are I'll never meet them in my lifetime.

Meanwhile, "To Catch a Predator" is offering up very real and very scary statistics that pedophiles are, indeed, out there almost everywhere. If my child being safe means I give up some of my own liberties, then that's a choice a gladly make. Go ahead and quote the ever-famous Benjamin Franklin quote about those not deserving freedom who are willing to give up their freedoms, blah blah blah. It's something I disagree with Franklin about and would love to debate him on. I believe the middle ground on this issue is a series of gives and takes. You always have extremists on each side. There will always be someone out there hating your style of life wanting to kill you, ready to infiltrate your society because you are different. On the other hand, there will never be true security because the absolute power needed to protect us sufficiently corrupts, absolutely. We give, we take. There is no perfect solution.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

If my child being safe means I give up some of my own liberties, then that's a choice a gladly make. Go ahead and quote the ever-famous Benjamin Franklin quote about those not deserving freedom who are willing to give up their freedoms, blah blah blah.

Ok, you give up YOUR liberties, fine.

But, when it becomes law for adults to wear these wristlocators, will you also force me to give up MY liberty as well?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blogstalker
Correct me if I am wrong but if cell phones have the GSM aren't most people able to be tracked now.

My kids aren't little but they are never without their phones so I guess I don't need the watch part, just the software to track them.

exactly....

Now all you need is a cell phone and your location can be pinned.
That GPS system in your car?? Almost everything pretty much can be traced.

What's the big deal about a 'wristwatch'???

Sadly... what's next?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Im sorry to be the first one to break it too you but with all the outcry against the warrants and wiretaps and HSA, i have to say if there was one infraction on anyones rights it would have made front page news, by media matter, daily kos or New York times. There has not been one incident where the goverment has been found guilty for using those powers(we gave them) illegally..

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by alienj

you're right, the world is crazy and it gets crazier every day, no argument there. and what is crazy to me is blindly accepting something without questioning it, and yep, this craziness gets worse every day. by you suggesting people like me are planning something nefarious (yeah thats the proper way to spell it) because upon hearing of something for the first time we think critically about it then i dont understand your way of thinking one bit. You havent thought of a single reason why it might not be a good idea? certainly you must have a list in your head of why this device would be a godsend, which is fine. but i like to look at all possibilities, and i can admit that such a device on its surface would have benefits. Im not on the Government Tracking tip as hardcore as the OP is, for the record.

Take kids that grew up in a household with a TV already in place, like my generation in the 80s for instance. We accepted it as a fact of life growing up. The idea of television, and instant entertainment, and the need for gratification imposed by immediately present advertisments in your living room, was imbued in us at a young age and many people (i grew out of it pretty young, many never do tho) still feel they need a TV just the same as they need a fridge or stove in their house.

Same with kids born in recent years with access to the internet already a fact of life for them, they know not how life was without it. They dont remember COmmodore 64s, BBC chat, etc. They need the internet, computer technology, video games.. they dont know life without access to instant information and entertainment. Even those of us who are young enough to grasp this technology and use it daily feel anxious when their intenet connection is down.

Another example is how every teenager MUST have a cell phone or they feel useless without it.

Think of the mindsets of children born with this tracking device already a fact of life for them, say a few years after this tech becomes widespread. Growing up thinking that they must be tracked at all times, feeling naked without it. Think of the anxiety you or someone else has felt without their internet for a few days, or without their cell phone readily available. wouldnt the anxiety of not having a tracker be a little more severe because it is coupled with a constantly looming "threat"?
or is it possible that it could lead to more misbehaved youth revolting against yet another way for the "old man" to keep them in check?
I am just throwing these ideas out for discussion, no need to come back with poorly spelled and articulated responses to how i am crazy with nothing but fear-based rhetoric to illustrate your point. These generational ideas could have a huge impact on the psyche of our future youth.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

If my child being safe means I give up some of my own liberties, then that's a choice a gladly make. Go ahead and quote the ever-famous Benjamin Franklin quote about those not deserving freedom who are willing to give up their freedoms, blah blah blah.

Ok, you give up YOUR liberties, fine.

