It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS 'wristwatch' maps kids whereabouts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

GPS 'wristwatch' maps kids whereabouts

www.news.com.au

A BRITISH technology firm has invented an electronic babysitter - a wristwatch-like device that lets parents know where their children are at all times.

The GPS Child Locator, or num8, attaches securely to a child's wrist and contains a Global Positioning System (GPS), said Matthew Salmon, a spokesman for the manufacturer, lok8u.

"It uses GPS and GSM (Global System for Mobiles) technology with an accuracy of 10 feet (3m)," he said. "It tracks your child."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The company has received thousands of enquiries the article says. Half positive and half negative. They claim that it gives 'you freedom of mind'.

Unreal. This is dangerous.

In further breaking news (in the future) the government will issue a decree that we all have to wear these things. We won't be able to take them off unless we report to a police check point. We'll all be confined to our local perimeters. If we wish to leave that perimeter, we will need to fill out an application and pay the appropriate fee. Failure will result in immediate detention.

Scary scary world ahead. I can not believe that people want to embrace this technology. I'll never put one on my children.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

In further breaking news (in the future) the government will issue a decree that we all have to wear these things. We won't be able to take them off unless we report to a police check point. We'll all be confined to our local perimeters. If we wish to leave that perimeter, we will need to fill out an application and pay the appropriate fee. Failure will result in immediate detention.

Where does it state this in the artcle? Or did you make this part up?

Regardless the whole idea of the childs watch is silly, they can just take it off and leave it at home or something, making the whole thing pointless.

Mikey

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikey84
Where does it state this in the artcle? Or did you make this part up?

I made that part up, as that's what's going to happen. They're marketing it now as being a safety device for your child. Then it will be ex-criminals, then it will be people on restraining orders. Then it will be people on terrorist watch lists, before it finally becomes the ordinary person in the street.

Regardless the whole idea of the childs watch is silly, they can just take it off and leave it at home or something, making the whole thing pointless.

Did you read the article? As soon as it's taken off, it sends an SMS warning message. They've already thought of people daring to take them off.

He said the company had received thousands of inquiries about the device since launching it this week. "Fifty per cent are positive, 50 per cent are negative, that it's a bit Big Brotherish," he said. "But it's really just about letting you have freedom of mind."

There you go, they admit it. It's Big Brother. Welcome to the New World Order.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong but if cell phones have the GSM aren't most people able to be tracked now.

My kids aren't little but they are never without their phones so I guess I don't need the watch part, just the software to track them.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blogstalker
Correct me if I am wrong but if cell phones have the GSM aren't most people able to be tracked now.

But your child can turn off the cell phone or leave it at home by choice and remain off the grid.

This 'wristwatch' sends an alert as soon as it is taken off. You will know instantly if your child has removed it and where they are.

The government will know instantly if you ever dare to take your 'wristwatch' off and where you are too... well, give it a few years.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I will assume that this is mainly for small children and not teens.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yes I see your point about not being able to take off the wrist band. And I can't imagine trying to get a teenager to wear it. Although they sleep with the cells, perhaps I will keep the GSM tid bit to myself.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotty18

I'm assuming that the next models will be for anyone who has a wrist.

Failing that, there's always an ankle or neck to secure the device.

Age won't matter.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It is one thing to make a criminal wear it, there are already the ankle bracelets, or to have a pervert wear it. But there will be millions of civil liberties groups in court stopping the "rest of us" from having to wear it.

Children and underage are different but once 18....

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Age won't matter.

I assure you they do make versions for all ages, but they are mainly for keeping track of small children and if you are so paranoid about the future that you prefer to not take precautions for children then I weep for you.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Age won't matter.

Good thing you already know what your in for, mate.

I suppose you'll go down fighting.

Good luck with life.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Did you read the article? As soon as it's taken off, it sends an SMS warning message. They've already thought of people daring to take them off.

This 'wristwatch' sends an alert as soon as it is taken off. You will know instantly if your child has removed it and where they are.

No, you won’t know where your child is, you will know where they removed the watch. All the child has to do is remove it and throw it in the bin.... sure you will get a text showing where the bin is located, you won’t find the child.

Same is someone kidnaps the child, they’ll cut it off, all you will find is where it was cut off. It can’t continue to track the child if it’s not on them!

It’s the same when people say the government can track me by my mobile phone – No, they can track my mobile phone, not me.

Mikey

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

if you are so paranoid about the future that you prefer to not take precautions for children then I weep for you.

Paranoid? How am I being paranoid by stating what will happen?

