It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Lost:' Season Five Discussion...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

The plane was going to Guam right? I can't imagine why Sayid, if detained as it appeared, would be taken to Guam...why not Iraq or back to America?

My guess is that Sayid was arrested for crimes he did while working for Ben, and Ben tipped off the authorities to get Sayid on the plane. Remember, Sayid did some nefarious things for Ben for some time. Guam could have just been a stop on a flight back to some place he was wanted for such a crime.

Given that, Sayid emerges as another possible reason Ben could be black and blue.

My guess is that Richard Albert is with Locke when he hangs himself. Remember, Locke was already fully aware he had to die...(the Jesus (Locke)/doubting Thomas (Jack) allegory from the last episode anyone?)

I think Hurley's almost in a state of shock. He doesn't want to go back to the island, and he doesn't want to do anything Ben wants. However, he does listen to the spirits and knows they don't steer him wrong, so he's conflicted....and isn't his normal self...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
yeah the ben kneeling in front of locke. and spot on with all the idea's.

veeeery interesting i have some theories but im too tired to post maybe tomorrow... my brain hurts from lostitis

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Richard Alpert! I don't know why I didn't think of him..more than likely that's exactly who it is kneeling next to Locke, good thinking.

As for Sayid, you're probably right. If Ben had tried to kill Penny and failed, Desmond would have killed him. If Ben did kill Penny, Desmond would have killed him. So Sayid was probably the one who opened the can of whoop arse.

Speaking of Richard Alpert, why does he never age? I wish they'd do an episode centered on him, that'd be awesome. He seems to have the potential for the most interesting background story, yet we are kept in the dark about him. Really grinds my gears.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
A show based on Richard would be great!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
One idea for Richard is that maybe he was actually conceived and born on the island. This may be an explanation for how he seems immune to the time issues, and seemingly can freely come and go to the island. Another idea is that Richard may be much like Christian Sheppard....a ghost (at least in present time).

I sometimes wonder if Jacob will turn out to be "God", with Richard being "Jesus", and Locke being "Lazarus". Admittedly though, some of Richard's actions aren't very "Jesus-like"... Maybe C. Sheppard serves as a Metatron (voice of God)?

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Another great episode! Even though I kind of thought that Ben would kill Locke, it was still shocking that it actually occurred. I can't believe Abaddon died, it was so shocking, too! So who do we believe, Widmore or Ben? And what of this looming war? Here is the trailer for the next episode, "LaFleur."

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

Great episode. I was right, it was Ben in that room, of course he was lying, haha.

What I don't get is why the sudden change of mind once he mentioned Hawking's name? hmmm.

When the driver guy got shot, it was very realistic, that made it a bit shocking!

Also where were those plane survivors staying? was it some dharma building?

And that Moroccan guy, is he suspicious? Cesar right? Why was he hiding a gun? hmmm

[edit on 26-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
So did Locke have to be murdered? He was going to kill himself and if he did that would it of stopped everything? Who do we trust? The only thing I know to be certain is the survivors of flight 815. The rest of these people are so manipulating that I have no idea who to trust or who to say is bad? I can say that Michael Emerson ( Ben ) is so good on this show. I want to kill him but what if he is the good guy? lol

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yep, Ben murdering Locke was a bit surprising...but even moreso after learning about Locke's knowledge of Hawking. This would seem to confirm Widmore's statements about Ben not wanting John to be the new leader... Even earlier, on the island, Ben took steps to bring down John as the leader...

Abbadon was a red shirt...pretty much figured he'd die at some point.

Should be interesting to see the conversation between Ben and Locke after Ben wakes up...

Was nice to see a nod to Walt...seemed like they had something in mind for him in earlier seasons, but then dropped the idea....it seemed like this episode just tied up the loose end...as far as Walt goes.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Best season yet? ...anyone?

I know the first season is always tough to overcome when the initial plot and foundation of characters are developed. But this current season is a personal favorite.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Yes, it's definitely got me back into watching it the night it airs....vs. the next day...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I managed to watch the entire thing - from season 1 to 5 - within a month. I do that because I dont like waiting week for week. So I let a series run a few years before starting with it. Anyway, the whole series is still fresh in memory and I have 3 more episodes to go before I finally catch up with you guys.

What I like about Lost is...Ive never seen a series change genre like that. What started out as a soap-opera/adventure (season 1), slowly turned into mystery/spiritual (season 2) and then suddenly into paranoid science-fiction (season 3 and 4). Season 5 combines it all.

Im not a big fan of Kates role...the dishonesty and undecidedness is annyoing. Juliette, Locke, Ben and Sun are my favs.

I´ll have caught uo soon.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I did the same with this show. Season 5 is my first one watching.

I watched seasons 1-4 in a span of 2-3 weeks.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
chissler: I did notice that we were doing that at the same time. Its pretty intense doing it that way.

How do you guys see the seasons in comparison? I dont think Season 5 is the "best yet". It has the potential to become that, but it is not yet, imo. The reason is that its introducing a bit too many loose ends and time-paradoxes for it to have any consistency. But that may change.