But, when it becomes law for adults to wear these wristlocators, will you also force me to give up MY liberty as well?

there you go with your crystal ball again, seems to me I remember this rant when cops wanted to put if traffic cams, and security cams on the streets. Hmm many years later, we are much safer for it but I can still here the paranoid loons screaming about thier privacy and that the next step would be cameras in home.

If you want to get real, I bet you have a cellphone that you carry with you. well I hate to be the one to tell u this but you can be tracked thru your cellphone, phone companies also have the ablility to turn on the microphone and listen to you when u do have your cellphone on you. Hmm i dont see people discarding their cellphones.. I just dont understand paranoia but I guess it is a clinical disease and needs to be treated with compasion instead of insults.. I do hope the reationalizations you see here will win your heart and mind over to understand where parents come from... my life is worth nothing if I cannot protect my daughter.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
I find this personally disgusting.

Their actions have now scared parents into thinking a child tracking device is a good thing.

These children will grow up thinking it is a normal part of life, and therefore, will not hesitate to impose it on their own children.

We are only cattle to the elite, and they will make damn sure it gets worse too. Anyone who thinks their quality of life is somehow going to improve in the future under the rule of the satanic elite is a fool.

You make a very good point. Once you get something like that out to a decent size crowd. I could easily see it spreading like a wild fire. Word of mouth to their friends.
'Now I know where lil Timmy is @ all times, I feel so safe, you should get one.'

Once it's accepted..... it becomes natural, the norm.
(For our own good of course)

Originally posted by The Oracle
when a whole generation of kids get used to this device, it will be very easy to convince those future adults to have one indefinitely.

then everybody will be tagged, monitored and controlled. we already live in a surveillance society and we got used to it. the next step is around the corner.

You stated it before I could. It's scary how easy it would be scare/control future generations into the same thing.

Then you're right, it would add another notch to the already long list of ways we can be tracked, traced, or monitored.

I honestly notice more and more every single day how bad it already is.
There is a camera almost every where you go. It's not as bad as over the pond, but you see where it can lead.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

There has not been one incident where the goverment has been found guilty for using those powers(we gave them) illegally..

Isn't that the whole purpose of using powers secretly or illegally?

You're not meant to find out if you or anyone else has been spied upon.

What do you expect the government to do, announce to you that they are illegally tracking you, so you can carry on as normal so they can see what you're up to?

I still don't see why I'm the one who's meant to be paranoid in this thread?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

First of all I can see your grasping at rebuttals to my threads by attacking my spelling. Thats fine, you talk about this day and age, well in this day in age topics are not discussed people just immediately attack those whom they don't agree with. I hardly doubt a teenager at any age wants to be tracked and I do believe in the future teenagers will be the same way. Seems to me your throwing out "what if's" against facts. Fact is a tracking device on a child could save their life. Its a speculation that kids will feel naked without them in the future. If your afraid of loosing your rights then your outcry on this issue is worthless, you need to be worried about the destruction of our capitalist society thru government bailouts. Kids might want the tracking devices in the future but if that is true their also going expect the government to buy it for them.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

You know if you cant understand what an oversight committee is or the check's and balance system that is used on capital hill, nor can you see that every democrat is out to find anything they can on FBI or the CIA or the executive branch than their is no point in my discussing this topic with you. Once again if anything was done wrong and any implications had at least one thread of truth it would be front page news.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Kids might want the tracking devices in the future but if that is true their also going expect the government to buy it for them.

No problem at all. I'm sure that the government will include them as some kind of tax rebate.

They'll even include heavily subsidised rebates to upgrade to the newer models.

