It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions surround shooting of baseballer's son

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Robbie Tolan sits in a Houston, Texas, hospital bed with a bullet from a police officer's gun lodged in his liver. The son of a famed baseball player was shot in his own driveway.

But how this unarmed 23-year-old and his cousin ended up in the cross-hairs of an officer's gun, suspected of stealing a car, is a question sparking allegations of racial profiling.

"There's no doubt in my mind that if these had been white kids this does not happen," said David Berg, Tolan's attorney.

It was 2 a.m. on December 31 when Tolan and his cousin, Anthony Cooper, were confronted in the driveway of their home by Bellaire, Texas, police officers. Police officials say the officers suspected the two young men were driving a stolen car.

Bellaire is a prominent, mostly white suburb in southwest Houston.

I would have put this in breaking news along with all the other police-murdering-innocent-people threads but the story was a couple of days too old. This is becoming more and more a problem. These stories all have one thing in common, they all have young black men. Now I'm not saying that all police are racists, because that would be unfair. But all police protect each other DESPITE obvious criminal circumstances. We cannot keep allowing the police to police themselves. Something has to be done, the house has to be cleaned or it may be you with several bullets in your back tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
yeah,,, but i bet that cop is thinking,,, damn i picked the wrong kid

i'm sure they figure most people won't care and many don't have the wealth to fight it to win,,, so we'll be in the clear

the kids father probably has a nice nugget and also the personal profile to get media attention

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Looks like another incident of "DWB", Driving While Black.

It's only natural for the police to assume that two young Black men, driving their own car into their own driveway of their own house, in God forbid, a mostly white neighborhood, would be up to something nefarious.

(note the sarcasm, for those that don't comprehend it)

Suspected of driving a stolen car? Did the police not radio it in to determine if the car was stolen? But of course if it's driven by two young Black men, it must've been stolen huh? The cops will probably be given a pat on the back for a "job well done".

join