It's fairly easy to buy into their marketing campaign. They'll make ALL parents feel guilty for NOT having one of these locator wristwatches around their child. You're already doing the same thing by stating that I am not taking this precaution for my children.

They'll pass laws that children won't be allowed in public places, unless they have a locator (subsidised by government money, of course). Refusal will mean that your child will be discriminated against and will be singled out for not wearing the locator wristwatch. They won't be allowed into fairgrounds, etc. It will stem from there. They'll market it along the lines of avoiding having lost children.

I can see the MASSIVE conspiracy behind this technology. We are on a conspiracy based website and this news item PROVES that it's all been green-lit. In future, you will be tracked. You will have anything BUT freedom of mind.

Of course, if you've got nothing to hide, then you'll never object to wearing one, right?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

if you are so paranoid about the future that you prefer to not take precautions for children then I weep for you.

It's fairly easy to buy into their marketing campaign. They'll make ALL parents feel guilty for NOT having one of these locator wristwatches around their child. You're already doing the same thing by stating that I am not taking this precaution for my children.

They'll pass laws that children won't be allowed in public places, unless they have a locator (subsidised by government money, of course). Refusal will mean that your child will be discriminated against and will be singled out for not wearing the locator wristwatch. They won't be allowed into fairgrounds, etc. It will stem from there. They'll market it along the lines of avoiding having lost children.

I can see the MASSIVE conspiracy behind this technology. We are on a conspiracy based website and this news item PROVES that it's all been green-lit. In future, you will be tracked. You will have anything BUT freedom of mind.

Of course, if you've got nothing to hide, then you'll never object to wearing one, right?

You're right, you are not being paranoid at all.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

No, you won’t know where your child is, you will know where they removed the watch.

They'll market that with positive spin. Would you rather look for your lost child not knowing where he last was or would you rather look for your lost child knowing where he last was within 10 metres?

This model won't prevent kidnappings. Future models will probably be a lot more difficult to remove and might even contain audio recording, or possibly pin-hole webcams. Then, you'll be able to see and hear the kidnappers, which will give you more leads to finding your child.

Parents will be irresponsbile not to have one of them. Buy three for the price of two, they'll discount for multiple births.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Well, the fact that you already know the future has nothing to do with it.

... that's for sure!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I am a parent and the threat of someone easily taking a child is very real. Especially when im out and about and have creepy men already coming up to her and telling her how pretty she is (she is not even in school yet). In the blink of an eye, she can be missing. And there is NO way im going to take the chance of her disappearing and there being zero trace of her.

I have absolutely NO issue with ME knowing where my child is at all times. And I love this idea.

Although I think the watch is faulty (can be removed easily) there are plenty of other devices out there.

Id love for you to go tell a parent of a missing child how you think this is a ridiculous idea
You clearly are not a parent of small children.

[edit on 1/11/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

No, you won’t know where your child is, you will know where they removed the watch.

They'll market that with positive spin. Would you rather look for your lost child not knowing where he last was or would you rather look for your lost child knowing where he last was within 10 metres?

This model won't prevent kidnappings. Future models will probably be a lot more difficult to remove and might even contain audio recording, or possibly pin-hole webcams. Then, you'll be able to see and hear the kidnappers, which will give you more leads to finding your child.

Parents will be irresponsbile not to have one of them. Buy three for the price of two, they'll discount for multiple births.

Really? They'll market it with a positive spin?

That's a really good prediction. I would have never thought that anything would be marketed like that.

Are you in marketing? If not, you should be. There are too many products nowadays being marketed by their producers negatively as if their marketers don't want people buying the product.

On Paranoiland, everything ends in government tracking and control, doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I am a parent and the threat of someone easily taking a child is very real. Especially when im out and about and have creepy men already coming up to her and telling her how pretty she is (she is not even in school yet). In the blink of an eye, she can be missing. And there is NO way im going to take the chance of her disappearing and there being zero trace of her.

I have absolutely NO issue with ME knowing where my child is at all times. And I love this idea.

Although I think the watch is faulty (can be removed easily) there are plenty of other devices out there.

Id love for you to go tell a parent of a missing child how you think this is a ridiculous idea
You clearly are not a parent of small children.

[edit on 1/11/2009 by greeneyedleo]

I agree. I asked my 9 year old a few months ago,

", would you feel safe if you had a magic watch or necklace that always told me exactly where you were so I could find you?"

She of course, said yes.

As far as I'm concerned, the government is much less of a threat than child molesters.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join