Kids will queue up to buy them, when they can also play games, music and have interchangable, colourful control panels. All located on their wrist, 'safe', tracked within 10 metres and impossible to remove without the parent-key that will unlock it.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

First of all I can see your grasping at rebuttals to my threads by attacking my spelling. Thats fine, you talk about this day and age, well in this day in age topics are not discussed people just immediately attack those whom they don't agree with. I hardly doubt a teenager at any age wants to be tracked and I do believe in the future teenagers will be the same way. Seems to me your throwing out "what if's" against facts. Fact is a tracking device on a child could save their life. Its a speculation that kids will feel naked without them in the future. If your afraid of loosing your rights then your outcry on this issue is worthless, you need to be worried about the destruction of our capitalist society thru government bailouts. Kids might want the tracking devices in the future but if that is true their also going expect the government to buy it for them.

is the point of discussion not "what if's?" thats the only way i am going to see your point of view, or you see mine. is not your phrase "I do believe" a speculation?? i do not feel personally that my rights are in danger because i will not have one, nor have i gotten rid of my cell phone even though you lyingly say 'I hate to be the one to tell you you can be tracked by it' (paraphrase).
"Fact is", not having one of these could only exacerbate the risk of being abducted as an abductor will be on the lookout for one.
The "attacking" you about spelling was meant to illustrate how ridiculous your attacking me by calling me crazy and up to nefarious plots is but i suppose that went over your head, my bad.
And your statement of if people do want to have the trackers then they would want the government to pay for them, looks more like an argument for the OPs point of government interference into our lives, just the same as any government bailout is an interference. You seem to be arguing with yourself now.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by kidney thief]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Meanwhile, "To Catch a Predator" is offering up very real and very scary statistics that pedophiles are, indeed, out there almost everywhere.

To Catch a predator focuses on pedophiles trying to get to kids via the internet. Stop them from getting on myspace, don't put a gps tracker on them. Get involved and know who they are talking to. Make them know that if they feel uncomfortable in a situation that they can talk to you about it whatever it is. Make sure they know that this is right and this is wrong. Then the problem can be addressed before it even gets to the point in some cases.

Stranger Danger is much more effective because it teaches kids to seek help immediately. A GPS will likely lead you to someone long after they are gone. Also, what of the things that happen in familiar places. Once again a gps isn't going to tell you what is going on at that time, just that they are at a "safe place."

Statistically most abductions occur from a known family member or friend. They will likely know of the GPS wristwatch rendering it effectively useless.

I understand worrying about your kids but this is like putting a gps on teens kids car. If you would have put one on my car i would have parked my car somewhere familiar and rode with someone else.

The thing is, it will make parents lazy knowing they don't have to ask their kids where they were at today or what they did today because it is already know. I'm not saying all parents will be like this but i know quite a few who definitely will.

I find it just like the kid leash from the eighties.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by dantrav]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The problem with stanger danger and knowing where you child is people think that is enough and it isn't and your missing other risks.

look at where children have been abducted from, hotel rooms, gardens, there own bedroom, on there way home from school.

Look at what Pedophiles do they get jobs in schools, become scout leaders get involved with the church (so they become trusted) anything where they can get access to children. It's only the ones we know about that we stop getting those jobs.

If you can find facts about abused and attacked children you find the largest group of attackers is relatives, the second will be people who's work/volunteering gives them access to children and the smallest group will be a stranger to the child.

This watch could be helpful, but only in some cases.

And of course stranger danger is important and it's success has no doubt helped reduce the attacks by strangers, but this why pedophiles use the internet it allows then to get to know the child and then the child no longer see them as a stranger, so you need to teach your child to even be careful with people they do know.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

After reading what Bridgette's killer did to her;
Bridgette would have had her arm hacked off.

Horrifyingly BRUTAL presumption there, Exuberant1; I disagree!
I speculate that a predator with devious sexual intentions would want his captive in one piece; not freshly amputated, screaming, and bleeding to death in the public place of abduction for anyone to hear. But I could be wrong, in this day of age, with so much violence and uncaring of fellow human beings.

once the first 'News' stories are played about the victim's arm being removed...

Good point you mention here, YES the news is certainly deployed to achieve a desired response, but in Bridgett's case, it was only briefly announced once, and then never again. No live coverage, no follow-up, no family interviews, no profile of her murderer; and NO MENTION THAT THE LOCAL SYCAMORE, IL POLICE KNEW ABOUT robert bevington STALKING BRIDGETT ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That's why I cancelled satellite TV for good. It's WORTHLESS

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join