A personal ranking:

Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 1
Season 2

[edit on 28-2-2009 by Skyfloating]

[edit on 28-2-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I'll give it some consideration and post a ranking later. But season 4 is definitely at the bottom of my ranking. Not that it was terrible. As a stand alone season of television, it was good. But to say an episode or season of Lost was just "good", that's not making the grade.

They've set the bar so high themselves so when they don't keep blowing us away, they become a victim of their own success.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
What I don't get is why the sudden change of mind once he mentioned Hawking's name? hmmm.

I think Ben killed Locke because Locke was not going to try to get Sun to come back to the island, and, for some reason, Ben needed all the Oceanic 6 to come back. If Locke didn't intend to try to bring Sun back (by saying that Jin was dead), Ben's plan would be ruined.

Also where were those plane survivors staying? was it some dharma building?

I thought it was the Hydra station, and so they would be on the other island. Maybe this is not the case, though. There was a scene, however, showing someone looking across the ocean and another larger island could be seen, so maybe I am right.

And that Moroccan guy, is he suspicious? Cesar right? Why was he hiding a gun? hmmm

Yeah. Let's not forget, though, that a lot of the survivors of the flight 815 crash were sneaky at first (hell, they still are).

Originally posted by Solarskye
So did Locke have to be murdered? He was going to kill himself and if he did that would it of stopped everything?

I don't think so. Even if he killed himself, he would still be dead. Ben could have, if this was the case, just tied up the loose ends to support his own plan, like stating that Jin is alive and etc.

Originally posted by Gazrok
This would seem to confirm Widmore's statements about Ben not wanting John to be the new leader...

Yeah, but who should we trust as a good guy? Or, because both of them have done pretty evil things, who can be viewed as more good? This is a great question!

Was nice to see a nod to Walt...seemed like they had something in mind for him in earlier seasons, but then dropped the idea....it seemed like this episode just tied up the loose end...as far as Walt goes.

It was nice, but I didn't really like it. For me, it was weird. They talked a bit (and not even about much) and it was over. Walt didn't even seem to press Locke for more information about his, Walt's, father, unless Walt somehow can sense that everything is/will be okay (I don't, however, think he can do this). His dream of Locke being in trouble was cool, though. That's foreshadowing alright.

Originally posted by chissler
Best season yet? ...anyone?

Sure is. I am just having some issues with keeping up with the times (I am sure it will all tie up, though). Rewatching is a must this season!

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I managed to watch the entire thing - from season 1 to 5 - within a month. I do that because I dont like waiting week for week. So I let a series run a few years before starting with it. Anyway, the whole series is still fresh in memory and I have 3 more episodes to go before I finally catch up with you guys.

Welcome to the party!

Here is an updated list of episode titles/centrics:

Episode 5.08
Title: "LaFleur."
Centric: Sawyer.

Episode 5.09
Title: "Namaste."
Centric: Unknown.

Episode 5.10
Title: "He's Our You."
Centric: Sayid.

Episode 5.11
Title: "Whatever Happened, Happened."
Centric: Ben (?).

Episode 5.12
Title: "Dead is Dead."
Centric: (?).

Episode 5.13
Title: "Some Like It Hoth."
Centric: Daniel (?).

Episode 5.14
Title: "The Variable."
Centric: Desmond.

Looks like the island, as Hawking said, is not done with Desmond after all! Episode 14 is his centric, which is very close to the end of the season. Maybe something major happens in this episode.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I am loving this series also.....

It is getting a bit confusing though for me.....as some have said, this season will probably need to be re-watched.

Do you think that Ben didn't know about Hawking and her knowledge of getting back to the island, and that is why Ben initially "saved" Locke from killing himself just so he could get this info from him? Then once he had the name, Locke had to die. I'm not sure....

Indeed, is everyone including the new crash victims all on the same island?

Ben is a very frustrating character to watch, sometimes I think he is very bad, other times, I believe he is good.....I just don't know what to think of him anymore.

Just trying to keep up with the time jumps and putting everything in perspective with regards to a time line hurts my head.....but it is a good hurt, and I love it......

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Why is Locke alive again on the island? Does this bring back the question...is the island related to death, or the near death experience?

Maybe the Oceanic 6 weren't meant to go back because they were dead, and their time was up? Did they find a way of cheating death? Is the island (purgatory) in turmoil because they weren't supposed to leave?

none of them seem to have been very happy back in the real world......were they missing their souls?

I'm just blathering on....sorry

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Did the original Oceanic 6 disappear into a different time period from the rest of the new crash victims?

Why did Locke or Ben not go?

They weren't part of the original Oceanic 6 that left the island.

What time period are Locke and Ben in?

What time period are the Oceanic 6 in?

So many questions.....

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by celticniall

Ben is a very frustrating character to watch, sometimes I think he is very bad, other times, I believe he is good.....I just don't know what to think of him anymore.

One of the most interesting techniques used in the series is that the borders between "good" and "bad" are foggied and ambivalent.

Ben is of course criminally insane when he says stuff like "Who cares?" (about possible crash victims), but he may be "good" compared to an even greater evil.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join